CFL Combine

Mike

9 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

We can reduce the crapshoot by moving our draft even further back of the NFL camp .... to say 2 weeks before training camp/ rookie camp opens .... whoever signs by then has signed  .... AND THEN ... hold an additional draft of players who have been drafted or signed to a tryout, thus fairly distributing those rights ... a lot of the agonizing decisions will disappear

The only problem with that is that a team like Calgary (stacked with Cdns)will take a flyer on a top rated Cdn who may not end up here in a later round if there is an additional draft. But these are definitely steps in the right direction.

42 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Hmmm when your required to have a minimum number of Cdns on your team I think your still have to play them no? Just opens up where they have to play to give teams more flexibility. Any way somethings gonna have to  give because the CFL draft is killing teams chances for a fair rebuild when there is so much uncertainty over whether a top Cdn will ever play in the CFL. It's become a total crapshoot. And even if he ends up here  in 2 or 3 years you lose the really good ones to free agency....

What has to give? Nothing has to give.

23 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Doesn't sound like he was the one scouting, just giving his take based on what actual scouts have said.

But I do agree that there's not much else there... I'd love to hear why he has Vandervoort ranked that low or why Antony Auclair is not ranked at all.

he went by position and didnt list TE i guess. 

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

The only problem with that is that a team like Calgary (stacked with Cdns)will take a flyer on a top rated Cdn who may not end up here in a later round if there is an additional draft. But these are definitely steps in the right direction.

AND there is no need to sign our Cdn draft picks until camp is over and they have made the club .... you can sign them before or after camp

17 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

AND there is no need to sign our Cdn draft picks until camp is over and they have made the club .... you can sign them before or after camp

Ummmm, you don't have unsigned players at camp.  Sort of the whole point is to draft players, sign them and then they are part of the team.  

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What has to give? Nothing has to give.

Well let's see...you have a league that doesnt make a bunch paying out more for players who are guaranteed positions and a much smaller pool to draw from ...it's not rocket surgery...?

6 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Well let's see...you have a league that doesnt make a bunch paying out more for players who are guaranteed positions and a much smaller pool to draw from ...it's not rocket surgery...?

You either have Canadian starters or no Canadians at all.  If you have no mandated starters you have 21 Canadian backup/special teams players and Americans going directly from the PR to starting rather than the Canadian backups becoming starters.  Makes no sense.

Imagine what would happen at the CIS level if you took away starting jobs for Canadians in the CFL. Imagine how hard it would be to recruit with the lack of incentive. Even farther down...if you look at minor ball and stuff.....can you imagine the drop in enrollment if kids didn't have Canadian pros to look up to?

39 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Imagine what would happen at the CIS level if you took away starting jobs for Canadians in the CFL. Imagine how hard it would be to recruit with the lack of incentive. Even farther down...if you look at minor ball and stuff.....can you imagine the drop in enrollment if kids didn't have Canadian pros to look up to?

This would be my biggest concern about making significant ratios changes (which BTW, I think is a topic for discussion that is not even in the room, let alone on the table)... I would hate to see football in Canada at the grassroots level start to disappear...

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

That was my thought as well but I would have just thrown him in with the other receivers.

its either a list of the best guys at the college level not taking into consideration potential, a bad list, or some real top secret level knowledge no one else is privy too. A head scratcher for sure. 

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/03/20/surviving-the-combine/

Some neat stuff here...Tait joined by Sukh, Couture and Loffler...

That was a really good read. 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

This would be my biggest concern about making significant ratios changes (which BTW, I think is a topic for discussion that is not even in the room, let alone on the table)... I would hate to see football in Canada at the grassroots level start to disappear...

Well it's related to the draft and the difficulty teams are having tracking which top Cdn will even dress in the CFL....and the price they pay when they do...if you read Walter's article this is not going away.How you fix it without some type of  change in ratio flexibility is the question. Hopefully most posters are right and this isn't a big problem. 

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

Well it's related to the draft and the difficulty teams are having tracking which top Cdn will even dress in the CFL....and the price they pay when they do...if you read Walter's article this is not going away.How you fix it without some type of  change in ratio flexibility is the question. Hopefully most posters are right and this isn't a big problem. 

The level of play and athleticism of NIs today is far better then it was 10+ years ago. The talent available is better then ever, especially in the draft. Not to mention the gap between back ups to ni starters is closer then ever. 

38 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Well it's related to the draft and the difficulty teams are having tracking which top Cdn will even dress in the CFL.

So, once again, the entire first two rounds* of the 2016 CFL draft...

On 3/2/2017 at 1:00 AM, mbrg said:

Josiah St. John - plays for the Riders

Philip Gagnon - plays for the Allouettes

Brandon Revenberg - plays for the Ticats

Brian Jones - plays for the Argos

Charles Vaillancourt - plays for the Lions

Alex Singleton - plays for the Stamps

Jason Lauzon-Seguin - plays for the redblacks

Tevaun Smith - drafted by Edmonton, signed by the Colts, cut and moved to PR, since released and re-signed with Colts to a futures contract

Trent Corney - plays for the Bombers

Micheal Couture - plays for the Bombers

Wayne Moore - plays for the Allouettes

Anthony Thompson - plays for the Lions

DJ Sackey - plays for the Argos

Mercer Timmis - plays for the Ticats

Juwan Brescacin - plays for the Stamps

Mikael Charland - plays for the redblacks

Arjen Colquhoun - drafted by Edmonton, signed by Cowboys, injured and released.  Not sure where he is.  Best guess is he'll re-sign with Dallas for another crack when healthy.

...this problem is not real.

*there is an argument that Garrett Waggoner could be included in that list, which would add yet another player playing for the team that drafted him

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

*there is an argument that Garrett Waggoner could be included in that list, which would add yet another player playing for the team that drafted him

OK once again read what Walter's has stated....how many player fell in the draft because teams were not sure if they would come to the CFL...how many were drafted later on as a throw away. This is not made up despite your repeated head in the sand stats.

5 hours ago, bb1 said:

I guess Canadians are such a negative for you that you should just watch the NFL. What you are proposing will never happen. So quit worrying about it. The CFL has more other pressing issues than worrying about how many Canadians start.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, mbrg said:

I am curious from this how many highly rated Cdn's were not drafted because they appeared to be NFL bound

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess Canadians are such a negative for you that you should just watch the NFL. What you are proposing will never happen. So quit worrying about it. The CFL has more other pressing issues than worrying about how many Canadians start.

That makes things hard to predict. You can do all your research… that’s the tough part of our draft. Not only are you evaluating whether they are good enough to play in our league, you are also then evaluating whether they are going to come, what their interest is, and when are you going to see them.

“You see it all the time where you draft a kid and he never plays a down for you.”  Direct quote from Kyle Walter's. Yes it's all made up....

8 minutes ago, bb1 said:

That makes things hard to predict. You can do all your research… that’s the tough part of our draft. Not only are you evaluating whether they are good enough to play in our league, you are also then evaluating whether they are going to come, what their interest is, and when are you going to see them.

“You see it all the time where you draft a kid and he never plays a down for you.”  Direct quote from Kyle Walter's. Yes it's all made up....

This isn't even a discussion that's on the table. Fret all you want. Nothing will change as there is absolutely no interest in taking away the 7 starting Canadian spots. There will always be Canadians starting. If kids get a chance to go to the NFL that is a good thing. It means the level of play of Canadians are improving which makes the game better. This is a non starter.

Edited by SpeedFlex27