Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

11 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

If NFL interest doesn't materialize I'd like the Bombers to draft Geoff Gray.  Could be a starting National at one of the OT spots down the road.

I'd like Gray to join the team if nothing more then he played for the Greendale Falcons (my son's current team). he's recently growing a love for basketball so it'd be nice to have a poster boy for him to idolize in Gray to keep the football interest alive

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Jeffcoat has my vote for potential DI in the role of Shayon Green last year. He's a guy that I think is going to benefit strongly from the Canadian rules.

Very surprised (pleasantly) to see this level of recruit at the DE spot from Walters.

Jeffcoat will be interesting, they tried to make him an OLB in a 34 in the NFL. I have seen his weight listed between 235 - 253 so this guy could end up being anywhere depending on what he actually comes to camp at.

21 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Jeffcoat will be interesting, they tried to make him an OLB in a 34 in the NFL. I have seen his weight listed between 235 - 253 so this guy could end up being anywhere depending on what he actually comes to camp at.

he's currently listed at 253lbs,  but I wonder if he trims 10-15 or so pounds if he could get a peek at MLB

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

41 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

he's currently listed at 253lbs,  but I wonder if he trims 10-15 or so pounds if he could get a peek at MLB

with his athletic ability i was thinking he could make it even at 253. What his optimal weight would be for mlb we obviously cant know but if he can move well enough to play de at that range and mlb he would be super versatile and allow us to rotate ends, use the hurl package for another imp db etc. 

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'd like Gray to join the team if nothing more then he played for the Greendale Falcons (my son's current team). he's recently growing a love for basketball so it'd be nice to have a poster boy for him to idolize in Gray to keep the football interest alive

You mean the Greendell Falcons, right?  Never heard of a Greendale in Wpg.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Now, I've never played any kind of organized football, but it seems to me that good technique can overcome measurables...

No kidding.  Skill is what matters.  If the guy is good at pass rushing let's ask him to lose 15 pounds and play MLB.  That logic makes a ton of sense.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

People get so weird with the height and weight stuff.  Good lord.

I don't think anyones getting "weird" about it, but 250 is a little heavier then most if not all MLBs across the league;  now granted, Jeffcoat is 3" taller then Mumaba and woods (both 6'0) but he's 20lbs heavier then muamba but only 5 lbs heavier then woods according to CFL.ca

As i mentioned with the vid though he looks like a good tackler with speed,  might be perfect for MLB

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

Sorry for that. But Im done seeing our MLBs being bulldozed by Messam.

That wasn't even a problem last year.  Anyone that ran did so at will on that crew.  Whether they were 160 lb backs or 260 lb backs.  They need to tackle everyone better.  They need to complete their assignments and cancel gaps.  Putting a heavy guy at MLB who has no skills tackling in space with the ball carrier coming downhill or no knowledge of playing gap control from that spot won't make a lick of difference.

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I don't think anyones getting "weird" about it, but 250 is a little heavier then most if not all MLBs across the league;  now granted, Jeffcoat is 3" taller then Mumaba and woods (both 6'0) but he's 20lbs heavier then muamba but only 5 lbs heavier then woods according to CFL.ca

As i mentioned with the vid though he looks like a good tackler with speed,  might be perfect for MLB

You just got weird in your first paragraph.  All of that is basically irrelevant to football skills.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That wasn't even a problem last year.  Anyone that ran did so at will on that crew.  Whether they were 160 lb backs or 260 lb backs.  They need to tackle everyone better.  They need to complete their assignments and cancel gaps.  Putting a heavy guy at MLB who has no skills tackling in space with the ball carrier coming downhill or no knowledge of playing gap control from that spot won't make a lick of difference.

I really agree good tackling is most important tgan measurables but a 220ish LB will lose steam by the start of the 4th being pounded by 246 RB all gane long, imo.

13 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I really agree good tackling is most important tgan measurables but a 220ish LB will lose steam by the start of the 4th being pounded by 246 RB all gane long, imo.

the 26 pounds or less isnt what will make the difference. Look at how much linemen mash and play 4 quarters. especially ends vs tackles 50+ pounds heavier.

KD williams was 250, tuipala etc guys like barrin simpson and ryland wickman were short 240 ish and less mobile. Jabar westerman has played end at 280 pounds, etc. The tweener position down south is one of the biggest spots for athletic freaks. Guys who run like wrs/dbs, are strong like line men, and crazy levels of quickness. In great frames no less. The amount of mobility required to play the end in the canadian game is crazy. The ability to switch to mlb would largely depend on willingness to learn, natural ability to scrape the ball, and ability to read pre snap and adjust post snap. Playing as a 3-4 hybrid pass rusher down south is very, very similar to what khalil bass struggled to do here last year. If our vet ends bring it in camp, and especially with corney to rotate its gonna be hard to make the roster as a 4th de and an imp. So if hes a great talent a position change could be very well suited to keeping him around.