Trade Barker & Milanovich for O'Shea & Walters?

BigBlue

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

In Fantasyland, this trade would be interesting. The Toronto managerial talent is better & proven. The Winnipeg duo holds out hope, promise and dreams. If I was CEO I think I would make the trade.

Wow...it never ceases to amaze me when I pop on here and read this type of crap.    

You want the guy who gave us a 1st round pick for Drew Willy?  He also let Harris go and stayed with ol' man Ray.    Barkers sheen has worn off and right now Walters is leap years ahead of him.  Milanovich is a good coach but it was evident that even he showed his weakness when he had to play an not ready for prime time QB. 

So, not in a million years would I want that duo here. 

5 hours ago, BigBlue said:

In Fantasyland, this trade would be interesting. The Toronto managerial talent is better & proven. The Winnipeg duo holds out hope, promise and dreams. If I was CEO I think I would make the trade.

What have they proven? That when they are gifted a legendary QB they can win? Or that they can develop QB's and immediately let them go? Or that they can lose a locker room? Sorry just trying to figure out what they've proven. And considering Football is a "what have you done lately" business...the question is, What have they done lately? I'm not sure based on that alone, how anyone could want to make a trade like you're suggesting.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

What have they proven? That when they are gifted a legendary QB they can win? Or that they can develop QB's and immediately let them go? Or that they can lose a locker room? Sorry just trying to figure out what they've proven. And considering Football is a "what have you done lately" business...the question is, What have they done lately? I'm not sure based on that alone, how anyone could want to make a trade like you're suggesting.

It is hilariously ironic that they got Ricky Ray (future HOFer, arguably one of the all-time best) for basically a bag of balls.... yet they had to trade the farm for Drew Willy... :wacko:

7 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Arblows:

2013: 11-7    2014: 8-10  2015: 10-8   2016: 5-13

Bombers:

2013: 3-15  2014: 7-11  2015: 5-13  2016: 11-7 

I like how we trend vs TO. Elated that you are not making Cheif Executive decisions for the Bombers. 

I am not sure Toronto's demise has not been more financial than incompetence ... a lot of talent has come out of Toronto including Collaros & Harris ... over all is ownership and that is the big variable here ... Barker has done a lot until the last couple of years and it might be the purse strings ... Milanovich is a top coordinator .... his mind has not suddenly gone to mush ... but it is certainly true that the Ricky Ray thing has been an ever growing disaster ... how much did that contribute to cutting half their receiving corp in one day? Bad decisions happen to those with good judgment: just look at that 61 yard dead air field goal attempt that may have cost the western final or even the grey cup .... when well financed Toronto has been a competitive club under Barker and I don't feel he is a has-been .... the big question is whether a Milanovich offense requires a Cavillo ... maybe.

45 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I am not sure Toronto's demise has not been more financial than incompetence ... a lot of talent has come out of Toronto including Collaros & Harris ... over all is ownership and that is the big variable here ... Barker has done a lot until the last couple of years and it might be the purse strings ... Milanovich is a top coordinator .... his mind has not suddenly gone to mush ... but it is certainly true that the Ricky Ray thing has been an ever growing disaster ... how much did that contribute to cutting half their receiving corp in one day? Bad decisions happen to those with good judgment: just look at that 61 yard dead air field goal attempt that may have cost the western final or even the grey cup .... when well financed Toronto has been a competitive club under Barker and I don't feel he is a has-been .... the big question is whether a Milanovich offense requires a Cavillo ... maybe.

Money should not be a problem with MLSE now owning the club, rumour has it they have a bag or two.

54 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Barker has done a lot until the last couple of years and it might be the purse strings

Alright, I'll bite.  Define a lot.  Outside the Ray trade, what has he actually done as a GM?  Any points he earned on that fleecing may have been negated by the Willy trade.  Walters bent him over so bad, he probably still can't sit down.

His career record as GM is under .500 in nine seasons with Toronto & Calgary (77-84-1).  In Calgary, his team got worse every season until he was replaced by Huff.  Under his watch in Toronto, they stuck with a broken, aging QB and lost 2 potential replacements as they left for chances to start elsewhere.  Tight purse strings had nothing to do with the fact that they couldn't control their players and had to release the majority of their receiving core.

And you want to bring that here?

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Alright, I'll bite.  Define a lot.  Outside the Ray trade, what has he actually done as a GM?  Any points he earned on that fleecing may have been negated by the Willy trade.  Walters bent him over so bad, he probably still can't sit down.

His career record as GM is under .500 in nine seasons with Toronto & Calgary (77-84-1).  In Calgary, his team got worse every season until he was replaced by Huff.  Under his watch in Toronto, they stuck with a broken, aging QB and lost 2 potential replacements as they left for chances to start elsewhere.  Tight purse strings had nothing to do with the fact that they couldn't control their players and had to release the majority of their receiving core.

And you want to bring that here?

Did not Barker whip Calgary 35-22 in the 2012 100th Grey Cup?

Did he not dig up that talent to do so?

Has he not (save Ray) done a good job with QBs?

Did he not do well as long as he was the head coach?

Did his troubles not start with Milanovich? (and Ray?)

Does he not know as much as most veteran GM's in the league?

Or is Barker now just old and crodgity?

12 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

The Argos won the 2012 Grey Cup. He was the GM. He did not bring in Ray or Owens, who were their best players.

Same question as above.

Good job with QBs? Explain. He already had Ray.

Milanovich was the HC during the Grey Cup. Ray was the QB during the Grey Cup. He can't be praised for them and then blame them when things come apart.

Knowing stuff and execution are two different things.

EDIT: He barely put an imprint on that 2012 Grey Cup championship team. And his teams have only been to one Grey Cup.

Edited by JCon

You know how much a Grey Cup is worth?

Ask any Bomber fan!

Don't  under value Barker's role in that cup.

" Good job with QBs? Explain. He already had Ray. "

First of all he got Ray, we didn't.

Second he recruited a lot of fine QBs like Collaros & Harris and then developed them.

Third he put together the talent and chemistry to win it all that year even if there was already some talent such as Owens that you pointed out. Grey Cups don't happen by magic ... it takes real talent...

Fourth he did what he did inspite of working with a circus for owners...

Barker has real stuff

9 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

You know how much a Grey Cup is worth?

Ask any Bomber fan!

Don't  under value Barker's role in that cup.

" Good job with QBs? Explain. He already had Ray. "

First of all he got Ray, we didn't.

Second he recruited a lot of fine QBs like Collaros & Harris and then developed them.

Third he put together the talent and chemistry to win it all that year even if there was already some talent such as Owens that you pointed out. Grey Cups don't happen by magic ... it takes real talent...

Fourth he did what he did inspite of working with a circus for owners...

Barker has real stuff

He recruited QBs and let them walk away. He's stuck with a broken-down Ray and a broken Willy.

I'm not discounting the value of a Grey Cup but all that value has been spent. Look no further than the stands. That Grey Cup may as well have been 20 years ago.

He has not been able to field a quality team in years, despite the East being a dumpster fire.

28 minutes ago, JCon said:

The Argos won the 2012 Grey Cup. He was the GM. He did not bring in Ray or Owens, who were their best players.

Same question as above.

Good job with QBs? Explain. He already had Ray.

Milanovich was the HC during the Grey Cup. Ray was the QB during the Grey Cup. He can't be praised for them and then blame them when things come apart.

Knowing stuff and execution are two different things.

EDIT: He barely put an imprint on that 2012 Grey Cup championship team. And his teams have only been to one Grey Cup.

He was the GM when they traded for Ray.

He knows how to find a qb, he just doesn't know how to hold on to a qb, which is the really the most important part of developing a qb.

35 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I'll give him some credit for what he's done.  The Ray trade (along with Drew Tate getting injured) got him the 100th Grey Cup.  One year of success doesn't erase the rest of his career though.

QB's:  Full marks for Collaros.  Barker put him on the neg list and brought him in.  When healthy, Collaros is a great QB.  The book is still out on Harris.  He had a shot to replace Burris and failed... we'll see how he does over the next couple seasons.  His decision to cut those guys loose & stick with Ray has to lose points though.  Same with the decision to over pay for a broken Drew Willy.  2 positives cancelled out by 2 negatives.

He never had a winning record in any of his 4 seasons as a head coach... finishing with a 9-9 record (twice) was a close as he came.  The other 2 seasons he was a combined 11-25.  Milanovich won the Grey Cup as HC, so if he deserves the blame, he also deserves the praise.

He didn't know enough not to trade for Drew Willy... every other GM did.