CFL Schedule

Noeller

I know that there are a lot of folks in Winnipeg that do the cottage thing, but I have to say, scheduling games on a Thursday night is giving us that have to drive for hours to get to Winnipeg the big ol middle finger.  I was at the Hamilton game last year and if we hadn't booked a hotel room (which adds a fair bit of expense) we would have gotten home at about 5ish in the morning.  Makes going to work Friday morning a bit of a challenge for an old guy like me.

Having said that I do realize that the focus of the organization has, and always will be inside the perimeter.  It's how it works in this province. 

48 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I know that there are a lot of folks in Winnipeg that do the cottage thing, but I have to say, scheduling games on a Thursday night is giving us that have to drive for hours to get to Winnipeg the big ol middle finger.

Appealing to the cottage people ended a long time ago when they discovered people actually like going to a Saturday night game and I for one(non- cottage owner) appreciated it. Death to the Czar's!

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Home Games in bold.

SAT JUN 10              8:00 Pm         WPG@SSK 

THU JUN 15             7:30 PM         EDM@WPG

SAT JUL 1                 8:00 PM         WPG@SSK 

FRI JUL 7                  7:30 PM         CGY@WPG 

THU JUL 13              7:30 PM         TOR@WPG 

FRI JUL 21                9:00 PM         WPG@BC 

THU JUL 27              7:30 PM         MTL@WPG 

FRI AUG 4                6:00 PM         WPG@OTT 

SAT AUG 12             6:30 PM         WPG@HAM

THU AUG 17            7:30 PM         EDM@WPG 

THU AUG 24            6:30 PM         WPG@MTL 

SUN SEPT 3             3:00 PM         WPG@SSK 

SAT SEPT 9             2:00 PM         SSK@WPG

FRI SEPT 22            7:00 PM         OTT@WPG 

SAT SEPT 30           8:30 PM         WPG@EDM 

FRI OCT 6                 7:30 PM         HAM@WPG 

SAT OCT 14             3:00 PM         BC@WPG 

SAT OCT 21             3:00 PM         WPG@TOR 

SAT OCT 28             3:00 PM         BC@WPG 

FRI NOV 3                8:30 PM         WPG@CGY 

They have a really hard time putting together a pre-season schedule that makes any sense.  Our games are 5 days apart.  EDM plays 4 days apart.  Pointless.

3 Thursday night home games in a row in summer.  Count on sub-25000 crowds for those.  Lame.

3 Friday night home games which is nice.  Week 13 bye is okay.  Not a huge fan of week 1 bye... in the 3 seasons since OTT joined, we've now had to deal with the week 20 bye and the week 1 bye.  9 teams and we get the bullshit all the time.  I hope the CFL realizes we're keeping track.  SSK - CGY - TOR - BC - MTL to start the season.  That's not so bad.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

They have a really hard time putting together a pre-season schedule that makes any sense.  Our games are 5 days apart.  EDM plays 4 days apart.  Pointless.

The CFL preseason is used to look at new players, so it's not pointless. I would like to see them more spread out but it's not like starters see the field all that much.

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

3 Thursday night home games in a row in summer.  Count on sub-25000 crowds for those.  Lame.

3 Friday night home games which is nice.  Week 13 bye is okay.  Not a huge fan of week 1 bye... in the 3 seasons since OTT joined, we've now had to deal with the week 20 bye and the week 1 bye.  9 teams and we get the bullshit all the time.  I hope the CFL realizes we're keeping track.  SSK - CGY - TOR - BC - MTL to start the season.  That's not so bad.

Bye weeks are all cycled between teams as evenly as possible, so it should be a good 5 or 6 seasons before we see either a week 1 or 20 again.

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Appealing to the cottage people ended a long time ago when they discovered people actually like going to a Saturday night game and I for one(non- cottage owner) appreciated it. Death to the Czar's!

Hey now, speak for yourself.  I don't own any property outside the city and I fully support Thurs games in the summer over Saturday night, especially. Friday's are a good middle ground.

Saturday games in the summer mean your weekend completely revolves around football - hey, not complaining!  But some of us NEED some nature in the summer to counter hibernating all winter.

Other than the preseason schedule, the week 1 bye and having to play Regina 4 times this year, I like the schedule much better than last year's.

No really short weeks or 3 games in 2 weeks. Only 1 back to back. No waiting until the end of the year to play any team. The second bye comes at a good time for us. No playing all the bad teams in a row. 

I'm guessing that it's the Bombers who want the Thursday games, which are no problem for me cuz I'm not in Winnipeg anyway.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Hey now, speak for yourself.  I don't own any property outside the city and I fully support Thurs games in the summer over Saturday night, especially. Friday's are a good middle ground.

Saturday games in the summer mean your weekend completely revolves around football - hey, not complaining!  But some of us NEED some nature in the summer to counter hibernating all winter.

There's plenty of wildlife at IGF.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Ride your bike to the game ;) 

Looks like a pretty decent schedule other than our week 1 bye. Oh well, we can look forward to watching Darian Durant humble the Riders in the season opener, and then the Bombers silencing the Mosaic home crowd in our season opener.

Any way you look at it, the schedule release means one important thing..

Football season is getting closer!

19 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Ottawa gets 3 bye weeks...6,18,20....??? ...

Because they have to play twice during the "special week" in week 5 where the league plays 5 games to accommodate an 81 game schedule. They have to play on the road Friday (in the West no less), then the following Wednesday at home, then the following Monday on the road, before their first bye. I'd rather have 2 byes (even if one is in week 1 or 20) than have 3 games in 3 cities in 11 days. They even get screwed by having week 20 as one of their 3 byes.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Schedule's up. Week 1 bye is pretty shitty. That takes us into a week two stadium opening game with the Riders.

It can be good. TC really puts a beating on the health of a team. Gives you time to recover. Also allows more time to evaluate your team, build chemistry practicing with the roster you break camp with, and you get to study a week of game film on the opponent going into the first game of the season. It can be a great advantage for our coaches to take.