Chat

Rich

The new chat is up and running.  It is called Babble and you can find the link to it up on the site header. 

With CFL Free Agency less than 10 days away, it will be an opportunity to try it out with a larger number of people in the room at the same time.   The old chat is still around for now if anything goes wrong during free agency.

It looks an awful lot like the old chat when you get in, but it is quite different under the hood.  The primary difference being is I now host it, and although I have been assured it should handle the number of people we put in there, you just never really know until you try.

Some other commands / new features you will see in there:

1. Ignore ->  I think this will probably be the most popular new feature, as it has been requested quite a bit .. but you can now put people on ignore in chat. This is a different list then the ignore list in the forum, so you need to put people on ignore in chat separately.  Just click someones picture on the right hand side and pick ignore

2. Editing -> If you click on your own posts you can now edit them (click on your name beside the post you want to edit).  A little pencil will show up beside it to indicate you've edited it.

3. Quotes -> Click on someone else's chat and you can quote it to respond to it just like you can when posting.  

4. Whispers -> You can have private conversations with other people.  If you whisper someone their name will show up in the top bar of the chat box and you can click back and forth between your private conversations and main chat.

5. Pictures -> There is little downarrow on the toolbar on top of the text area where you type your chat.  You can pick the picture button here.  Pictures will be hidden in a "spoiler" type wrapper so people can't spam chat with them.  People need to click to open them.    You can also use the buttons here to paste links and use quote boxes.

For people who prefer typing to clicking icons, here are some text based commands.  All text based commands start with a /.  The / indicates to the chat program that it is a command and not text for chat

1. /rules -> Will display the rules of the chat.  This will display to you only, not everyone in the chat.  Usage:  /rules

2. /me -> Shows an action or an emote in chat.  Usage:  /me is taking a break to get a beer

3. /stats -> Displays the stats for the rooms.  Usage: /stats

4. /ignore -> Allows you to ignore another member.  Usage:  /ignore <Member Name>

5. /unignore -> Allows you to remove a member from your ignore list.  Usage:  /uningnore <Member Name>

6. /quote -> Will display text you type in a quote box, just like you can when posting.  Usage:  /quote This text will be in quotes.

7. /img -> Will display an image in a wrapper.  Usage:  /img <URL to image>

There are two buttons on the far right on the blue bar of the chat window:

Settings -> Allows you to decide what events you see notifications for.  (People entering / leaving the room, etc)  You can decide how many new chat messages are required for your browser to notify you, and you can decide if new messages show up at the bottom of chat or top of chat (Reverse Order or Message Order)

Open in Pop Out -> Will allow you to "pop out" the chat into its own window.

• Rich pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Want to post in this thread so it doesn't get buried.

There is a bug with chat right now where it is causing errors for new member registrations, so I've been disabling the chat when not in use.

If you ever want to use the chat or I forget to enable it for an event, a PM is probably the fastest way to get my attention to turn it back on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-05-08 at 7:53 AM, Rich said:

Want to post in this thread so it doesn't get buried.

There is a bug with chat right now where it is causing errors for new member registrations, so I've been disabling the chat when not in use.

If you ever want to use the chat or I forget to enable it for an event, a PM is probably the fastest way to get my attention to turn it back on.

This bug appears to be fixed.   Chat should now always be "on".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Rich unpinned this topic