Game 53 : Red River @ Mississippi

http://ingoalmag.com/analysis/goaltenders-aging-and-the-nhl/

And in some ways, things are not changing. The age of entry into the NHL remains around 23 years old and the age of starters is only slowly decreasing from an average of 30.1 in 2000-01 to an average of 28.6 in both 2013-14 and 2014-15. There are no more very young goaltenders entering the league than there were a decade ago.

The upshot is that goaltending in the NHL is still largely the domain of men aged 25 to 35. Players like Bernier are generally expected to be hitting their primes. It’s, again, a function of the intensely technical nature of the position and the fact that experience is accumulated at a different pace than physical aging occurs.

As long as young goalies are outplayed by 27-year-olds, that pattern will continue. The long development process for goaltenders pushes their NHL entry dates back, and the structure of the league mitigates against the need to push a 22-year-old into a position he isn’t ready for.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

So is Helle and Hutch?

For the millionth time I said look at him, not annoint him the #1. You think it hurt Copley the other night to get in  a game even though he let in 5 goals against us? Too late now anyway, they called up Pavs.

Should probably be aware that Copley is 25 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=90250

Comrie is 21. 

15 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Should probably be aware that Copley is 25 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=90250

Comrie is 21. 

Should be aware that he ahs only played 5 more AHL games than Comrie. You'd think by 25 he would have got a shot by now?

Should also be aware that Comrie was born in 95 and Copley in 92.

Edited by Ducky

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Should be aware that he ahs only played 5 more AHL games than Comrie. You'd think by 25 he would have got a shot by now?

Should also be aware that Comrie was born in 95 and Copley in 92.

Should be more aware that when Copley was 21 he was at Michigan Tech. 

FFS. You just need to argue about everything don't you? 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

cute-tank-drawing-little-33370203.jpg

Oh please it's too early to start tanking. I didn't start the disaster game titles last season until....looks it up and return 2 minutes later...okay, game 52 last year. So, I guess it is time to start tanking!

Just kidding. There's only like 2 guys worth drafting this year are there not? We had a good 3 or 4 prime picks at the point last year we were talking about.

Seems like we were out of it though after the all-star game a year ago :(

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Oh please it's too early to start tanking. I didn't start the disaster game titles last season until....looks it up and return 2 minutes later...okay, game 52 last year. So, I guess it is time to start tanking!

Just kidding. There's only like 2 guys worth drafting this year are there not? We had a good 3 or 4 prime picks at the point last year we were talking about.

Seems like we were out of it though after the all-star game a year ago :(

We were out of it by December. The Central is the weakest division in the league this year. I can't believe that if we win tomorrow, we could be 1 point out of a playoff spot. I think Maurice didn't want that pressure on Helle and he will get an easier game like Dallas and/or the Avs and then play Pavs against the Wild.

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

I think we might see a Pav-Helle rotation for the remainder of the year unless one of them starts playing well.

I doubt it. Pav will slowly see fewer and fewer games. Can't afford to let that many goals in a game, even if the team sometimes puts in more. 

24 minutes ago, JCon said:

I doubt it. Pav will slowly see fewer and fewer games. Can't afford to let that many goals in a game, even if the team sometimes puts in more. 

Pav is gonna be Pav.  It really depends if Helle gets better or not.  If he keeps playing the way he's played for the majority of the year it will be a Pav-Helle rotation.

Remember, there are only 30 games remaining.  So Pav "slowly seeing fewer and fewer games" is unlikely simply based on time.

I think Maurice is watching Helle's confidence and erring on the side of safety when it comes to giving him games right now. How would he take the Blues coming out and putting 3 behind him quickly? If they do it to Pavs, he's seen it many times!!!!! Besides, he isn't here next year anyway. The more I think of it the more I like the move to start Pavs. Give Helle one or both of the next two games in Dallas and Colorado.

Come back from the road trip and give Pavs the Wild and two days later Helle agains the Hawks in the first game of a b2b.......decide who plays TB the nexy night based on play (TB is in Minny the night before). What I'm saying is, to help Helle build his confidence, give him the games you think you have the best chance to win and the Hawks because he seems tohave their number. (He could very well be facing this team in the playoffs more than once in his career). 

The Jets are 3-4-1 in their last 8 games which have all been aginst conference rivals and so are the next 5 counting tonight. The last 6 of these 13 games are agains central division rivals. It's an important stretch of the schedule.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I still bet Helle gets at least 20 games. 

Unless, of course, the tank is on. 

This is my chief criticism with the organization.  I don't feel like they know their team as well as we're lead to believe.  On top of that, they've been prone to some questionable decision making.

I've probably said in this very thread "kajnbkjfanklfa tanking already?!?! We're 3 pts out!" - - reality is we're almost 2/3 way through the season.

We are what our record is, and in theory, the powers to be should have a reasonable expectation as to how we'll finish the year.