Super Bowl

Noeller

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

what a game! that was more of a cfl game then nfl with that come back. Watching I couldnt help but think, how many great plays would have been erased by our dumb PI rules. 

Very true... not just the rules but the inconsistent application of them.

The Super Bowl was extraordinarily well-officiated.  I can't remember even one controversial call.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

I can't believe how much Ryan choked and how soft Atlanta played..... I absolutely despise when teams try to play not to lose and try to run out the clock....

They did the opposite and lost because they didn't run out the clock and make sure they controlled the ball.

6 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

The damage was done in the first half for the Falcons D. Even though they were down a pile the Pats had the ball for 20 minutes. By the time 4th quarter came around they were gassed. It ended up being 40 min to 23 min by the end of the game.

Plus the fact that arrogant Kyle Shannahan went away from the running game once they had  a big lead.  The play call that led to Ryan's sack/fumble was curious to say the least.  If you're going to pass, short quick routes would have been far safer.  Leaving him in the pocket for an extended period of time (with the Pats clearly blitzing because they trailed), was just dumb.

It's hard to understand why people are trying to justify the NFL style OT because any format that gives a coin flip that much importance is dumb.  Personally, I think the reason that they do this is because they do not want a protracted OT.  It would unduly screw up the network TV schedule too much.  Ultimately, it's always about the $$.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

It's hard to understand why people are trying to justify the NFL style OT because any format that gives a coin flip that much importance is dumb.  Personally, I think the reason that they do this is because they do not want a protracted OT.  It would unduly screw up the network TV schedule too much.  Ultimately, it's always about the $$.

There are many reasons not to have a protracted OT.  It's football.  These guys are already being pushed to their absolute limit.  You can play 18 innings in baseball... play 6 quarters in football and guys are dying on the field.

26 minutes ago, Atomic said:

There are many reasons not to have a protracted OT.  It's football.  These guys are already being pushed to their absolute limit.  You can play 18 innings in baseball... play 6 quarters in football and guys are dying on the field.

$, Atomic, when it comes to stuff like this, it's always about the $.

14 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

$, Atomic, when it comes to stuff like this, it's always about the $.

It usually plays a part but in this case, that is misguided.  If it were true then we'd see the same thing in all major sports but MLB, NHL, and NBA can all go on into eternity during the playoffs so there's no reason why the NFL couldn't be the same.  Football is not like other sports, that's why they can only play once a week.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Baseball doesn't have two ways to score, a FG and a TD. If NE could only score a FG, the game would have continued.

I like the NFL's 'play a real game of football in OT' over the CFL's start in FG range and see who can score a TD. I wouldn't mind each team getting a shot to play offense, but I don't see that as as big a problem as the NE haters around here do.

I don't see how you can refer to it as a "real game of football in OT" if I team can score a TD and win. If both sides got a drive, then it would be a real game simulation.

Just like in Soccer.  They go back and forth until one team gets outscored.  One team gets a shot, then the other team.  That's how it should be done.  Either that or make them play for another allotted amount of time.  Whoever makes the most points in that time wins.

Edited by Logan007

22 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't see how you can refer to it as a "real game of football in OT" if I team can score a TD and win. If both sides got a drive, then it would be a real game simulation.

Real game as in the rules of the game stay the same. Kick off then play from the point you return it to and see if you can't score. If you don't score then you have to punt the ball back to the other team. If you manage a FG, the other team gets a chance to match or beat you. If you score a TD, then you win outright, which is the one problem that most folks seem to have with the NFL rules. Both sides getting a turn on offence wouldn't make it more like a real game. Having 2 15 minute halves would.

CFL OT rules have no kick off or punts. You start at the 35 either score a FG or a TD then the other team takes over at the 35. You get no advantage for moving the ball better or further than the other team. It's basically a shoot out format, where you eliminate a lot of the games intricacies.  

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Real game as in the rules of the game stay the same. Kick off then play from the point you return it to and see if you can't score. If you don't score then you have to punt the ball back to the other team. If you manage a FG, the other team gets a chance to match or beat you. If you score a TD, then you win outright, which is the one problem that most folks seem to have with the NFL rules. Both sides getting a turn on offence wouldn't make it more like a real game. Having 2 15 minute halves would.

CFL OT rules have no kick off or punts. You start at the 35 either score a FG or a TD then the other team takes over at the 35. You get no advantage for moving the ball better or further than the other team. It's basically a shoot out format, where you eliminate a lot of the games intricacies.  

The players union probably had a say in determining this format so games would be decided fairly quickly and wouldn't drag on.

NFL has the best format.  It's actual football.  I don't get how Canadians dislike it.  Are people bellyaching that the losing team in a sudden death hockey OT didn't get another shot on goal to try to score?  Pretty similar.  Two teams on the field playing ball.  Stop them from scoring a TD and your offence gets a shot to.