Walter's Priorities Part 2

BigBlue

Now that Nichols is signed, we can all relax some .... at the same time Walters is going to have to decide where to put the free cash he has left

Personally I would like to see it go for a veteran QB ... its a rarity for any QB to play all 18 games plus extras ... next he can spend on DLine and MLB ... if anything is still in the bank then a little on WR would be ok by me

25 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Now that Nichols is signed, we can all relax some .... at the same time Walters is going to have to decide where to put the free cash he has left

Personally I would like to see it go for a veteran QB ... its a rarity for any QB to play all 18 games plus extras ... next he can spend on DLine and MLB ... if anything is still in the bank then a little on WR would be ok by me

this is a done deal now?!

In pro football especially in the front office, you dont get relax time. Certainly not in the off season. If nichols is signed then he still needs to get a vet that can start in as back up. Be that glenn or some one else. If we go into next year with nichols and the usual suspects backing him up thats a bad situation. When thats done we are in a great spot. 

Tons of scouting down south and the draft to be done, cfl fa etc. 

Assuming nichols is signed i think priorities looks some thing like

#1 back up qb

#2 draft scouting / pick trade talks

#3 Scouting/signing down south for guys this year and beyond

#4 Re signing our guys.  

#5 cfl fa (dont see us having a lot of money to make much of a splash)

I think a big thing is taking a long hard look at guys like ryan smith, keeping, and neufeld. A lot of money tied up in guys with little on the field production. Smith is probably our 4/5th best imp wr if we bring back gurley and denmark. If every one in the wr core plays their best i still dont think hes better then no. 3-4. Keeping and neufeld would have to be considered long shots to come out of camp next year with a big role. And one kinda pushes out the other. internal moves like that are probably the hardest but most important. 

Funny how Smith's game suddenly caught fire as soon as they stopped throwing him dumb little 5 yard curls and ins and started sending him vertical...

I suspect Denmark won't be here next year. Could see him getting some heavy FA love from out east, they're all depleted at receiver, esp. Toronto and Ottawa, and Montreal won't have SJG before labour day.

Or maybe we trade Smith out east and resign Denny?  That'd be the fan-pleasing move.

47 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Funny how Smith's game suddenly caught fire as soon as they stopped throwing him dumb little 5 yard curls and ins and started sending him vertical...

I suspect Denmark won't be here next year. Could see him getting some heavy FA love from out east, they're all depleted at receiver, esp. Toronto and Ottawa, and Montreal won't have SJG before labour day.

Or maybe we trade Smith out east and resign Denny?  That'd be the fan-pleasing move.

Or double-down and trade Denmark back to the Riders for Demski hah.

10 hours ago, johnzo said:

Thats true and doesnt ott have a bunch of FA wrs? It is a deep wr fa group though. He could be a knee jerk day, we didnt get any one and we gotta fill this spot signing. For some one like montreal. 

I dont think any one would give us more then a very low pick / neg lister for smith. 

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thats true and doesnt ott have a bunch of FA wrs? It is a deep wr fa group though. He could be a knee jerk day, we didnt get any one and we gotta fill this spot signing. For some one like montreal. 

I dont think any one would give us more then a very low pick / neg lister for smith. 

I'm still on board with Smith. Obviously, we hope for more production and consistency but I think he showed enough to earn another year here. If he was abysmal, then I would look elsewhere. I think his upside is still really high.

4 hours ago, JCon said:

I'm still on board with Smith. Obviously, we hope for more production and consistency but I think he showed enough to earn another year here. If he was abysmal, then I would look elsewhere. I think his upside is still really high.

aside from his last game against BC, id say he was awful. His health could be a question. Did he come back while still banged up and not recover till late?  Small guys allways concern people more when hurt. but playing 35 games over 3 seasons doesnt help that complexion. Is he just a really poor fit for what we do offensively? He isnt arland bruce, the shake n bake cut back make things happen after the catch in traffic type. Hes more the catch and run or break free and make a big down field catch guy. And our offense doesnt do the deep pass much, or well. 

With our system and his health at best i have trouble seeing him out produce guys like stafford, or gurley. And I dont think he has a chance at denmark, dressler, or darvin adams. So i wouldnt take him over those top 3, and paying him top dollar to hope he can be no 4 when we allready are as tight to the cap as we have been in recent years seems like a poor choice. especially when stafford/gurley will/would be cheaper hands down. Id rather see that money sunk into a DE or LBer.

At his age, im sure he isnt done or close to it. And his best football could well be a head of him (if it isnt no football maybe ahead of him very quickly) but I dont like the risk/reward of that here. 

It makes it difficult to defend Smith when Denmark comes into town with no training camp and completely out performs him despite being older with much more mileage on him.  

I'm willing to bring back Smith another season to see if things can turn around for him.    They could always send him to Toronto for a first round 2018 pick ! 

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Brandon said:

It makes it difficult to defend Smith when Denmark comes into town with no training camp and completely out performs him despite being older with much more mileage on him.  

I'm willing to bring back Smith another season to see if things can turn around for him.    They could always send him to Toronto for a first round 2018 pick ! 

You would never get a 1st round pick for Smith.

I don't think we will get the requisite MLB  we need through free agency ... I hope we go all out recruiting for one down south .... my fear is we go status quo with Wilde & Bass .... our run stop is poor and maybe a new DT could be the difference maker but somehow I doubt that ... or is stopping the run a problem with who is our DC? Personally I think any DC will have run stop headaches with our current personnel ...