Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

Just now, JCon said:

Harris

Non-import back-up for Harris?

Flanders

Roberson - returning punts/kickoffs?

If Roberson is on the roster, he'd take Flanders spot.

The way I see it right now, we have three designated import spots after Medlock to use up. One of them is likely to come on the defensive line, whether it be Jeffcoat, Irvin or maybe even Shayon Green or a different new prospect. You would expect that with the amount of prospects we have in the secondary (Loffler, Jones, Morgan) and linebacking core (Miles, Briggs, Waggoner) that we can get away with one teams-ace Tony Burnett kind of designated import between those two position groups.

You're left with one - it's going to go to the kick returner, with their preference likely leaning towards a guy like Kieran Duncan over a guy like Kendall Roberson, since Duncan provides backup at a spot where we're likely thinner with Canadians (receiver vs. running back)

1 minute ago, JCon said:

That's why I'm wondering how Roberson fits on the gameday roster to return punts and/or kicks?

he would be taking flanders job if he made the team. When we had flanders and harris on the roster the DI spot was just wasted. We COULD make use of 2 backs but I dont think we will under plop. Thats why I was saying hes likely to be PR if he works out if harris is healthy. If one of harris or normand got hurt he / flanders would be the DI back up rb or starter. 

You never stop bringing in talent though. especially if they have a chance to be high level. When we brought in blink he had to fight his way on the roster and steal carries from troy mills, eric blount, and iirc corey philpot was on the roster in TC. Lots of high level competition at a position is how you maintain greatness and improve.  

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can't see us adding a guy in the draft, to be honest. We didn't want to invest in that spot with Lochard. Not sure what would change now, unless there is just some undeniable great value in the middle/late rounds.

Basically, we're Harris or bust at starting a non-import RB/FB.

If Augustine were available at 15, would you take him? I guess that depends who else is available.

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Basically, we're Harris or bust at starting a non-import RB/FB.

If Augustine were available at 15, would you take him? I guess that depends who else is available.

If Harris gets hurt, you just adjust elsewhere in your lineup. In my opinion, it's not as big of an issue as some folks have made it.

We're going to start 1 RB, 1 WR, 2 OL, 2 DL and 1 DB - for the most part, I'd say between 50% - 66% of the defensive snaps have another Canadian in the mix as well anyways, so we'd really just have to push that number up to 100% and basically rotate Corney, Miles, Waggoner and Jones (plus we're likely going to add another body that can take reps in the draft) through depending on the situation.

No, I would not take Augustine at 15.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

If Harris gets hurt, you just adjust elsewhere in your lineup. In my opinion, it's not as big of an issue as some folks have made it.

I agree. Harris is special, as is any non-import RB (or any ratio breaker).

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can't see us adding a guy in the draft, to be honest. We didn't want to invest in that spot with Lochard. Not sure what would change now, unless there is just some undeniable great value in the middle/late rounds.

I think that would be the scenario, this draft has a glut of mid to late first round type talent and i could see a back like augustine, or especially ante litre falling. Either would be well worth mid to late pick for teams and depth.  We dont have a lot of pics after our high 3 but a pick swap for next year to grab one of those guys in the 4th and on would be great.

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

We're going to start 1 RB, 1 WR, 2 OL, 2 DL and 1 DB - for the most part, I'd say between 50% - 66% of the defensive snaps have another Canadian in the mix as well anyways, so we'd really just have to push that number up to 100% and basically rotate Corney, Miles, Waggoner and Jones (plus we're likely going to add another body that can take reps in the draft) through depending on the situation.

No, I would not take Augustine at 15.

I think normand might get a chance to play a bit if harris got hurt. If say harris went down mid game normand would step in. If he ran with it I could see him being the starter while we carry one of the other imp rbs as a DI. 

Color me underwhelmed on these two guys. A running back who couldn't crack an awful backfield a year ago and a guy who was last relevant in pro football in 2014 with a pit stop in Tampa Bay.

Disclaimer: I've liked pretty much every signing so far this offseason so don't get at me about being negative. ;)

46 minutes ago, Mike said:

Color me underwhelmed on these two guys. A running back who couldn't crack an awful backfield a year ago and a guy who was last relevant in pro football in 2014 with a pit stop in Tampa Bay.

Disclaimer: I've liked pretty much every signing so far this offseason so don't get at me about being negative. ;)

bad teams tend to cut good players. and even good teams have guys fall between the cracks. 

104 tackles 9.5 tfl and 4 sacks as a junior after bouncing between starter and bench  previously is pretty impressive.  Some times a year off can be good if a guy gets hurt too. no idea if thats his case.

At worst these guys are TCF, and young tcf. Id rather have young hungry tcf then old long in the tooth types weve seen previously. No macho harris kuale etc type in sight. And like you said its been a real good off season. Id suspect they see some thing in these two rather then filling out the TC roster with tcf. 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Hey, lay off Macho, he's been nothing but a class act and a solid contributor his entire time here. He's not anywhere near the same category as Kuale.

youre right, comparing him to kuale isnt fair. my bad. Its also not his fault he got over played at a position he should have backed up. 

52 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

ceasar a a legit high end prospect. im surprised hes shaken loose into the cfl allready. 

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/4/26/11506444/rashon-ceasar-ulm-warhawks-wr-2016-nfl-draft-profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/rashon-ceaser?id=2556238

He doesnt have the crazy size the nfl looks for, though he has nice size for the cfl. Hes more quick then fast. More of a possession to catch and run type of guy. Play style some where between arland bruce and robert gordon. He also fits very well with the "smith" package plop likes to run / try to run. Hes a guy I like, and im excited to see him here. 

Edited by wbbfan

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

ceasar a a legit high end prospect. im surprised hes shaken loose into the cfl allready. 

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/4/26/11506444/rashon-ceasar-ulm-warhawks-wr-2016-nfl-draft-profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/rashon-ceaser?id=2556238

He doesnt have the crazy size the nfl looks for, though he has nice size for the cfl. Hes more quick then fast. More of a possession to catch and run type of guy. Play style some where between arland bruce and robert gordon. He also fits very well with the "smith" package plop likes to run / try to run. Hes a guy I like, and im excited to see him here. 

Totally agree.  He will be a great fit for the role they tried to make Ryan Smith fill early last season..... short catches behind the LOS attempting to get yards after the catch.  Let's be honest, that type of play is going to be a staple while Lapo is here so we might as well find the best guy to run it.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Totally agree.  He will be a great fit for the role they tried to make Ryan Smith fill early last season..... short catches behind the LOS attempting to get yards after the catch.  Let's be honest, that type of play is going to be a staple while Lapo is here so we might as well find the best guy to run it.

Pretty much. And i do like well executed screens. Maybe we never saw the development of those plays due to the lack of success we had running them. Dare to dream any way.