CFL Combine

Mike

1 minute ago, Mike said:

It's the same thing Floyd always does. He looks at news clippings and statistics pages and comes up with an expert opinion about a bunch of guys he's never seen play. You'll notice how three separate posters on this page alone have asked him to share his opinion on Vandervoort as a prospect and all he will tell you is how many yards he put up last season.

I won't make assumptions, but I truly doubt he's ever seen Vandervoort play and I'm assuming that he just doesn't like the guy as a prospect because he's got a funny last name or something. The Floyd Favorites always come out in draft season.

I don't know about Vandervoort going at the number one spot, however I do know I like him as a prospect. He's got a lot to clean up in his game, as CIS receivers always do, but his natural abilities are some of the best I've seen from a receiver coming out of the CIS in a while. He tracks the ball very well in the air, he's already got the instincts and compete level to go up and fight for the ball in traffic. His route running needs some work, as they usually do, but he's a good instinctual receiver with solid mitts. I'd like to get him but I just don't know if it's in the cards with our draft positioning.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate (unless he bombs the combine) to pick him at #3 if we could somehow work a trade with BC if they were interested in leaping ahead of Saskatchewan. I don't think Saskatchewan and Winnipeg will have their eyes on similar guys, so I could see us moving down to #3 to stay ahead of Hamilton. Maybe something like #1 and #23 for #3, #16 and #24. Who knows.

Of course, I look at clippings and of course, I haven't seem him play... IM IN THE YUKON!!!!

You know, its always just a few guys that re-cast my posts as 'expert' or be all, end all...  and then make yourselves out like some sort of heroes for standing up for, now, Vandervoort...

Now you 'disagree' with me by saying exactly the same thing I just said...  we shouldn't pick Vandervoort at #1 but he'd be a fine pick at #6.

Then throw in an awful idea to trade down to #3 to get Vandervoort just to show that you don't agree in front of 'the gang'...  its pretty old hat.

Here's my prediction for the bombers targets from the official forum...  see I'm not picking on your new favourite receiver that no one on this forum was talking about until today...  I like his name.

Really think the bombers list is close to this:
1. Ankou
2. Simonise
3. Mulumba
4. Vandervoort
5. Gray/Woods

(Assuming Senior, Auclair and Herdman are NFL bound...)

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wasn't comparing players directly, was responding to the idea that picking a receiver #1 is dumb.

There hasn't been anyone remotely as polished as Vandevoort in a draft since Fantuz.  Not just athletically, but as a receiver.  The only guys near them would be Coehoorn, and maybe Shawn Gore.  The rest in that time in terms of good receiver prospects have been just athletes that teams would have to teach how to play, basically like how a Simonise or Auclair would be in this draft.  Vandevoort will be one of the top NI receivers as a rookie.

wasnt the talking point vandervoort not ni wr it self? 

With simonise out certainly been a long while since a NI wr had the polish and potential to go with it. I worry his cis game speed isnt going to translate as well as one would hope. You can find polished guy lower in the draft normally, but guys who have a heavy deficit in terms of athletic ability. If our scout team thinks hes going to translate well to the cfl athletically then i think his case for no1 would be much stronger. Especially if he will be in camp and soo many other top 5 guys wouldnt. 

I dont think their is much of a chance he comes into the league first year and produces on the fantuz/sinopoli level. If he produced right away like gore Id be shocked. 

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

My favorite Vandervoort high lite is him catching a onside punt in the air for a TD

one handed snag on a mid to deep route with out losing stride. That kind of concentration, with body control and great show of hands grabs my attention. Bugs me to no end when i see wrs body catch and alligator arm catches. 

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Here's my prediction for the bombers targets from the official forum...  see I'm not picking on your new favourite receiver that no one on this forum was talking about until today...  I like his name.

1. Ankou
2. Simonise
3. Mulumba
4. Vandervoort
5. Gray/Woods

Ankou is as much of a NFL prospect as anyone in the draft and playing a position that doesn't even exist in the CFL, the 330 lb nose tackle.  He'd need to shed a bunch of weight and he's likely to do the opposite for a shot in the NFL at nose.  I think he's going to fall into the 2nd or 3rd round.

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The same as about 95% of this board... :rolleyes:

Since, you're apparently an expert on Vandervoort, let me know what makes you think he's the next Fantuz...?

Exactly the opposite - I have no knowledge of any of these players beyond the casual rabid CFL fan which is why I'm not going to declare any high-ranking prospect as a bad pick at #1.

Y'know, that thing you keep doing - taking generic knowledge available on the internet and using it make bold intractable declarations about players.

No one had compared Vandervoort to Fantuz until you insisted on doing it; JBR used Fantuz to illustrate a point about drafting in general.

55 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Actually the only comment I'm making is that taking a CFL receiver first overall is basically a bad decision... even when it looks like a sure thing.

Bauman was a 'generational' receiver... In his draft year, he was clearly the best player.  900 yard season v. Vandervoort's 600 yard...

This year, there is no clear first overall but there are very good players - drafting OL, DL or MLB is a much safer bet.

Vandervoort at 6 is fine but if he's gone then likely one of your top prospects - Gray, Woods, Bladek, Mulumba, Ankou... is still there

Maybe I'm not seeing something in Vandervoort's stats - I'd love to be informed what sets him apart from the consensus top prospects.

You are making very strong statements with little to back them up, that's why people are taking you to task. I don't believe for a second that Bauman was a generational receiving prospect just because he put up lots of numbers and I don't believe that was the thought when he was drafted either. 

Here is what I suggest, the reason there are less home runs at receiver early in the draft is simply a case of GMs in the CFL preferring to allocate NI spaces along the lines and therefore disproportionately draft a high number of linemen early on. Simple positional preference as opposed to receivers being a bad choice to pick early. The simple fact is that GMs can go pick up a dozen american receivers who can probably play as well as a canadian one and just use a token NI guy to fill space but you can't really use a token guy on your offensive line. That doesn't diminish what a good Canadian receiver can do for you though. 

I ain't even pretending to know how good of a prospect Vandervoort is or isn't but if he's getting the buzz he is in terms of being a prospect then if a team feels he is a good choice at #1 I am not going to let a thing like usual positional picks and something as trivial as numbers make me think it was a bad pick up. There's more to judging prospects than their counting stats, always has been. 

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ankou is as much of a NFL prospect as anyone in the draft and playing a position that doesn't even exist in the CFL, the 330 lb nose tackle.  He'd need to shed a bunch of weight and he's likely to do the opposite for a shot in the NFL at nose.  I think he's going to fall into the 2nd or 3rd round.

The nose spot does exist in the cfl, it isnt the most popular atm right now how ever. Really with him I think you have to look long and hard at if you want to change your system to make use of him, and if he will be around / around long enough to be worth while. I really do like his talent though. But i think hes gone to the nfl for atleast a year or two to start. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Actually the only comment I'm making is that taking a CFL receiver first overall is basically a bad decision... even when it looks like a sure thing.B

Ummm no.  Actually, what you said was this: ' Vandervoort at #1 would go down as one of the worst picks of all time..."  That's a far cry from "basically a bad decision".  #alternativefacts

Edited by WBBFanWest

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

1. Ankou
2. Simonise
3. Mulumba
4. Vandervoort
5. Gray/Woods

So you're guessing the Bombers are targeting an ineligible receiver with their 2nd pick?  Please tell me more.

PS, people have been talking about Vandervoort for months.

On 11/18/2016 at 8:53 AM, bigg jay said:

That could be Danny Vandervoort out of McMaster.  He was ranked 4th overall in the initial draft rankings (3rd now I guess since the guy ahead of him has retired due to concussions).  He's 6'4, 205lbs, and has been compared to Andy Fantuz.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I have to laugh sometimes how people get hung up on height and weight of football players...    Especially since one of the 'clippings' that I was reading says he was 290lbs in Feb 2017...  

When was the last time you scouted Ankou?  Let me know how his last game went...  I'm really curious

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

So you're guessing the Bombers are targeting an ineligible receiver with their 2nd pick?  Please tell me more.

PS, people have been talking about Vandervoort for months.

On February 27th when I posted that, he was completely eligible and NO ONE was talking about picking Vandervoort before Simonise if he wasn't NFL bound...  but yah, now he's the next Fantuz and going to go first overall.  Good one.

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

On February 27th when I posted that, he was completely eligible and NO ONE was talking about picking Vandervoort before Simonise if he wasn't NFL bound...  but yah, now he's the next Fantuz and going to go first overall.  Good one.

I just quoted a post from November where I mentioned he was being compared to Fantuz.  I didnt make that up, it was already being talked about elsewhere.  This isn't new to anyone but you.

6 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wasn't comparing players directly, was responding to the idea that picking a receiver #1 is dumb.

There hasn't been anyone remotely as polished as Vandevoort in a draft since Fantuz.  Not just athletically, but as a receiver.  The only guys near them would be Coehoorn, and maybe Shawn Gore.  The rest in that time in terms of good receiver prospects have been just athletes that teams would have to teach how to play, basically like how a Simonise or Auclair would be in this draft.  Vandevoort will be one of the top NI receivers as a rookie.

Now you're claiming that Vandervoort is better than Lemar Durant...?  This guy's stock has skyrocketed since I said he'd be an awful first overall pick.

Oh wait, his ranking actually fell.  My bad, didn't check sources.

But there is for sure one scout has said he's like Fantuz... just like every receiver every year gets compared to either Fantuz or Clermont...

I'll keep an open mind for the combine.  

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I am going on the record as having never seen Vandervoort do anything.  And I still don't like him as #1 overall.  I don't know why and I have no reason to say this, whatsoever. 

Open your eyes, man.

FantuzFlakesCereal-22258.jpg

It may just be me but i feel like each year there is an antony auclair type prospect. A guy whose really a TE and doesnt fit with the pistol spread every team seems to run in the cfl. But as the talent and athletic ability improves with each passing year of the draft I wonder if/when some one is going to make a system change. 

A lot of teams in the pistol have wrs pitch in and block an end on some plays,  screen passes seem more common then the previous 5 or 6 years etc. 

For a team like us, the last few years our NI wr production has been soo low I cant imagine having a guy like auclair who could help  seal a dominant rusher on one end, pick up blitz etc would have been less valuable. Not to mention weve seen what guys like messam can do match up wise on lbers, and dbs in this league. But i have a fetish for odd ball systems. packages, and positions. 

Auclair probably gets a long hard look at the nfl. Out of this draft class Hes probably the highest risk pick. Between his fit in the cfl and nfl interest. It will be interesting to watch though.