Game 54 : Three for the Road @ Lone Star

23 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Pavs was very good.  I think what Pavs has been providing that the other goalies havent is his propensity for the ridiculous save, which he makes 1-3 times per game.  Sometimes its because of his style (ie. being out of position).   Sometimes he just makes a great save (the breakaway) due to his athleticism.  I dont think anyone said he wasnt very very athletic.  That's his style.  And in the short term, it seems great.  In the long term we know Pavs might have a long highlight reel but will have below average stats.

But, from a pyshcological point of view, those big saves probably fuel the Jets' players more than a boring, consistent style.  If Helle had the exact same stats because he didnt let in the bad goals but didnt save the crazy ones, people would say its the goaltending.  And maybe the skaters would be more deflated.  There might be more of an acceptance that sure, Pavs will let it one bad goal per game, maybe two, but he will bail us out when we screw up so we wont hold it against him - just score 4 - goals and we'll win.

At this point you have to keep playing him.

I think the bigger issue is that Helle let in 3 goals on 6 shots or 3 goals on 7 shots... haven't seen Pav do that yet this season, and almost never in the past either.  Tough to trust a goalie who has games like that back-to-back.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think the bigger issue is that Helle let in 3 goals on 6 shots or 3 goals on 7 shots... haven't seen Pav do that yet this season, and almost never in the past either.  Tough to trust a goalie who has games like that back-to-back.

Sure but is that a bad couple of games or is Helle finished as an NHL goalie?  Because his sv% and GAA is still better than Pavs.  That would indicate his bad two games was an aberration, not the norm.

Jets see themselves as still in playoff contention and they are desperate.  They would play Bob Essensa if the end result was a win, regardless of whether the score was 14-12.  I think we can speculate that Chipman's patience is a bit thinner this season.  he wants the playoffs.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sure but is that a bad couple of games or is Helle finished as an NHL goalie?  Because his sv% and GAA is still better than Pavs.  That would indicate his bad two games was an aberration, not the norm.

Jets see themselves as still in playoff contention and they are desperate.  They would play Bob Essensa if the end result was a win, regardless of whether the score was 14-12.  I think we can speculate that Chipman's patience is a bit thinner this season.  he wants the playoffs.

Exactly, that's kinda what I'm getting at.  I think everyone in the Jets organization knows that Pav is a stopgap and Helle still has a future here as a starter.  But now is not the time to let him develop and find out whether his poor play was an aberration.  They need the (relative) consistency of Pavelec right now more than the roller coaster that Helle seemed to be riding in his last handful of starts.