CFL Combine

Mike

7 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

As far as the draft goes I think we need to seperate it even further from the NFL DRAFT so that all the Canadian prospects have plenty of time so sign up for a tryout with an NFL club ... then say in early to mid May have a draft of the unsigned Canadians ... and then after that have a draft of the NFL signed players who would then stay on the clubs' neg lists ... less guessing and a lot more fair ... who cares how we used to do it; lets do what actually makes sense

This is a least a step in the right direction.....gotta do something.What's the point of rating the top 10 if half stick in the NFL?

This quite the problem indeed.

Josiah St. John - plays for the Riders

Philip Gagnon - plays for the Allouettes

Brandon Revenberg - plays for the Ticats

Brian Jones - plays for the Argos

Charles Vaillancourt - plays for the Lions

Alex Singleton - plays for the Stamps

Jason Lauzon-Seguin - plays for the redblacks

Tevaun Smith - drafted by Edmonton, signed by the Colts, cut and moved to PR, since released and re-signed with Colts to a futures contract

Trent Corney - plays for the Bombers

Micheal Couture - plays for the Bombers

Wayne Moore - plays for the Allouettes

Anthony Thompson - plays for the Lions

DJ Sackey - plays for the Argos

Mercer Timmis - plays for the Ticats

Juwan Brescacin - plays for the Stamps

Mikael Charland - plays for the redblacks

Arjen Colquhoun - drafted by Edmonton, signed by Cowboys, injured and released.  Not sure where he is.  Best guess is he'll re-sign with Dallas for another crack when healthy.

So that's all the picks in the first two rounds.  Every player is playing for the CFL team that drafted them except Edmonton's two picks.  Tevaun Smith has been released two or three times already by the Colts.  What will the wait on him be?  One more year?

I know the Andy Mulamba situation has scarred some people, but this isn't the huge problem you are making it out to be.

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I remember at one point milt talked about doing that. Wouldnt be any less canadian then ben cahoon. Im kind of torn on the idea. But i think it would be used soo seldom it wouldnt be of much impact. 

At a quick glance the bombers that would be eligible would be bryant, denmark, dressler, medlock and randle. Some how denmark still wouldnt get any love. medlock would go up in desirability but not pay. dressler and bryant would make bank of it. I could see it extending the career of mid tier kicker/punters, making wrs and ol a good chunk more money and extending careers as long as bodies held up.

I didnt include qbs cus ratio. If they did some thing like that id want to see the ratio go up to either 8 starters or more bench. But id also like to see more reward for 8 starting NI.  

That would be nice... starting 9 Canadians ;)

Bryant - Bond - Goossen - Chungh - Hardrick
Denmark - Smith - Dressler - Stafford - Adams
Nichols
Harris - Normand

Westerman - Nevis - Scott - Okpalaungo
Leggett - Knox - Wild
Randle - Heath - Loffler - Johnson - Frederick

*Note*: yes I realize every player may not be in the right spot... this was merely a position by position reflection...

9 hours ago, mbrg said:

This quite the problem indeed.

Josiah St. John - plays for the Riders

Philip Gagnon - plays for the Allouettes

Brandon Revenberg - plays for the Ticats

Brian Jones - plays for the Argos

Charles Vaillancourt - plays for the Lions

Alex Singleton - plays for the Stamps

Jason Lauzon-Seguin - plays for the redblacks

Tevaun Smith - drafted by Edmonton, signed by the Colts, cut and moved to PR, since released and re-signed with Colts to a futures contract

Trent Corney - plays for the Bombers

Micheal Couture - plays for the Bombers

Wayne Moore - plays for the Allouettes

Anthony Thompson - plays for the Lions

DJ Sackey - plays for the Argos

Mercer Timmis - plays for the Ticats

Juwan Brescacin - plays for the Stamps

Mikael Charland - plays for the redblacks

Arjen Colquhoun - drafted by Edmonton, signed by Cowboys, injured and released.  Not sure where he is.  Best guess is he'll re-sign with Dallas for another crack when healthy.

So that's all the picks in the first two rounds.  Every player is playing for the CFL team that drafted them except Edmonton's two picks.  Tevaun Smith has been released two or three times already by the Colts.  What will the wait on him be?  One more year?

I know the Andy Mulamba situation has scarred some people, but this isn't the huge problem you are making it out to be.

Your missing the point ....teams are targeting is this player going to stick in the NFL ?and drafting based on that assumption. To the point that players drop down in the draft if their is a concern. Pointing out after the fact doesn't help the teams at the draft. There is more and more Cdns sticking in the NFL....and how do we compete as a league is the reality.

11 hours ago, BigBlue said:

As far as the draft goes I think we need to seperate it even further from the NFL DRAFT so that all the Canadian prospects have plenty of time so sign up for a tryout with an NFL club ... then say in early to mid May have a draft of the unsigned Canadians ... and then after that have a draft of the NFL signed players who would then stay on the clubs' neg lists ... less guessing and a lot more fair ... who cares how we used to do it; lets do what actually makes sense

Almost impossible to move it to mid May would only give teams a week to sign their payers to have them in for rookie camp even the way it is now 2 weeks is tight.

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

That would be nice... starting 9 Canadians ;)

Bryant - Bond - Goossen - Chungh - Hardrick
Denmark - Smith - Dressler - Stafford - Adams
Nichols
Harris - Normand

Westerman - Nevis - Scott - Okpalaungo
Leggett - Knox - Wild
Randle - Heath - Loffler - Johnson - Frederick

*Note*: yes I realize every player may not be in the right spot... this was merely a position by position reflection...

no kidding. If that was the case idk what we would do with the draft picks. Could we just use them to fill up a big tower and swim in them scrooge mcduck style?

Just seems ridiculous that because Foucault never played a down in the CFL... Montreal still owns his rights now that he's a vet

But Muamba plays a couple years with the Bombers then chases his NFL dream and comes back a UFA.

Really like the permanent resident idea...  you'd see lots of vets doing it though as a way to extend their careers...  

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Just seems ridiculous that because Foucault never played a down in the CFL... Montreal still owns his rights now that he's a vet

But Muamba plays a couple years with the Bombers then chases his NFL dream and comes back a UFA.

Really like the permanent resident idea...  you'd see lots of vets doing it though as a way to extend their careers...  

Didn't Kenny Ploen do this too?

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Almost impossible to move it to mid May would only give teams a week to sign their payers to have them in for rookie camp even the way it is now 2 weeks is tight.

Disagree it is a problem ... they will sign if they want to play  (before main camp) and there is not that much wiggle room for the draftees any way

23 hours ago, Floyd said:

It was brought up before on here, when you develop a guy and he goes to the nfl then comes back a FA you should get some sort of compensation from the team that picks him up. 

After a while the draft rights are just like neg rights. Lots of vets down south have their cfl rights owned the same was as foucault. They spent the pick so it doesnt count against the NL. (from what i understand)

10 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I would flip Herdman and Behar. With Behar going to the Bombers.

makes sense, we have some Canadian lb and short Canadian receiver right?

There's a  good interview with Boateng at CFL.ca..... seems like an outstanding person, and looks pretty fearsome on the field.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Wonder what his reasoning for Ankou dropping?  Auclair out of the first two rounds too.

I was wondering the same thing too... Auclair is almost a lock to be in the NFL next year... but I guess Ankou is getting some interest too...

I always find it interesting that every CFL mock draft is so different...

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

While I don't agree with some of his picks what this does show is the fallout from Simonese getting taken out of the draft.

Before that happened one of him and Vandervoort being available for the Bombers at #6 seemed pretty plausible; now it's likely that the Bombers will be lucky enough to draft one of those guys, which we really could use.  There seems to be some mock consensus that Hamilton is mock drafting a mock receiver at #4.

8 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Vandervoort does not get past Hamiton. Simonese or not.

Which is a real shame. I have a sense that the Bombers would have really liked him.

Although, that's just a feeling and not based on any information that I have or real knowledge.

Any chance the Bombers take him at 1?

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Which is a real shame. I have a sense that the Bombers would have really liked him.

Although, that's just a feeling and not based on any information that I have or real knowledge.

Any chance the Bombers take him at 1?

I wondered this myself, but I dunno.....taking a REC at #1 is pretty risky, never mind our past history of drafting receivers in the first round :s