Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

58 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'd take Derek Jones over either of those guys at S

But what is Jones' history at safety?... I suggested Waggoner b/c he played safety in college and has the similar size and physical edge to Loffler... and Morgan b/c the reason we drafted him was due to his versatility, including ability to play safety...

I agree that Derek Jones has contributed more on defense and brings more experience... but if I recall correctly, his experience is mostly, if not exclusively, at field corner...

38 minutes ago, bearpants said:

But what is Jones' history at safety?... I suggested Waggoner b/c he played safety in college and has the similar size and physical edge to Loffler... and Morgan b/c the reason we drafted him was due to his versatility, including ability to play safety...

I agree that Derek Jones has contributed more on defense and brings more experience... but if I recall correctly, his experience is mostly, if not exclusively, at field corner...

If IIRC, Derek Jones also played SAM before

Master Grades for the upcoming draft

4.9-5: FIRST-ROUND TALENT, POTENTIAL FIRST-YEAR STARTER

4.7-4.8: FIRST OR SECOND-ROUND TALENT WHO IS GOING TO MAKE TEAM

4.4-4.6: THIRD OR FOURTH-ROUND TALENT – STRONG POSSIBILITY TO MAKE TEAM

4.0-4.3: FIFTH ROUND OR LOWER – OUTSIDE SHOT TO MAKE TEAM, POTENTIALLY BACK TO SCHOOL

BELOW 4: NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE TEAM

?‍?^^^This is the grading system our staff uses when they assess the draft. Ed Tait knocks it out of the park with his explanation of how Kyle Walters, Mike O'Shea, Ted Glovia, and Craig Smith approach the draft. 

?‍?Preparation - Finalizing the top 23 players in the upcoming draft is not an easy task...

Our No. 1 priority right now is to find our Top 23 and be real sure we’ve got 1-through-23 ranked the way we’ll draft them,” said Walters.
It’s going to be great,” began Walters in a conversation with bluebombers.com. “Both (National Scout) Craig (Smith) and (Assistant GM/Director of Player Personnel) Ted (Goveia) are flying in and then on Tuesday those two plus Mike (O’Shea) and I will close the door and start going through all the draft prospects. Then we’ll be on the road at the different combines.

He and O’Shea, Goveia and Smith will have watched at least four games of all those prospects and pieced together a collection of 15-20 plays that represent their skillset. Each evaluator will have also graded each prospect.
This week’s get together is all about review, hashing out their differences in those grades, and then assigning a master grade before they head out to the regional combines.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/05/05/188500/

from the linked article...

After watching at least three games of each prospect live or on film, Walters then puts together a 25-play video clip of all 300 players on their list

Each of the 300 players on that list gets a 25-play highlight reel?  Am I reading that right? 

My god, that's a huge huge huge amount of film for not a lot of staff to assemble and evaluate.  It's unbelievable the amount of work they do to add 6-7 guys to the team.

I guess if their CFL gigs don't pan out, everyone in the Bomber football operations org will have a fallback career in video production...

Edited by johnzo

My god, that's a huge huge huge amount of film for not a lot of staff to assemble and view.  It's unbelievable the amount of work they do to add 6-7 guys to the team.

Absolutely! 

Gone are the days when you rely solely on a few games watched, word of mouth, combines alone, and 'gut feelings'. When they make a selection nowadays, it's based on research and interactive discussion. I think that's about all they can do to make an informed decision. 

Nothing is guaranteed, but, at least this way, fans (all but a couple) can feel they didn't miss because of too brief a look...

24 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Each of the 300 players on that list gets a 25-play highlight reel?  Am I reading that right? 

My god, that's a huge huge huge amount of film for not a lot of staff to assemble and evaluate.  It's unbelievable the amount of work they do to add 6-7 guys to the team.

I guess if their CFL gigs don't pan out, everyone in the Bomber football operations org will have a fallback career in video production...

Thats scouting life. Not even as bad as regional scouts who watch every game on video go to as many as humanly possible then rewatch video to send those names up. Football and football ops are not family friendly. A few years back read about the scouting regiment of nfl teams from 09-12 where qbs went top, and some teams went back and watch every snap of football those qbs took from before HS up to their final college game multiple times. Teams with picks a few under no1 just in case the qbs fell and they had to make a decision on them to pick or trade. 

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

I've said this about Kyle Walters since day one... he might not always make all the right moves... but he sure as hell won't fail due to lack of effort... 

It always makes me nervous when we sign a guy that played on the Riders defense in the last 2 years... that defense was absolutely putrid and then we're signing guys they determined were no worth bringing back..... anyone know anything about this guy other than what the stats say??

On RF, they were kind split on him... some liked him and hoped he'd be brought back (at the right price) and others were kind of meh.  The general opinion was he did ok, even though he was playing out of position a lot due to their lack of depth.  No all-star, but serviceable and they would have liked to have seen how he did with some actual talent beside him.

44 minutes ago, bearpants said:

It always makes me nervous when we sign a guy that played on the Riders defense in the last 2 years... that defense was absolutely putrid and then we're signing guys they determined were no worth bringing back..... anyone know anything about this guy other than what the stats say??

I'm not a big Corvey Irvin guy and I don't expect him to make the team, but one thing I figured is worth mentioning - just because a player doesn't get resigned by his previous team doesn't always mean that team didn't want him. Would your opinion of this signing change if you found out that (as an example) Irvin told Saskatchewan he had no interest in coming back to play for them?

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

On RF, they were kind split on him... some liked him and hoped he'd be brought back (at the right price) and others were kind of meh.  The general opinion was he did ok, even though he was playing out of position a lot due to their lack of depth.  No all-star, but serviceable and they would have liked to have seen how he did with some actual talent beside him.

An ex-Rider getting even a modicum of respect after he leaves to a divisional rival means he must have played all right.

52 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm not a big Corvey Irvin guy and I don't expect him to make the team, but one thing I figured is worth mentioning - just because a player doesn't get resigned by his previous team doesn't always mean that team didn't want him. Would your opinion of this signing change if you found out that (as an example) Irvin told Saskatchewan he had no interest in coming back to play for them?

This feels like a bit of a straw dog...  

Irvin is a 31 year old DT who was cut right after they signed a younger Cdn who the bombers were also trying for.  Age and roster space is the issue imo.

As a depth signing, I'd much rather see a new prospect than a journeyman like this in camp.

What's happening with Laing?  Is he out of the league until August trying NFL or what's going on....