CFL Combine

Mike

I'm fine with our starting OL and having Neufeld, Couture, and Foketi as depth is actually quite good.  Now add in Zachary Intzandt and a first round pick and the OL is looking far better than I can remember in the last decade.... maybe more.  Maybe not enough room to keep Neufeld around though.

Edited by Atomic

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

Dunk's article about prospects... http://3downnation.com/2017/03/20/2017-cfl-draft-prospect-rankings/

If you exclude Senior, Auclair and Ankou who are likely NFL bound, you still have...

4-6 OL, 2-3 LBs, 3 REC, 4-5 DL, 2-3 DB...  

that's a decent number of prospects even if you don't include off the board pick

number of prospects doesnt equate to quality of prospects. You could cut out the top 20 guys and youd still have a top 10 list. Itd be the guys 20-30.  Again that listing is dubious at best, and seems to go by position. Mason woods imop has a strong chance of being in an nfl camp as well.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Now I'm not saying this is a good idea... but I guess this would be the theory behind it... We trade Bryant to Montreal for Foucault... Foketi slides into his natural LT spot, Foucault starts at RT and Hardrick is the odd man out (PR if he accepts)... that would likely leave Couture as the 6th man...

Again, I'm not saying this is a good idea, or we should make this trade... but if there were rumblings, this is how I think it would go down... of course, the biggest problem with all this is we have no idea if Foucault is a CFL caliber starting tackle...  

That would seem to be the logic, but it sounds more and more like focault to bc is the move. Which is a very good deal for both teams. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

number of prospects doesnt equate to quality of prospects. You could cut out the top 20 guys and youd still have a top 10 list. Itd be the guys 20-30.  Again that listing is dubious at best, and seems to go by position. Mason woods imop has a strong chance of being in an nfl camp as well.

That would seem to be the logic, but it sounds more and more like focault to bc is the move. Which is a very good deal for both teams. 

There's a big difference between signing a deal and just going to camp.  The top 20-ish guys were in an NFL mini-camp last year but only 4 actually signed NFL deals if I recall correctly.  I'm not worried about a guy going to mini-camp, even if maybe 1-5% of them do end up getting deals.  I'm willing to take that small risk.

45 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

Here's Dunk's mock draft.

Interesting that he has the Bombers selecting Faith Ekakitie first overall. I don't think I've heard his name mentioned once. I guess I'll have to read up on this guy.

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/24/justin-dunks-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/

Ekakitie is getting some NFL interest too...

No way we get through the first round without a receiver or two being picked... unless the talent really is not there this year...

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

There's a big difference between signing a deal and just going to camp.  The top 20-ish guys were in an NFL mini-camp last year but only 4 actually signed NFL deals if I recall correctly.  I'm not worried about a guy going to mini-camp, even if maybe 1-5% of them do end up getting deals.  I'm willing to take that small risk.

not being in camp for your rookie season in the cfl is massive. 

48 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ekakitie is getting some NFL interest too...

No way we get through the first round without a receiver or two being picked... unless the talent really is not there this year...

yeah i cant see vandervoort falling below hammy either. Little on the stamps, or ott. I also cant see us going gray over mulumba at 6, or herdman, vandervoort maybe even auclair. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

not being in camp for your rookie season in the cfl is massive. 

yeah i cant see vandervoort falling below hammy either. Little on the stamps, or ott. I also cant see us going gray over mulumba at 6, or herdman, vandervoort maybe even auclair. 

Yeah but all those guys were in camp.  Addison Richards and Taylor Loffler for example were in Giants mini-camp then bombers training camp.

Behar getting a lot more buzz than Vandervoort...  

Interested in seeing results for Behar, Bladek, Gosselin, Hamlin, McGough, Okafor

Want Herdman to perform - but just not quite well enough for NFL...

Malcolm Carter might be a bombers 3rd round pick...?  Really getting noticed for his size.

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yeah but all those guys were in camp.  Addison Richards and Taylor Loffler for example were in Giants mini-camp then bombers training camp.

mini camp isnt the same as a camp invite. And not projected to get much interest. 

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Behar getting a lot more buzz than Vandervoort...  

Interested in seeing results for Behar, Bladek, Gosselin, Hamlin, McGough, Okafor

Want Herdman to perform - but just not quite well enough for NFL...

Malcolm Carter might be a bombers 3rd round pick...?  Really getting noticed for his size.

so far at the combine behar has gone from a listed 6'2, to a shade over 5'11 and put up a meager 31" vert and 9'4 broad jump. A bad 40 time (which those would project) could push him down pretty low.  Dont think any chance he gets taken over vandervoort even if vandervoort signs. 

Carter is crushing right now. 6'6, 40" vert 10'5.25 broad jump :blink: A good 40 time could get him nfl interest on measurables alone. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

so far at the combine behar has gone from a listed 6'2, to a shade over 5'11 and put up a meager 31" vert and 9'4 broad jump. A bad 40 time (which those would project) could push him down pretty low.  Dont think any chance he gets taken over vandervoort even if vandervoort signs. 

Carter is crushing right now. 6'6, 40" vert 10'5.25 broad jump :blink: A good 40 time could get him nfl interest on measurables alone. 

All three top REC - Picton,Vand, Behar - looking very average...  

Zver might have a big combine...  Litre appears to be only RB standing out

Woodson and Wright are going to be high picks, top 15 for sure

Just now, Floyd said:

All three top REC - Picton,Vand, Behar - looking very average...  

Zver might have a big combine...  Litre appears to be only RB standing out

Woodson and Wright are going to be high picks, top 15 for sure

when linemen are out jumping you, its not a good sign. shade over 30" from zver is pretty impressive. Reminds me of a few years back we had an imp ol that would run past skill position guys in the sprints. Didnt stick long tho iirc.

A few DL jumping really well. 

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Exactly.  I'd be shocked if more than 4 make it to a real NFL training camp this year.  And 4 players is nothing to make a big deal about.

senior, auclair, ankou, woods, and ekakitie i could all see in full tc. so id say 4 is probably around right. Some one gets hurt, decides they dont want to be soo far from home, nfl draft/fa falls a certain way it could easily be + or - 2. 5, even 4 kinda sucks when you have the first pick. 

Im trying to keep my expectations down for this draft class. One of a wr that can produce a bit more then weve seen out of the ni spot the last couple years, or a LB that can rotate / play good teams this year out of the top 2 would be nice. 

Didn't realize Carter had a 18 yard rec average...  his 40 should be interesting...

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

when linemen are out jumping you, its not a good sign. shade over 30" from zver is pretty impressive. Reminds me of a few years back we had an imp ol that would run past skill position guys in the sprints. Didnt stick long tho iirc.

Difference is that Zver is 300lbs...  you'd expect results like that from a 270lb fringe OL - might force his way into first round

Herdman's broad and vert are pretty 'meh'...  must still be injured(?)

Muamba's numbers for reference:

40: 4.72 
Shuttle: 4.13 sec 
3 cone: 6.72 sec 
Bench: 25 reps 
Vertical: 35'5" 
Broad: 10'5"

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Wonder how far Boateng drops when teams find out he's barely a shade over 6 feet tall as a rush end. I wouldn't draft him anywhere in the first two rounds myself and his height measurement just goes to further my opinion.

You were the first to mention Ekakitie this off-season...  is there a chance the Bombers pick him first overall?

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

Wonder how far Boateng drops when teams find out he's barely a shade over 6 feet tall as a rush end. I wouldn't draft him anywhere in the first two rounds myself and his height measurement just goes to further my opinion.

CIS defensive linemen tend not to be very good high picks in general.  I can't recall ever seeing a CIS defensive lineman get drafted in the first couple rounds and have any kind of impact.

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

CIS defensive linemen tend not to be very good high picks in general.  I can't recall ever seeing a CIS defensive lineman get drafted in the first couple rounds and have any kind of impact.

Laing, Cappicotti, Smith, Turner...

1 hour ago, Mike said:

His vertical was all right, nothing special but at least showing decent explosion for a DE.  I think he's overrated at 6' or 6'5.

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

Two of which are not CIS linemen. Quinn Smith is not much of an impact player.

Junior Turner is probably the rare exception.

I thought Cappicotti was... oh well.  

Would have been nice to see you answer my question about Ekakitie.

Just now, Floyd said:

I thought Cappicotti was... oh well.  

Would have been nice to see you answer my question about Ekakitie.

Didn't even notice it.

Not sure about him. Wouldn't be my first pick at #1 but we'll see how he does at his pro day or whatever. Would be a surprise in my books if he went #1.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So basically, had to go back six years to find a highly-ranked CIS DL who has had any noticeable impact... and the best we can come up with is Junior Turner.  I think that supports my point more than disproves it.

Now I feel really bad for Ameet Pall.