CFL Combine

Mike

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Taking an OL in the first round is always the right decision.

Don't agree. It is if you have an offensive line that blows like we had until last season. We have needs at other positions that must be addressed more than just continually drafting OL. Thank God we've gone past those dark days of a few years ago.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd be very happy if we drafted Vandevoort #1 as we really need to upgrade our Canadian receivers. If we knew Gray was CFL bound then he'd be a great selection as well. However, we really need to get better at receiver first. I think that should be Walters first priority.

If we're not changing how we deploy our ratio, receiver is the place where we're falling shortest.  DT comes next.

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't agree. It is if you have an offensive line that blows like we had until last season. We have needs at other positions that must be addressed more than just continually drafting OL. Thank God we've gone past those dark days of a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. 

I don't see OL being as big a necessity as in years past. Bryant/Bond/Goosen/Chungh/Hardrick with Couture as #6 was as good of a line as I've seen in years.  If we are dead sent on taking an OL in the first round, I think it would be smarter to use #6 on it.  If there's a player who looks like they are able to start right away in an area we can upgrade in (Vandevoort for example) that's the better play with the #1 imo.  

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I don't think starting a potentially-good NI Rec is as imperative as you do. There's other ways to make the ratio work... 

It's pretty much a necessity if you are starting 3 imports on the OL, and either way you need a guy who can play significant snaps to spell Harris, rotate with a DI, and potentially take that spot on offense if Harris is out long-term.  Committing to start 4 on D really hampers flexibility.

24 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's pretty much a necessity if you are starting 3 imports on the OL, and either way you need a guy who can play significant snaps to spell Harris, rotate with a DI, and potentially take that spot on offense if Harris is out long-term.  Committing to start 4 on D really hampers flexibility.

My point being, starting JFG or whoever, is just fine, for now..... (not suggesting all IMP Rec corps) 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

My point being, starting JFG or whoever, is just fine, for now..... (not suggesting all IMP Rec corps) 

I agree with this. It's not like our O is set up to concentrate on our NI receivers. If we get an amazing NI receiver, we'll still be using 4 imports recs. on O. It would be nice to have that flexibility of more NIs as receivers and I think they're working towards that. It really depends on what position they are targeting, especially on D.

2D and 1 O player in the first 3 picks?

There s so much to consider as each domino falls in the players that are taken in the meantime. The only sure pick is the one they finally decide on with their first pick. In some ways, this is the toughest pick of them all...

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

I agree with this. It's not like our O is set up to concentrate on our NI receivers.

The flip side of this is we can't make our NI receivers a bigger factor because we don't have the talent.  I love JFG but he's not at the same level as a Fantuz so we're not going to make him a focal point of the offense.

14 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I am guessing is if he does not have a NFL contract by the draft he will be the pick.

I'm starting to think that way too... luckily by time the draft rolls around, we'll have a pretty good idea of Gray's status... if he's a late round draft pick and gets a signing bonus, he won't be in the CFL for at least 3 years...

10 hours ago, bigg jay said:

The flip side of this is we can't make our NI receivers a bigger factor because we don't have the talent.  I love JFG but he's not at the same level as a Fantuz so we're not going to make him a focal point of the offense.

good or better offensive players, especially wrs make them self a part of the offense. Even if you are running the wrong side of the hot route on a rub pattern for instance, (setting the not a pick) you still have a chance to make a play depending on coverage and what the defense does. 

Its not like plop tells nichols, "hey dont pass to the ni guys, just the imps". Or like nichols would do that. Sure our system isnt set up for a stoddard esq under guy to eat up cushion  and make plays under other guys patterns. Our whole passing offense is planned around 15 yards or so from the line. The guy running deep is more of a distraction then any thing. That means we need a NI wr to have the ability to get open and make a play. 

Ottawa using soo many pass catchers is what has made them successful. You cant float on one guy and cheat towards another. If you try to use vice cover with the saftey and a db you have no help on all the other guys. We dont have a top flight wr right now. But we have a bunch of solid imps. Imop we need a solid ni that fits the system to round it out. Not to mention you cant just accept going into camp with a wasted roster spot like we had last year. That would be like aiming to fail. 

There was a short bit of talk on the forums last year about running all imp at wr. Its some thing i like a great deal in theory. But due to health of our wrs/ how hard it is to stay healthy in football especially for 18 games, plus that we dont have much offensive NI versatility or the imp wrs to DI and rotate I dont think we are close to a position to do that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Add this name to your CFL Draft board: Randy Colling

26 years old.

Been in the Arena Football League for a few years after playing NCAA D2 (former defensive lineman of the year finalist there) and while I have no idea how he's going to rate on the overall draft board, he's exactly what WE need (a big defensive tackle) ... not sure what his current size is, but he was 320 in college.

Big time player in Arena Football too, he was on the All-Arena team so he's not exactly unestablished. Could be fairly pro ready.

If I had to guess, I'd say he potentially just entered the first round picture.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Add this name to your CFL Draft board: Randy Colling

26 years old.

Been in the Arena Football League for a few years after playing NCAA D2 (former defensive lineman of the year finalist there) and while I have no idea how he's going to rate on the overall draft board, he's exactly what WE need (a big defensive tackle) ... not sure what his current size is, but he was 320 in college.

Big time player in Arena Football too, he was on the All-Arena team so he's not exactly unestablished. Could be fairly pro ready.

If I had to guess, I'd say he potentially just entered the first round picture.

shared some stuff on him in the draft thread watching his video, he looks like a HS senior playing pop warner. going to be interesting to see what comes of him. 

He seems listed as 6'5 320 in both the afl and his stint with the giants.