Game 52 : Lake Winnipeg @ Lake Michigan

1516JETS017_MTSCentre-VS-Graphics_620x33

Game Time : Thursday 730

Game Story : Jets lost their last 2 but winning in Chicago seems to be a guaranteed bet lately. Helle to start. Last game before All-Star break.

Local Celebrity Quote of the Game : Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they've got nothing to lose -  Robin Williams

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Just now, Ducky said:

If Enstrom does not play, everybody that wants him gone take a good look at our D.

So Chevy's inability to develop defensive depth is a reason that we should sit through another five years of Enstrom coughing up the puck?

This is worse than your Pavelec defence.

The anti-Toby people are the least relevant ones.  If a guy isnt scoring or laying people out, too many fans think they arent playing well.  Toby was having a great season until his personal family issue.  He's still not playing bad in this system and I dont begrudge him having his mind elseware if the reported issue is the case.

We;ve added Trouba and Myers and our D is still shaky at best.  It's the system.  Time for Huddy to go bye bye.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The anti-Toby people are the least relevant ones.  If a guy isnt scoring or laying people out, too many fans think they arent playing well.  Toby was having a great season until his personal family issue.  He's still not playing bad in this system and I dont begrudge him having his mind elseware if the reported issue is the case.

We;ve added Trouba and Myers and our D is still shaky at best.  It's the system.  Time for Huddy to go bye bye.

I reminded of a comment made Jokinen a few years ago and Toth brought it up again recently on TSN1290 about systems...

I guess Kane said something about learning the system and working in the system, blah, blah, blah. Jokinen said that was BS. There were like 5 systems, every player knows them and it's about execution.

I don't think the "system" is the problem, I think the execution in the problem. I tend to think that it's mostly on the coaches to get the players to follow the system. I don't think Huddy is effective and, sadly, I don't think Maurice is that effective either. I hope I'm wrong and PoMo can turn this around but I'm losing optimism.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes thats true but following the system is part of what we mean by "system".  Huddy has never been effective at his job.  Therefore he must go.  Same with Flaherty.  If the overall team under-performed like the D and goalies, we'd fire the head coach (and, in fact, we did).  So they should go.

Still confused as to how Noel got canned but all the assistants stayed...

Whatever the root cause, the system is not working...  you can see D men missing assignments through the whole season - when one chases his man, the other often doesn't recognize the need or is unable to switch sides - its a mess.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Still confused as to how Noel got canned but all the assistants stayed...

Whatever the root cause, the system is not working...  you can see D men missing assignments through the whole season - when one chases his man, the other often doesn't recognize the need or is unable to switch sides - its a mess.

One of the assistants got canned because he was considered "too close" to Noel.  Which begs the question, did everyone else hang him out to dry?

I thought when Maurice was hired he had the option to Keep Flaherty and Huddy or bring in his own guys, he chose to keep them. Perhaps in the end that's his downfall but perhaps in the end, it's his saving grace as he could say, well, how about we fire charlie and wade and let me bring my own guys in, even tho it's pretty apparent that it's Maurices systems or lack there of they are running, PP and PK look the same as they have now for  2 years. 

Last year Vincent was made the scape goat, This year? who knows, it will be someone irrelevant tho and if Maurice is  back next season, the PP and PK will continue to struggle, why? because everywhere he's coached, it's been the same story. 

Edited by Goalie

I got the impression Maurice was "willing" to keep the assistants as opposed to "wanting" to keep them.  The implication being the Jets either liked them or didnt want to pay out those contracts. its tougher during mid-season and when Maurice came in, the team played better so maybe the feeling was things were going in the right direction by summer.  But if Im Maurice Im wanting to upgrade my assistants this summer as condition to signing a new deal.  Because if this continues, he will end up going down with the ship eventually.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Everybody crapping on Enstrom, watch the game tomorrow with Brian Frigging Strait and/or Mark stuart and/or  Julian Melchiori on the left side and 1 in the top 4...

You will learn to appreciate Tiny Toby a bit more.

No.  It will teach us to start questioning Chevy.

I definitely question him about our D depth.....Center depth isn't that strong either.

I can't see how he doesn't address this during the off-season. I'd go free agency but Wheeler, Scheif, Little, Trouba, Morrissey, Laine and Ehlers are the only roster players I wouldn't trade in a deal to shore up our D.

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I definitely question him about our D depth.....Center depth isn't that strong either.

I can't see how he doesn't address this during the off-season. I'd go free agency but Wheeler, Scheif, Little, Trouba, Morrissey, Laine and Ehlers are the only roster players I wouldn't trade in a deal to shore up our D.

Lost me there...  

That's the only serious depth the Jets have - the problem this year was that Maurice kept trotting out Burmi as our next best option

Our D depth sucks, the rest of the depth is fine... 

Only Laine Scheif Ehlers,Morrissey,Roslovic,Connor and possibly Lowry would be my untouchables... yeah that includes Wheeler and Little, Why? Because I don't know how smart it is to hang on to them for much longer, Little is UFA after next season, Wheeler the season after, I'd seriously consider moving Little for some LHD help... and Wheeler? well, depends on what he wants in his next contract, if he wants long term big money, move him, if he's ok with a 2 or 3 year deal, you keep him, both these guys are well, one is over 30 and the other one is damn close to 30. 

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Lost me there...  

That's the only serious depth the Jets have - the problem this year was that Maurice kept trotting out Burmi as our next best option

When Little went down, it showed how poor our depth is in my opinion. We don't know what Roslo is yet but if he keeps progressing he looks like a keeper but who else is on the farm and/or in the system? De Leo? Harkins?

22 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Our D depth sucks, the rest of the depth is fine... 

Only Laine Scheif Ehlers,Morrissey,Roslovic,Connor and possibly Lowry would be my untouchables... yeah that includes Wheeler and Little, Why? Because I don't know how smart it is to hang on to them for much longer, Little is UFA after next season, Wheeler the season after, I'd seriously consider moving Little for some LHD help... and Wheeler? well, depends on what he wants in his next contract, if he wants long term big money, move him, if he's ok with a 2 or 3 year deal, you keep him, both these guys are well, one is over 30 and the other one is damn close to 30. 

I would agree on Wheeler and Little depending on amount and term of contract.

Just now, Ducky said:

When Little went down, it showed how poor our depth is in my opinion. We don't know what Roslo is yet but if he keeps progressing he looks like a keeper but who else is on the farm and/or in the system? De Leo? Harkins?

Like I said, the Jets promoted Burmistrov when Little went down even though he'd shown all of his bad tendencies...

Petan and Copp are showing that they're ready - maybe if Copp is our #2 C in November and Petan on powerplay instead of Lowry, we have a couple more wins...  moot point.

Scheif, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Copp, Petan, Connor, Roslo, Spacek, Harkins - that is solid C depth

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Like I said, the Jets promoted Burmistrov when Little went down even though he'd shown all of his bad tendencies...

Petan and Copp are showing that they're ready - maybe if Copp is our #2 C in November and Petan on powerplay instead of Lowry, we have a couple more wins...  moot point.

Scheif, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Copp, Petan, Connor, Roslo, Spacek, Harkins - that is solid C depth

Not sure if Copp was with the team in November???

Copp and Lowry are good 4th line centers....Lowry is okay with Armia and Matthias centering a 3rd? line.

Connor is a winger, Spacek hasn't even played a pro game yet and Harkins I think might eventually be a 4th C for us.

Little or Scheif goes down, who is our 2nd C? Copp? Seriously? I'd sooner see Wheeler at 2C than Copp. I think Copp's future is on the wing.

off-topic........Burmi has 5 points in 5 games with AZ.

12 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Not sure if Copp was with the team in November???

Copp and Lowry are good 4th line centers....Lowry is okay with Armia and Matthias centering a 3rd? line.

Connor is a winger, Spacek hasn't even played a pro game yet and Harkins I think might eventually be a 4th C for us.

Little or Scheif goes down, who is our 2nd C? Copp? Seriously? I'd sooner see Wheeler at 2C than Copp. I think Copp's future is on the wing.

off-topic........Burmi has 5 points in 5 games with AZ.

I listed four guys that could move into Little's spot if there was an injury.  That is called depth.

The rest of the guys have not played in the NHL yet but that is also known as depth.

As for Burmi, he's also been demoted from their top line... that didn't take long.

Just now, Floyd said:

I listed four guys that could move into Little's spot if there was an injury.  That is called depth.

The rest of the guys have not played in the NHL yet but that is also known as depth.

As for Burmi, he's also been demoted from their top line... that didn't take long.

Lots of players we COULD move into that spot...just none that deserve it.

Spacek probably projects more to be a RW in the pros. He's pretty small actually.  More winger I think. Not sure why ppl list Connor as a center when he basically has played wing his entire hockey career outside of 4 or 5 games with system less Michigan 

Edited by Goalie