Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Fair enough. I was just wondering why.

No worries, unless you saw the tweet (or were in the Esks locker room), there's no way to know. I just can't imbed tweets currently.

To quote Nichols, after Miller thanked the City of Edmonton:

One of the best teammates. Taught me Canadian culture. Started our careers with 5 yrs together in Edm. Come to Winnipeg?

(There's some emojis in there too)

1 hour ago, JCon said:

They played together and are friends. When Miller was released, Nichols tweeted at him hoping that he would come to Winnipeg. I'll pull up the tweet later, when I can.

Nichols commented how much he learned from Miller.

Hey thnks for that insider info ...nice to see Nichols reach out to a former teammate and help the Blue as well?

54 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

So..... when and if Loffler goes down, what's da shuffle?

Mo could go back to S, we could go with an extra ni lber/dl then slide a db back and bring a di (fogg?) db into a starting spot, waggoneer/jones/morgan  going in at S would probably be the move though.

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

interesting note:

@EdTaitWFC

Walters said Normand is their in-game reserve RB if Andrew Harris was inj; Miller adds depth at FB. #Bombers

Looked good in very limited touches and had a solid pedigree running at laval. Really has to work on his hands out of the back field though if he is gonna be the primary back up. He incompleterson'd a few easy passed last year. 

Big fan of picking up miller for teams and depth too. 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Mo could go back to S, we could go with an extra ni lber/dl then slide a db back and bring a di (fogg?) db into a starting spot, waggoneer/jones/morgan  going in at S would probably be the move though.

If Loffler is out for multiple games I can see Leggett going back to S and discovering who can cover at NB, maybe Waggoner, Fogg or Frederick.  Julian Posey played there a bit last season but he seems to have vanished.   I think it comes down to finding out where Waggoner fits in and which position he can cover best.  Morgan may be an option at S but I think Jones is limited to wide-side corner.

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Loffler is out for multiple games I can see Leggett going back to S and discovering who can cover at NB, maybe Waggoner, Fogg or Frederick.  Julian Posey played there a bit last season but he seems to have vanished.   I think it comes down to finding out where Waggoner fits in and which position he can cover best.  Morgan may be an option at S but I think Jones is limited to wide-side corner.

Pretty much. All in all its a good position to be in. All those good options in case a starting NI goes down. My personal top pick would be mo if its an extended injury, waggoner other wise, or pushing a DB back and moving the back ups up. Or a rotation of the last two. That all will really depend on how far a long waggoner is at the end of camp, and how the db battle breaks down. Fogg is a play maker and i could see him making a ton of plays at S, but also giving up a ton of big plays as well. A guy like frederick could be a great fit back there. he was soo sound in coverage last year. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Pretty much. All in all its a good position to be in. All those good options in case a starting NI goes down. My personal top pick would be mo if its an extended injury, waggoner other wise, or pushing a DB back and moving the back ups up. Or a rotation of the last two. That all will really depend on how far a long waggoner is at the end of camp, and how the db battle breaks down. Fogg is a play maker and i could see him making a ton of plays at S, but also giving up a ton of big plays as well. A guy like frederick could be a great fit back there. he was soo sound in coverage last year. 

It takes a smart football player to play S or NB well, and some players just lack that particular facility.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It takes a smart football player to play S or NB well, and some players just lack that particular facility.

not a lot of dim dbs last very long. Not since dave donaldson any way. It takes a lot to play S very well. But to play it at say a terry ray/hebert level not soo much. You can scheme and cover up for that for a brief while. 

18 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Miller is a great add for ST. I mean we landed the guy who lead the league in ST tackles last year. Who gives a **** if he doesn't play offense or defense?

I find statistics like this (especially for special teams) can be misleading sometimes... is Miller actually that good of a player, or did Edmonton just punt/kickoff a lot in 2016 (thus giving him more opportunities to make tackles)?

A good example where special teams statistics can be misleading was in 1998 when Eric Blount set the CFL record (at the time) for most kickoff return yards in a single season. The Bombers went 3-15 that year, the only reason Blount even set the record was because he had so many attempts at kickoff returns since the Bombers surrendered so many touchdowns to opponents.

So, just for fun, I summarized the punting attempts, per team, for the 2016 regular season from CFL's website. I wanted to add in kickoff attempts, but couldn't find the #s anywhere (I also didn't look particularly hard either). Anyways, here's the results:

Team - # of punting attempts
SSK (Way to go, idiots) - 134
TOR - 113
MTL - 113
WPG - 112
OTT - 110
EDM - 103
CGY - 100
HAM - 99
BC - 97
Looks like Edmonton didn't punt an excessive amount in 2016 - looks like Miller is just a tough, run-through-walls type player that will be a good addition to the team. Also, he's Canadian.

21 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Mike Miller is a quality depth add. The irony is in his draft year Joe Mack, in his wisdom wouldn't even add his name to the draft list. Miller has since proven his value as a ST contributor.

Typical half truth in your agenda against Mack. Please tell me who had him on their draft list since he went undrained. 

22 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Any hope the other Kelowna lad on our roster, Jesse Briggs, gets a look this year at LB on any plays?  I know his old coach here in Kelowna and he says Briggs is really under-rated.

25 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Any hope the other Kelowna lad on our roster, Jesse Briggs, gets a look this year at LB on any plays?  I know his old coach here in Kelowna and he says Briggs is really under-rated.

I feel like he saw a couple of snaps last year.  I'd say every defensive player on the roster got some reps on defence at one point or another.

But he was largely depth and special teams last year, and could be bumped up to one of the guys featured regularly in the NI rotation this year.

Edited by mbrg