CFL Combine

Mike

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

Didn't realize Carter had a 18 yard rec average...  his 40 should be interesting...

Difference is that Zver is 300lbs...  you'd expect results like that from a 270lb fringe OL - might force his way into first round

Herdman's broad and vert are pretty 'meh'...  must still be injured(?)

Muamba's numbers for reference:

40: 4.72 
Shuttle: 4.13 sec 
3 cone: 6.72 sec 
Bench: 25 reps 
Vertical: 35'5" 
Broad: 10'5"

Yeah he'd be a toolsy type project. A better / coke free version of reaves. 

Exactly yeah, the wrs really didnt look great in numbers testing. And with those kind of leap numbers i dont see a better result coming with the 40. 

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Wonder how far Boateng drops when teams find out he's barely a shade over 6 feet tall as a rush end. I wouldn't draft him anywhere in the first two rounds myself and his height measurement just goes to further my opinion.

you think height at DE is that important? center of gravity with, how well they sink their hips, standing reach and vert are much more important imop. Im pretty un impressed with height in general to be fair. Seen guys like shelden williams out of duke (nba) who is listed 6'9 I think measured 6'8 or a shade under, and has a good 6 inch + of forehead going for him. While other guys like arland bruce  (totally apples and oranges here i get it) who made up for height with considerable reach (or rondo to keep the basketball comparison going) 

I do really like a DE who can disrupt passing lanes though. Like rahim abdullah with the esks, and all those pass knock downs at the line. Not saying how high or low boateng should go though. the cfl draft has got to be the least predictable in the world. The difference between some teams big boards and rankings is gigantic. 

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

CIS defensive linemen tend not to be very good high picks in general.  I can't recall ever seeing a CIS defensive lineman get drafted in the first couple rounds and have any kind of impact.

This is an interesting point.  I wonder if its a product of the surge in the last decade of talent in the draft, systems, or just guys with size and any football talent / athleticism being pushed to the OL. 

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/15/cfl-ca-provide-next-level-live-broadcast-2017-cfl-combine-presented-adidas/

Still coverage tnite of the bench, then tomorrow the 40, position and 1 on 1s.

On 3/21/2017 at 5:38 PM, bb1 said:

OK once again read what Walter's has stated....how many player fell in the draft because teams were not sure if they would come to the CFL...how many were drafted later on as a throw away. This is not made up despite your repeated head in the sand stats.

You were going on about how difficult this NFL factor makes it for GM's, and yet, 16 of the first 18 picks are playing for the team that drafted them in year 1.  That's 89% with zero wait time.  So it seems like GM's have a pretty good handle on it.

Those "head in the sand stats" were not stats at all.  They were 18 separate facts supporting an opinion.  Which fact do you feel is incorrect?

NFL interest is a consideration, no different that a player's injury history and their score on the bench press.  And probably much less meaningful than a player's injury history considering how incredibly few of these players stick in the NFL.

The NFL draft happens 10 days before the CFL draft, so GMs have pretty complete information on the level of interest the NFL has in a particular player.  If a player is taken in the first 3 or 4 rounds of the NFL draft, don't touch him.  If he's taken after that, you might want to take a late round flyer on him**.  Several will be signed as FA's in the week after the draft.  Very few of those will make their teams.  These are the only players where there is even the slightest mystery at all.

That is the situation where we lost Mulamba.  I doubt he makes the Packers if they don't have a rash of injuries at LB during his audition, not because he's not good enough, just because as an undrafted player he isn't considered as valuable an asset in the NFL.  That's just the way it is.  But fortune favoured him and enough guys ended up in sick bay that he got a real shot rather than just being fodder, and he made the most of it.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:08 PM, BigBlue said:

I am curious from this how many highly rated Cdn's were not drafted because they appeared to be NFL bound

Not very many.  Most teams have a pretty good idea on the level of interest.  Some choose to use their late round picks to take a flyer on these guys rather than just get another camp body who might play some special teams for three year.  It's spending very little on a lottery ticket.  We did it with Bilukidi.  4th rounder(?) for him I think.  Other guys like this include David Onyemata, Christian Covington and Vaughn Martin.  No one used a high draft pick on these guys, because the NFL interest was obvious and predictable.

** Martin was drafted in the 5th round by Montreal after being drafted in the 4th round by San Diego (different years), a pretty good example of the idea mentioned above.

Israel Idonije was drafted in the 2nd round by the Renegades.  That would have been a hard one to predict as the scouting was much less than it is today.  He just sent tapes out to NFL teams until he finally got a shot.

Orlando Franklin wasn't drafted at all.  He was simply an NFL bound player who happened to have NI eligibility because of the ever-changing NI rules.  No one used a draft pick at all on him, because the NFL interest was obvious and predictable.

There are examples of players that teams have gotten burned (pun possibilities upcoming) on, but there are usually factors beyond just NFL interest.  The BC Lions oddly chose to draft Danny Watkins in the first round even though the Eagles had used their first round pick on him.  I guess they figured he wouldn't make it, and in a way it turns out they were right.  He quit football entirely and focused on his true love, firefighting.

5 hours ago, Atomic said:

Exactly.  I'd be shocked if more than 4 make it to a real NFL training camp this year.  And 4 players is nothing to make a big deal about.

Absolutely, and yet for whatever reason, the sky falleth for some.

6 hours ago, mbrg said:

You were going on about how difficult this NFL factor makes it for GM's, and yet, 16 of the first 18 picks are playing for the team that drafted them in year 1.  That's 89% with zero wait time.  So it seems like GM's have a pretty good handle on it.

Those "head in the sand stats" were not stats at all.  They were 18 separate facts supporting an opinion.  Which fact do you feel is incorrect?

NFL interest is a consideration, no different that a player's injury history and their score on the bench press.  And probably much less meaningful than a player's injury history considering how incredibly few of these players stick in the NFL.

The NFL draft happens 10 days before the CFL draft, so GMs have pretty complete information on the level of interest the NFL has in a particular player.  If a player is taken in the first 3 or 4 rounds of the NFL draft, don't touch him.  If he's taken after that, you might want to take a late round flyer on him**.  Several will be signed as FA's in the week after the draft.  Very few of those will make their teams.  These are the only players where there is even the slightest mystery at all.

That is the situation where we lost Mulamba.  I doubt he makes the Packers if they don't have a rash of injuries at LB during his audition, not because he's not good enough, just because as an undrafted player he isn't considered as valuable an asset in the NFL.  That's just the way it is.  But fortune favoured him and enough guys ended up in sick bay that he got a real shot rather than just being fodder, and he made the most of it.

Not very many.  Most teams have a pretty good idea on the level of interest.  Some choose to use their late round picks to take a flyer on these guys rather than just get another camp body who might play some special teams for three year.  It's spending very little on a lottery ticket.  We did it with Bilukidi.  4th rounder(?) for him I think.  Other guys like this include David Onyemata, Christian Covington and Vaughn Martin.  No one used a high draft pick on these guys, because the NFL interest was obvious and predictable.

** Martin was drafted in the 5th round by Montreal after being drafted in the 4th round by San Diego (different years), a pretty good example of the idea mentioned above.

Israel Idonije was drafted in the 2nd round by the Renegades.  That would have been a hard one to predict as the scouting was much less than it is today.  He just sent tapes out to NFL teams until he finally got a shot.

Orlando Franklin wasn't drafted at all.  He was simply an NFL bound player who happened to have NI eligibility because of the ever-changing NI rules.  No one used a draft pick at all on him, because the NFL interest was obvious and predictable.

There are examples of players that teams have gotten burned (pun possibilities upcoming) on, but there are usually factors beyond just NFL interest.  The BC Lions oddly chose to draft Danny Watkins in the first round even though the Eagles had used their first round pick on him.  I guess they figured he wouldn't make it, and in a way it turns out they were right.  He quit football entirely and focused on his true love, firefighting.

Absolutely, and yet for whatever reason, the sky falleth for 

6 hours ago, mbrg said:

Absolutely, and yet for whatever reason, the sky falleth for some.

You know you have a hell of a time reading between the lines...Walter's has stated how tough the draft has become.Yes players have shaken lose but how many teams passed over players because they weren't sure,only to be picked by a team that could afford to waste a pick....the facts no matter how you twist it  is that a huge component of where a player is drafted is based on if a player can stick in the NFL. 

14 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

I don't believe Boateng is on the Bomber's radar, I read today that they didn't interview him.

Boateng is a DE.  I don't think it's a priority for us since we have Westerman and Corney on one side and we use import on the other side. Arguably, DT is a must but the Bombers brass feels they have a good ones with Thomas & Butcher. 

I think the Bombers will end up with Mason Wood or Dariusz Bladek with the #1. OL is always a safe pick and seems that those 2 OT-prospects are more likely CFL-bound than NFL-bound. 

4 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Boateng is a DE.  I don't think it's a priority for us since we have Westerman and Corney on one side and we use import on the other side. Arguably, DT is a must but the Bombers brass feels they have a good ones with Thomas & Butcher. 

I think the Bombers will end up with Mason Wood or Dariusz Bladek with the #1. OL is always a safe pick and seems that those 2 OT-prospects are more likely CFL-bound than NFL-bound. 

Boateng could be (and should be) converted to a LB. 

21 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ankou was pretty much a lock at first overall until those pro day results... can't see it now - he's going to get drafted.

the info I got is from someone within the organization so I believe him, in any case if Walters and osh were looking at a DT I get the feeling it's for depth behind Thomas and Butchers not quite there yet. 

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

the info I got is from someone within the organization so I believe him, in any case if Walters and osh were looking at a DT I get the feeling it's for depth behind Thomas and Butchers not quite there yet. 

I totally agree... just saying it sure looks like he'll be drafted by an NFL team.  Can't see picking a guy first overall who'll likely never show up...

Combine coverage was great...

No change in top guys... Behar, Vandevoort, Wright, Woodson

Hoover, Carter, Larensse probably upped their stock

I also liked Malcolm Carter in the one on one's. Not at 6, but as a later/developmental pick. Didn't think the Herdman's looked very good. I thought Gosselin and Alexander stood out in a good way as well as Woodson and Wright.

Edited by TBURGESS
+

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I also liked Malcolm Carter in the one on one's. Not at 6, but as a later/developmental pick. Didn't think the Herdman's looked very good.

No idea how far teams will go for his athletic ability and size but it will be interesting to see thats for sure. 

Now that the combine numbers are in how about a top 10 board? Not gonna go into whose going to the nfl and whose not, team needs etc. Just the best prospects available this year.