The Expansion Draft

Ducky

14 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I think that if the draft were tomorrow and the Jets went 8-1, they would protect Lowry and leave MP exposed.

Vegas if they picking any Jets I think they would pick Copp assuming Lowry protected and MP exposed.

Reasons? Younger, gonna outscore MP, Armia. So far not hit by injury bug.

What about their AHL team? They gonna share with someone or even have a team next year?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I think they take MP without too much thought if Lowry is protected. They'd probably take Armia, dano, and MP before Copp. In MP, they have an experienced center that helps them make the salary cap floor. The Jets have invested too much into Lowry and are very high on him and I think they would protect him if it were tomorrow. IMO he is a really good 4C or an average 3C but what do I know?

They have their work cut out for them and a lot on their plate. They will draft some players that can be sent down without waivers but they gotta fit that around the expansion draft  and entry draft AND the many deals that will be proposed to them. For instance, Chevy says pick Lipon/Kosmo and we'll send you a 2nd for a 5th at the draft table or something along those lines. They get a 2nd and a good farm team player for a 5th.  There are some people that think that Matthias was signed just for this purpose. A really interesting time coming up and I think an extra flurry of moves before the draft.

I don't think there is any rule about trading a player they select.  They can't buy any of the players they select out for a year.  These are the only restrictions I've seen from the Vegas side of things when they do the expansion draft.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592 

The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

• 2 weeks later...

If Chevy does something (trade or a deal with Vegas) to let us do the 7-3-1, do we protect...

Wheeler Little Scheif Dano Armia Lowry MP and expose Matthias and Copp?

Hutch would take care of the goalie and Stuart the D man. Chiarot would if signed or given a qualifying offer.

16 hours ago, Ducky said:

If Chevy does something (trade or a deal with Vegas) to let us do the 7-3-1, do we protect...

Wheeler Little Scheif Dano Armia Lowry MP and expose Matthias and Copp?

Hutch would take care of the goalie and Stuart the D man. Chiarot would if signed or given a qualifying offer.

Probably. And we probably lose Copp. Which isn't terrible all things considered. But not great either. 

They could always take a guy from the Moose like Kosmachuk. I don't think MP will be exposed tho. He signed 4 years.  Jets won't let him go for free. I think they find a way to protect more forwards... whether it be a buyout with enstrom or even myers or a trade of a d man..

3rd line center over top 6 winger?  I doubt it 

Edited by Goalie

• 2 weeks later...

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

I wonder if Myers would qualify?

I suspect that exemption is to stop drafting players who will never play again like the trades some teams have been making to trade away LTIR contracts to teams with the cap space. 

However, if Myers doesn't come back this season and we get some insight on his injury, maybe the Jets expose Myers gambling on Vegas to not take a player with a questionable future. 

14 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I guess the important words are "career-ending injuries".

Maybe if the Jets can prove that it could be career ending, they get an exemption?

What I mean is, Vegas will have a tonne of open cap space, and I don't think the league wants them acquiring contracts like Arizona has when they traded for Datsyuk and Bolland, where the salary is being paid by insurance or retirement, and the trade was really for Arizona's cap space.  So they don't want a team saying pick this contract we don't want for cap relief and we will give you a draft pick / prospect on top of that for your troubles.

I suspect this isn't to help teams with injuries, but to close a loop hole in the expansion draft they want to close for good in the next CBA.  Which is why it says "deemed by the league"

Edit:  Also, are you saying you hope Myers injury is career ending so we don't have to protect him?  If we/the team don't want him that bad, why not just not protect him?

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

Interesting... it looks like Armia could play another 14 games before he's eligible for expansion draft.

If Dano's out for the season, he might not qualify either...

Which means we have to expose other players but that Vegas can still pick them.