First sexual assault by Syrian refugee in Canada

kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

People want to know.  That's really the end-of-story.  People want to know so the news has an obligation to report it if they know.

For some, yes, they want to know the whole picture, something one can safely say this is what's going on overall, taking in all the complexities, scenarios and realities. Some would call this a fact, some limitations attached to it, but not significant enough to dispute it.  

For others, they only want to 'know' if it fits into their entrenched narrative. If it doesn't, I'm not sure how much 'growing my understanding' is going on.

I think we are all guilty of our entrenched narratives but some are better than others at catching themselves before it actually negatively and unfairly impacts someone else. 

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I think we are all guilty of our entrenched narratives

Truth. I certainly got lots of stuff that makes my knee jerk.

I have to say that I'm appreciating the political conversations on MBB. Everyone online is retreating into their own echo chambers.  Having a place where diverse viewpoints can talk in a largely civil manner helps me challenge and clarify my thoughts on lots of different issues.

(maybe it seems uncivil here at times, but compared to other places, this place is like the Swiss parliament.)

The fact of the matter is that right now we are accepting Syrian refugees into Canada. Even before the US election many were against rushing the immigration of the refugees without ensuring a good vetting process was in place. The fact that it was a Syrian refugee shows that many were correct in that a better vetting process should have been used. It isn't the same as if it were a white male born in Canada because then he didn't go through a vetting process. The fact is all immigrants should be properly vetted and they typically are, with the Syrian refugees though they were rushed through without a proper vetting process so news like this is going to be important to those who were against the rush in the first place. It also is not about hate, or racism. The fact of the matter is the cultural differences leads them to believe that the molestation of women and children is not wrong, those gentleman need to be identified that their culture is so engrained that they won't understand that it is wrong. Just like im sure many of us would not invite homeless people in off the streets to play with our children without having someone be a reference for how good they are with children and having them go through a proper vetting process.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Because the original poster was trying to make a point.... a racist one mind you.... 

It's best to let this thread die.  

oh good grief, what a stupid comment.  Yes, pointing out a guy who assaulted six girls in a pool was "racist", this is why Trump wins and Brex-it happened, every time anything is discussed that doesn't fit the narrative of the SJW lunatic that person is "racist".  Just disgusting.  Just awful.  Hang your head in shame, just like this judge should.

A man accused of sexual assault hugged his wife after learning his charges were dismissed Friday. Meanwhile, a group of teenage girls and their supporters left the courtroom in tears.

Soleiman Hajj Soleiman was arrested in February 2017 after several teenagers reported being touched by a man in the West Edmonton Mall water park. He was acquitted of all charges against him — six counts of sexual assault and six counts of sexual contact with a child — in a provincial court ruling Friday morning.

Justice Joyce Lester said that while something did happen at the mall’s wave pool, there was not enough reliable evidence to convict Soleiman.

The witnesses, who were ages 13 to 15 at the time of the event, gave varying descriptions of the man’s head and facial hair, skin colour and age during the trial. One said he wore blue goggles, while another said he wore rainbow goggles in a zebra pattern.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/man-not-guilty-in-west-edmonton-mall-pool-sexual-assaults

Edited by kelownabomberfan

4 hours ago, alexsurk said:

He next question is why do we not post about every sexual assault that happens in this country, why is this one singled out?

relief for syrian refugees

really - so six girls are sexually assaulted in pools all the time?  Give your head a shake.

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎12 at 3:58 AM, JamesAlex said:

I think you were wrong, I know some Syrian Refugees and they deserved to live in any state,  and every culture or state have two people 1 is bad and 1 is good so don't compare andy Syrian from it, we have to save the children Syria who were killed by Israelis

thanks for the link - where are Israelis mentioned?