Maximum Value for our 1st & 5th picks

BigBlue

I heard Walters say he would listen to offers for our two first round picks. Such offers might provide useful information for later, but all I would do is listen. The future of our ball club depends on picking wisely, not on gaining what another club might be willing to cast away.

I am not sure what this years top prospects are like  but I would spend first overall on the best player available ... and our fifth on another Canadian o-lineman .... the rest of our draft picks will depend on Walters contacts/network ... its not easy to find a Loffler every year

This Gray bloke could be the guy for us (if he doesn't end up down south, of course):

Canada’s west representative will be University of Manitoba offensive lineman Geoff Gray. The six-foot-six, 330-pound Winnipeg native was the Canada West Outstanding Down Lineman of the Year, making him a finalist for the J.P. Metras trophy for the 2016 USports football season. He was ranked No. 11 on the latest version of the CFL scouting bureau.

http://3downnation.com/2016/11/29/lavals-antony-auclair-manitobas-geoff-gray-invited-to-u-s-university-all-star-game/

Interesting that one scout suggested Auclair might actually be better in the NFL than CFL... it makes sense too, the way they deploy TEs in the passing game and use them in the run/blocking game... I wonder if Gray might be in consideration for the 6th pick (I still think it's bullshit that Edm picks before us, despite getting further in the playoffs)...

The problem with trading away draft picks is you rarely get the value back in return because the team trading for the draft pick (even if it's first overall) is trading on the basis of what the expected value of that pick is worth. There's no way to tell whether or not the pick will actually develop into something worthwhile. Teams often low-ball the team trying to trade away their pick because they don't want to get burnt trading away a proven player/asset for a draft prospect with lots of potential that never develops. Even if a drafted prospect ends up developing into a good player, they can end up getting picked up by the NFL, retiring, signing elsewhere (free agency), or just taking a better paying job and quitting football altogether. Just as an example, here's the first round picks from the 2013 draft and where they are now:

# Player name (Team that drafted them) - Where they are
1. Linden Gaydosh (HAM) - Now with Riders (via trade)
2. Andy Mulumba (WPG) - NFL (released by Chiefs) not currently playing
3. Mike Edem (MTL) - Now with B.C. (signed via free agency)
4. Corey Watman (SSK) - Now with Argos (signed via free agency)
5. Steven Lumbala (MTL) - Now works in oil and gas industry
6. Hunter Steward (BC) - Still with B.C.
7. Brander Craighead (CGY) - Retired/doesn't play
8. Matt Sewell (TOR) - Now with Riders (obtained from S. Lemon trade)
9. Nolan MacMillan (OTT) - Still with Redblacks

These results are just based of the 2013 CFL draft wikipedia page, so don't crucify me if they are off a little.

So, of the 9 players picked first overall:
- 3 don't play in the CFL anymore, of those, 2 have found non-football related work and will likely never play again.
- 2 players ended up playing, but signed elsewhere (through free agency) after their initial contract expired.
- 2 are still under contract with the team that drafted them (successful developments)
- 2 were traded elsewhere, Sewell never reported to the Riders.

So really, a draft pick is just a shot in the dark... and that's all that you end up getting in return, usually a "rental player" (e.g. Alex Hall) or a player that is considered somewhat of a cast-off/injury prone (e.g. Patrick Neufeld)

The draft has always been a crap-shoot in every sport and in the CFL, we have added complication of the NFL lurking to shower any promising player with money to migrate southward. Still, we desperately need a homebrew premier receiver more than we need another promising quarterback.

44 minutes ago, tracker said:

The draft has always been a crap-shoot in every sport and in the CFL, we have added complication of the NFL lurking to shower any promising player with money to migrate southward. Still, we desperately need a homebrew premier receiver more than we need another promising quarterback.

sure. but not since they got Trump down there. Not anymore.

US players will be flocking our way!

I hope Walter's realizes he needs to get Maximum value for his draft picks ;)

Long off season, got to say something to keep the forum going... going to be some silly stuff, I will do my part in that dpt.

Edited by Mark F

15 hours ago, tracker said:

While this is true... people seem to think we are the only team that is lacking a top-end Cdn receiver... when in reality, it's top-end Cdn receivers that are lacking... outside of Fantuz (now on the downside of his career) and Sinopoli, how many premier Cdn receivers are there in the CFL?...

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

While this is true... people seem to think we are the only team that is lacking a top-end Cdn receiver... when in reality, it's top-end Cdn receivers that are lacking... outside of Fantuz (now on the downside of his career) and Sinopoli, how many premier Cdn receivers are there in the CFL?...

Now that Dave "Sticky" Stala is gone I can't think of any.

You don't need an Andy Fantuz type who can be among the best in the league regardless of passport, but our canadian receivers were underwhelming this year, and I say that as a Kohlert fan, but we need someone who can do more than we got out of the position. A star would be great but how about an occasional playmaker?

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You don't need an Andy Fantuz type who can be among the best in the league regardless of passport, but our canadian receivers were underwhelming this year, and I say that as a Kohlert fan, but we need someone who can do more than we got out of the position. A star would be great but how about an occasional playmaker?

There are not too many Fantuzes out there, but I would settle for a Rick House type.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

I would think that Getzlaff and Bagg would be pretty close to being premier receivers, although Getzlaff is very near to the boneyard.

I'll give you Bagg. I think Getzlaf hit his best before date a few seasons ago. Sinopoli, Gore, Bagg, & Fantuz are the only Canadian receivers who are more than ratio fillers imo. 

Edited by sweep the leg

That's exactly the point... a lot of people are suggesting we need a top-end canadian receiver... and this connversation just proved that there are very few... there's reliable but declining guys like Bagg and Getzlaf... there's good, but not all-start type guys like Gore, Ianuzzi and Cooehorn.... I would be happy finding someone at the same quality of the 5 guys I just mentioned... but there are very few top-end Canadian receivers in the CFL...

5 hours ago, bearpants said:

That's exactly the point... a lot of people are suggesting we need a top-end canadian receiver... and this connversation just proved that there are very few... there's reliable but declining guys like Bagg and Getzlaf... there's good, but not all-start type guys like Gore, Ianuzzi and Cooehorn.... I would be happy finding someone at the same quality of the 5 guys I just mentioned... but there are very few top-end Canadian receivers in the CFL...

All the more reason to be careful where they are selected in the draft.  A high pick like Richards is proof enough that it doesn't always work out as planned.