Maximum Value for our 1st & 5th picks

BigBlue

If Senior is indeed ranked top 30 OT then he will not likely get drafted but will almost definitely get some NFL looks. Every team in the NFL will look at an OT every year...at LEAST one. Pretty sure that Senior...unless there is something about him they really don't like (size/behavior) will be brought into someone's camp.

"Laval’s Antony Auclair, who jumped eight spots from No. 10 on the list to second overall.The 6-foot-5, 254-pound tight end was a part of the Rouge et Or squad that won the Vanier Cup in Hamilton in late November over the Calgary Dinos. In the championship game, Auclair recorded six receptions, including a touchdown, and accumulated 70 yards."

TE Auclair might be more interesting to me than a lineman with our number one, that is if he is not NFL drafted. If he is then maybe using a 6th or 7th round pick might be more appropriate.

I see there is a receiver from Saskatchewan in the top 20: lets not draft him!

Curious there is only a half dozen ranked OL's in the top 20 ... I would like one of them .... Gray of course would make a nice local pick ... we don't have enough Bisons on our team

Edited by BigBlue

Senior is definitely in the range where he should either be a late round pick or gets scooped up as a free agent.  NFLdraftscout.com has him ranked 22nd (as a comparison to last year, Josiah St.John was ranked 48th in a smaller draft class for OT's).

Auclair will get some looks and we already know Simonise has NFL interest (whether he returns to Cincinnati or not) so that would only leave Ankou ahead of him in the current rankings & I'm not sure how much NFL interest there is in him.

54 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I don't know how many guys are on the NFL radar... I know Auclair has got a lot of attention and likely to get a shot... according to CBS football they are ranked Senior in the 27th ranked OT and Ankou the 56th ranked DT in the upcoming NFL draft... so while neither may get drafted let's just assume they get a shot at the NFL... suddenly that makes Gray the 2nd ranked player and top ranked O-lineman in the draft this year.... depending on how things play out it certainly wouldn't be a stretch to consider him at #1...

Gray is being worked out down south from what I heard....Could he be nfl bound???He sure would be a nice pick BUT if he decides to do the 'Bilukudi' circuit we might pass.

We finally get the official CFL draft order

Our picks are...

1st round...1 and 6

2nd round...6th

3rd round...5th

4th. and 5th. rounds...No Picks

6th. round 6th.

7th. round 6th.

8th. round 6th.

Edited by Stickem

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

"Laval’s Antony Auclair, who jumped eight spots from No. 10 on the list to second overall.The 6-foot-5, 254-pound tight end was a part of the Rouge et Or squad that won the Vanier Cup in Hamilton in late November over the Calgary Dinos. In the championship game, Auclair recorded six receptions, including a touchdown, and accumulated 70 yards."

TE Auclair might be more interesting to me than a lineman with our number one, that is if he is not NFL drafted. If he is then maybe using a 6th or 7th round pick might be more appropriate.

I see there is a receiver from Saskatchewan in the top 20: lets not draft him!

Curious there is only a half dozen ranked OL's in the top 20 ... I would like one of them .... Gray of course would make a nice local pick ... we don't have enough Bisons on our team

If he has reasonable speed or quicks to get a little bit of separation out of cuts he could be a good fit in the cfl. 

In the last couple of years weve seen a lot more packages with bigger wrs pinching the end out of the slot/te spot and out of trips formations. I think a good NI TE could be a great multi threat weapon if used correctly. 

Plus we see big backs like normand and lochard who are kind of stuck between positions. Those guys who play a lot of teams could certainly be rounded into a guy to help block and end/blitz/stunt.

Geoff gray would be awesome if we could get him with our 2nd first rounder. Though with heavy NFL interest for other players in this draft and a really strong combine maybe he becomes a safe first over all pick.

Rashaun simonise would be my dream pick in this draft. (I think senior is beyond a pipe dream) Huge talent and up side, and fits a need. Could start next year and could quickly become the best NI wr weve had in a good while. 

That's the ting about the CFL draft... there's so much speculation about player rankings... but we don't know the true rankings until after the NFL draft and UDFA signings...

A couple years ago Christian Covington was still the top ranked player heading into the CFL draft... but basically every CFL team knew he would never play a down in the CFL...

54 minutes ago, bearpants said:

That's the ting about the CFL draft... there's so much speculation about player rankings... but we don't know the true rankings until after the NFL draft and UDFA signings...

A couple years ago Christian Covington was still the top ranked player heading into the CFL draft... but basically every CFL team knew he would never play a down in the CFL...

No doubt it has a massive impact. BPA is still Best player, but may not be available. Mean while senior could test poor down south and get passed over. Or the bungals could be serious about simonise and hes allready as good as gone. 

20 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Again, I believe it is possible to sign our number one overall  pick before actually drafting him ... is this not correct? ....  might not that save some ST JOHN anxiety....

I don't even have anxiety about signing draft picks because the Bombers GM isn't a **** trying to prove to everyone that he's the smartest man alive. He doesn't engage in **** waving contests with players or agents just to prove a point. He just works to get a deal done. 

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't even have anxiety about signing draft picks because the Bombers GM isn't a **** trying to prove to everyone that he's the smartest man alive. He doesn't engage in **** waving contests with players or agents just to prove a point. He just works to get a deal done. 

all though we have made some funny decisions on who the BPA was.

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

For example??? 

goosen, richards, passing on lemar durant in the 2nd round twice. reaching for briggs.  he was assistant GM and head of canadian scouting in 2013 which was an ugly draft too.  

The decision with garret waggoner has also been a hot topic, though I did and do like him as a player. 

Edited by wbbfan

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

goosen, richards, passing on lemar durant in the 2nd round twice. reaching for briggs.  he was assistant GM and head of canadian scouting in 2013 which was an ugly draft too.  

The decision with garret waggoner has also been a hot topic, though I did and do like him as a player. 

What's wrong with the Goossen pick? Or even Briggs?

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

What's wrong with the Goossen pick? Or even Briggs?

Well the discussion was about reaches vs taking the BPA. Both, were reaches. Goosen was ranked 9th in the final rankings and 15th in sept. Picked 2nd.  Briggs was an even bigger reach. 

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Well the discussion was about reaches vs taking the BPA. Both, were reaches. Goosen was ranked 9th in the final rankings and 15th in sept. Picked 2nd.  Briggs was an even bigger reach. 

It seems to me the Bombers were set on going OL not picking BPA.  The rankings for OL were Duvernay-Tardiff, Foucault, Lavertu, Goosen.  The top 2 are NFL players who have never played a single down in the CFL and the 3rd guy went 1st overall - leaving Goosen as the highest ranked OL available.  Not quite the reach when you look at it from a team need standpoint.

If you're going to mention that he was ranked 9th & 15th, then you should also mention that he was ranked 5th overall in the January rankings.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I agree that right now, Richards over Durant looks like a bad decision... but I have no problem with Goossen, Briggs, and Waggoner...

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Walters has said plenty of times that he believes in taking OL early in the draft so it's not like he totally subscribes to the BPA philosophy. 

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

I agree that right now, Richards over Durant looks like a bad decision... but I have no problem with Goossen, Briggs, and Waggoner...

Richards and Waggoner were both brutal picks without the benefit of hindsight.

Richards doesn't even belong in the CFL; Jade Etienne was a better pick than him.

Edited by Blueandgold

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Richards and Waggoner were both brutal picks without the benefit of hindsight.

Richards doesn't even belong in the CFL; Jade Etienne was a better pick than him.

I am not convinced that Richards is a legit CFLer, but to be fair, he was injured for almost all of the past two seasons and got darned few reps or game action. I hope that he will survive next training camp intact and then succeed or fail on his own merits.

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

I am not convinced that Richards is a legit CFLer, but to be fair, he was injured for almost all of the past two seasons and got darned few reps or game action. I hope that he will survive next training camp intact and then succeed or fail on his own merits.

Sure. But really what the heck do you know? Not as much as you like to think I'd imagine 

Complaining about picking a guy who is our starting centre for the foreseeable future... hmm.

Walters jumped the gun on Waggoner... should have offered a 2nd rounder and if he doesn't get him, you still have your first

Richards sounds like he was picked with advice from Bellefuile - nuff said.