CHL players seek compensation in minimum-wage lawsuit

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

CHL should be disbanded altogether.  Let them play high school/college hockey like every other sport.  I've never liked how they run this league.  Kids getting drafted at 14/15 years old... it's just wrong.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

CHL should be disbanded altogether.  Let them play high school/college hockey like every other sport.  I've never liked how they run this league.  Kids getting drafted at 14/15 years old... it's just wrong.

The alternative is that you have elite players all moving to certain neighbourhoods to play at a certain, elite hockey school. It already happens at the lower levels.

I'm not sure drafting is the answer but I don't know what is.

I'd be curious to know the difference in $$$ between the current system (stipend and free university based on how long you play in the CHL) vs everyone getting paid the minimum wage. A lot of CHL teams barely scrape by right now.  Would MW make it worse or better (I assume with MW the free University would get dropped along with the stipend).  And if you do go with MW is it the same for all players or would teams be allowed to pay more to certain players as they see fit.  That would probably kill off more than a few teams if the latter option came to pass.

49 minutes ago, JCon said:

The alternative is that you have elite players all moving to certain neighbourhoods to play at a certain, elite hockey school. It already happens at the lower levels.

I'm not sure drafting is the answer but I don't know what is.

Hmm yes true.  How do they handle basketball and football in the States?  Same issue?

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Hmm yes true.  How do they handle basketball and football in the States?  Same issue?

Oh yes. That's a huge issue. Players move.

If you're truly elite, then you go to a prep school with a top coach and other top players.

This article gives a decent glimpse into some of the WHL financials...

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/companies-and-industries/junior-hockey-class-action-chl-ohl-whl/

There are a few teams in the CHL that are worth good money and make good money.  But the majority are either barely hanging on or just getting by.  Few if any of the teams own their buildings so they're not making money off of that, usually they're on a multiyear lease that raises in price every few years.  Basically ticket sales, merch and local advertising funds a CHL team.  And there's no big tv contract to divide between the teams, you're lucky if Sportsnet shows one game a week.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that these poor kids are exploited for big money.  It's their choice to play, they don't have to.  It's a high level of hockey that has major exposure to the pro leagues scouts.  You get a free year of University per year played so for those not going on to the pros have an education option.  

They could certainly increase the stipend and improve the education option to make it more attractive for the kids and their parents.  Many already choose the NCAA route in part for the free ride at a good U.S school.  To the point that Kyle O'Connor made in that original article the medical care could and should be improved as well.  But full on hourly rate?  Back to my previous question, what would the difference in $$$ be from the current system to a new MW system?  If the answer is minimal then sure fine go ahead.  If not then MW could be the end for a number of CHL teams.  That would be a damn shame.

This will hurt the kids who think they can play in the NHL & are in high school now just scraping by. If the court case is successful & teams in the CHL do fold leaving university as the only way to get to the NHL then they'll be left behind. No point talking about improving scholarships if a player doesn't have the marks to get into university in the first place because it doesn't matter under the present system. .

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 3 weeks later...