CFL Combine

Mike

Well .. the Combine list of participants is out. Pretty weak showing, to be honest. Lots of top prospects not attending.

NOT ATTENDING: Auclair, Senior, Gray, Herdman, Ankou, Ekakitie, Simonise ... that's all of the top 5 prospects, as well as a handful of other ones.

Notables that ARE attending ... Alex Singleton's brother is coming, I'm curious to see how he does. Bladek, Mulumba, Luke, Woods, Boateng

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/09/rosters-set-cfl-reveals-list-2017-combine-participants/

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Just because they don't show doesn't mean we don't pick them.

No of course not. But a good chunk off the top of this class couple be in camp in the NFL this year. 

The big loss in not having the top guys at the combine isnt the loss of scouting them, but how they stack up to other guys. Like rupert butcher last year tearing through every one in 1on1s. 

18 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The big loss in not having the top guys at the combine isnt the loss of scouting them, but how they stack up to other guys. Like rupert butcher last year tearing through every one in 1on1s. 

That is the biggest loss.  But like JBR said, this will increase exposure for some of the other guys who might not have gotten it.

There is a lot of tape out there on the top guys.  The GMs will still be able to look at how they handled their 300 or so in-game battles from last season and have a pretty good idea of how they stack up.

So it's a thin enough draft class, and many of the gooders are going to be looking south?  While I still think the Willy trade was dumb on Baker/Milanovich's part, maybe montreal and toronto had a better grasp of just what (or lack there of) this 2017 draft would produce at the time they were firing off draft picks for assets they wanted

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

So it's a thin enough draft class, and many of the gooders are going to be looking south?  While I still think the Willy trade was dumb on Baker/Milanovich's part, maybe montreal and toronto had a better grasp of just what (or lack there of) this 2017 draft would produce at the time they were firing off draft picks for assets they wanted

Wouldn't that make the higher picks more valuable relatively?  I think they were just that desperate, and that's kind of confirmed considering both of the guys who made those deals are unemployed.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wouldn't that make the higher picks more valuable relatively?  I think they were just that desperate, and that's kind of confirmed considering both of the guys who made those deals are unemployed.

could be, but if they felt even with a high draft your not going to get much,  then FA might be the better route to shore up any NI holes and acquire what they wanted at the time.  If it was a deep draft then I would think the more picks you have the better. but I guess we will see how the draft goes

First round will still be very good...  second as well... 

Herdman, Bladek, Woods and Ekakitie will all force their way into first round consideration

I'd still like to see Gray or Bladek as our first overall... then best DL or Herdman at 5th

Then BPA with our 2nd round pick regardless of NFL options

I agree with Taunted, if the draft is poor it might have been wise for them to make the move they made.  It doesn't make it any worse for Winnipeg, because well we got TJ Heath and a Draft pick while giving up a player we honestly no longer wanted.  It just means that perhaps Montreal didn't get burnt as hard as people initially thought, nothing wrong with that idea it was still a great trade for Winnipeg.

The nice thing is we could pick a future with one of our first rounders because of this trade, and this years draft choices the futures might be the only picks worth choosing.

26 minutes ago, Tehedra said:

I agree with Taunted, if the draft is poor it might have been wise for them to make the move they made.  It doesn't make it any worse for Winnipeg, because well we got TJ Heath and a Draft pick while giving up a player we honestly no longer wanted.  It just means that perhaps Montreal didn't get burnt as hard as people initially thought, nothing wrong with that idea it was still a great trade for Winnipeg.

The nice thing is we could pick a future with one of our first rounders because of this trade, and this years draft choices the futures might be the only picks worth choosing.

Now you're just making fun of Taynted.....