Offseason Offense Work with Coach Lapo

Noeller

interesting read. I thought last year there was an interview with Walters that said something along the line of the offseason basically goes in in cycle with the coaches,  this time of the year the coaches would be getting together to discuss FA and who/what they need/want, after that they go through piles of film on potential draftees, then work mini camps after the draft.    I could have made this all up of course in a dream

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Most teams ask their Asst's to commit to the next season by the end of January or sooner.   Would the WBB's hold him back if he's offered a HC job?  I doubt it.  That's not how they operate.  

However, I think Lapo has a good thing going in Winnipeg and he knows it.  Plus Toronto needs to make a big splash personnel  wise and I don't  think Lapo fits the bill. They need  a big name who will bring back the crowds.  That's why I think they'll through a ton of money at Trestman.  To me it makes the most sense. 

12 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Most teams ask their Asst's to commit to the next season by the end of January or sooner.   Would the WBB's hold him back if he's offered a HC job?  I doubt it.  That's not how they operate.  

However, I think Lapo has a good thing going in Winnipeg and he knows it.  Plus Toronto needs to make a big splash personnel  wise and I don't  think Lapo fits the bill. They need  a big name who will bring back the crowds.  That's why I think they'll through a ton of money at Trestman.  To me it makes the most sense. 

Umm, you can bet they would if losing him means that they can't in turn go after someone else.  Once the deadline rolls around, everyone knows that the team is under no obligation whatsoever to give permission.

Edited by WBBFanWest

On 1/29/2017 at 11:51 AM, Jpan85 said:

Jan 31 is the last day.

So no team can poach someone on a coaching staff after Jan 31?... under any circumstances?.... if Argos GM Jim Popp (I don't know just seems to make sense B)) calls up Wade Miller and asks to speak with LaPo about the HC job, can Wade allow that... or is the call not even allowed? 

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

So no team can poach someone on a coaching staff after Jan 31?... under any circumstances?.... if Argos GM Jim Popp (I don't know just seems to make sense B)) calls up Wade Miller and asks to speak with LaPo about the HC job, can Wade allow that... or is the call not even allowed? 

Not allowed - won't be happening. They'll be hiring either from within, or someone not currently coaching. Guaranteed.

I suspect that this year the Argos will basically know that it's a write off and just get a place holder until they can do a proper search next season. At least that's what would be smart if you ask me. How do you bring everything together this close to the season when you can't pick people from other teams? Take a knee this year and make next year their focus. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

As I understand it he's not allowed to call Wade Miller regardless of the date - he has to call the league first.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I suspect that this year the Argos will basically know that it's a write off and just get a place holder until they can do a proper search next season. At least that's what would be smart if you ask me. How do you bring everything together this close to the season when you can't pick people from other teams? Take a knee this year and make next year their focus. 

Might have quite a few people getting job experience they would otherwise have had to wait a while for.