Maximum Value for our 1st & 5th picks

BigBlue

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'd rather Gray and a receiver out of our first two picks.  Herdman really thinks he's gonna make the NFL.  We need players out of those picks, not guys to wait on.

Gray is an engineer too, so might not be into football for the long haul.

Do we?  If we're getting a great player I don't mind waiting for a year or two.  I don't really see the benefit of taking a lesser player who will come in and play special teams and maybe rotate in on offence/defence for a few snaps.  We already have plenty of guys like that.  I think the team is in a good enough position now that we can afford to wait on a star rather than intentionally taking a worse player just to have them in the lineup right away.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Do we?  If we're getting a great player I don't mind waiting for a year or two.  I don't really see the benefit of taking a lesser player who will come in and play special teams and maybe rotate in on offence/defence for a few snaps.  We already have plenty of guys like that.  I think the team is in a good enough position now that we can afford to wait on a star rather than intentionally taking a worse player just to have them in the lineup right away.

I'm not advocating that at all.  There's a handful of guys among a group of really good players who are really chasing the NFL or have legit NFL interest.  That has to factor into decision making when deciding who to pick.  As a for instance, based on what I've seen I wouldn't single Senior out of the top group of OL as being more dominant, but he has pedigree and a legit NFL shot.  In the CFL it's very likely Grey is a better player when all is said and done.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm not advocating that at all.  There's a handful of guys among a group of really good players who are really chasing the NFL or have legit NFL interest.  That has to factor into decision making when deciding who to pick.  As a for instance, based on what I've seen I wouldn't single Senior out of the top group of OL as being more dominant, but he has pedigree and a legit NFL shot.  In the CFL it's very likely Grey is a better player when all is said and done.

I see.  Certainly I wouldn't want to use a top pick on a guy who has been drafted or signed an FA deal.  But Grey will almost definitely get a mini-camp invite and we've seen that that can turn into an NFL deal (rarely, but possible).  I'd still use a top pick on him for sure.  I put Herdman in that same category.