Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

I never saw the need for cutting Denmark before camp, unless a large bonus was due that you absolutely couldn't afford. At the very least, let the man come in and compete for a job. He's earned as much. I remember hearing last year, from another WBB player, that "Nobody in the league runs that corner route to the back corner of the endzone" like Denmark...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-making-reckless-bet-on-upcoming-season-413449603.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+winnipegfreepress%2FfCqO+(Winnipeg+Free+Press+A)

Not sure anyone wants to spend the $0.27, but Wiecek has written an incredibly arrogant piece claiming he knows more than the Bombers current brain trust. Says the Bombers taking a monumental "reckless" risk by having Dom Davis be the #2 this year. No word on who, exactly, they were supposed to bring in as a "veteran" presence......

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-making-reckless-bet-on-upcoming-season-413449603.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+winnipegfreepress%2FfCqO+(Winnipeg+Free+Press+A)

Not sure anyone wants to spend the $0.27, but Wiecek has written an incredibly arrogant piece claiming he knows more than the Bombers current brain trust. Says the Bombers taking a monumental "reckless" risk by having Dom Davis be the #2 this year. No word on who, exactly, they were supposed to bring in as a "veteran" presence......

It's a simple concept - anyone and everyone is better than what the Bombers have.

I wish he didn't have to resort to clickbait journalism but I guess being a tool and not knowing too much about football will do that.

Also the fact that Kevin Glenn asked to be released (I guess he saw an opportunity in Sask), and giving Nichols more money meant something had to give somewhere.

I think we are in a lot stronger position as a team for a back up (touch wood) to succeed here. We have a great kicking game, our offensive line is the strongest its been in years, and we have some good Canadian depth. If Dominique Davis needed to start he might not need to be The Star player, he might just need to manage a game.

I just look at the Calgary Stampeders, and sure they have Tate now, but at one point, BLM was the back-up there, and stepped up. Now, I'm not saying Davis is BLM, and I'm not saying every back up is going to be a superstar, but I think at some point you have to take that chance. Let the guy sink or swim on his own merits...

The Bombers are comfortable going forward with Davis as their number 2; that doesn't mean he won't have to compete for the job.  He has been on the roster for two seasons and has taken thousands of snaps in practise that can be used for evaluation, as well as some pre-season and one regular season game.

Every time a player is given increased responsibility there is an element of risk.  Was it reckless and irresponsible for the Bombers to make Goossen the starting center last year?  Most of his limited playing experience had been at guard.  Was it reckless and irresponsible for the Bombers to make Loffler their starting safety after Harris got injured?  After all, he had no pro experience and was a Canadian rookie.  Third rounder no less.  We all know anything after the first round are garbage rounds.

I wonder how long Bo Levi would have to be the third string before moving him up to second string would not be considered a reckless and irresponsible move by the Stamps?

In summary, one Paul Friesen was enough for Winnipeg.  Time to see if we can trade Weicek to Hamilton straight-up for Drew Edwards.

2 minutes ago, mbrg said:

The Bombers are comfortable going forward with Davis as their number 2; that doesn't mean he won't have to compete for the job.  He has been on the roster for two seasons and has taken thousands of snaps in practise that can be used for evaluation, as well as some pre-season and one regular season game.

Every time a player is given increased responsibility there is an element of risk.  Was it reckless and irresponsible for the Bombers to make Goossen the starting center last year?  Most of his limited playing experience had been at guard.  Was it reckless and irresponsible for the Bombers to make Loffler their starting safety after Harris got injured?  After all, he had no pro experience and was a Canadian rookie.  Third rounder no less.  We all know anything after the first round are garbage rounds.

I wonder how long Bo Levi would have to be the third string before moving him up to second string would not be considered a reckless and irresponsible move by the Stamps?

In summary, one Paul Friesen was enough for Winnipeg.  Time to see if we can trade Weicek to Hamilton straight-up for Drew Edwards.

How can i triple like this? 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

havent read the piece, its a sub optimal situation, but FA hasnt even begun yet he needs to calm his ****. If we dont have the money, we just dont have the money. I wouldnt pay any of the vet back ups available no1 money and it sounds like thats what they want. That could very well change if a few of these guys dont have deals when camp begins or gets close. Right now we only have 2 qbs under contract and walters comment about MBT coming back. More is still to come at qb. 

The real thing you gotta thing about is if davis is no2, whose pushing him for that role? Mbt with the least possible experience for a pro qb? We need competition at back up qb (and all positions in general) if the 2s price them self out of that role for us we do need to fill that hole some how. imop 4 qbs are ideal for mini camp / camp. Takes a big load off the 1/2 and doesnt default any qb spot.

Yes any team down to a 3rd string qb starting is pretty borked. There is a difference between a qb with limited league experience and limited football experience since HS but both are scary.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Either we pickup a NAT OL or NAT DL and go 5 INTL receivers or DI Denny, which means Fogg will likely be the KR/PR.

Still a long ways to go.

And sit who bond? bryant? hardrick? the problem with going 5 imp wrs is rotation. It would be great to pull off but it would hamstring the use of the DI and put us in a tough spot if some one got hurt. We need to find a good ni wr. 

Edited by wbbfan

11 hours ago, fosey58 said:

Dumb question. Who is MBT?

what noeller said. He hardly played college, went from big program to tiny then pro and bounced around basically every nfl TC and PR for years and years. Exceptional skill set with about as few passes thrown as is humanly possible. 

10 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with having Paul Wiecek as our number 2 CFL reporter in Winnipeg.  We need a veteran.  

Scott Taylor, you're up.

Thatd be great.