Free Agency Frenzy

BigBlue

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

I know what it sounds like... but I think he wants a DT and knows the market is saturated - he's sounding more Buono these days... less post-Mack desperate.

Here's my predictions:

LaFrance and Westerman - Day 1 signings, maybe already inked

Two of:  Nevis, Elsworth, Omara, Minter, Cummings (feel like he might test the waters and come back)

Denmark signs in Montreal, Bass in BC, Kohlert to Calgary

-If I remember correctly...Durant and Denmark weren't exactly a lethal combo in Regina last year. Would probably be the best option for him though as both the Als and Argos need to restock at receiver.

-Id like to see the Bombers try to trade Ryan Smith to either the Als or Argos for another pick as it would open the door for a biggger and cheaper Sheppard and allow the club to spend a bit more on FA/ or re-sign Chung a bit earlier.

-I'm hoping Westerman doesn't sign with Saskatchewan as I have a feeling both may end up playing for the Riders in 2018.

1 minute ago, tracker said:

Getting back to an old theme, if/when Hurl and Neufeld are released, that changes the cap picture.

Hurl for sure. Neufeld might be staying and he's not a pendin free-agent. Unless of course Bombers will pickup someone like McMillan, Federkeil or Perrett - all tackles - which might not be in the offing. 

14 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

IMO Walters has way less cap space than every other year he's been here. He had to renegotiate both Medlock and Bryant's salaries last year, effectively putting some of their salaries into this years SMS instead of last years. You don't do that if you have any SMS space left. He has always signed players to extensions to use up the last of the SMS space until last  year. Another indication that he hasn't got a lot of SMS space available. Because he didn't sign players to extensions using last year's SMS, all the extensions come out of this years SMS. 

technically that's a guess, not an opinion ;).... but yes, I agree, it appears we have less room to spend this year... which is a good thing b/c that means we have less holes and problems to fill... I still hope to see a couple additions at LB and/or DT...

24 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Hurl for sure. Neufeld might be staying and he's not a pendin free-agent. Unless of course Bombers will pickup someone like McMillan, Federkeil or Perrett - all tackles - which might not be in the offing. 

I'm not sure any of these guys are tackles... I think McMillan has played exclusively at guard for Ott (unless they project him to play tackle) and rumour has it Federkeil and Perrett may be past their "best before" dates as tackles...

52 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Just as a note on Federkeil, I'd be shocked if he'd play for anyone other than Calgary.

In regards to Walters not being a big player, I still think our interpretation of "high end guys" compared to his may be a little different.

There are a few moves to be made. I see a guy like Nevis or even AM Cash as a possibility. Maybe Iannuzzi. Maybe LaFrance.

Looking at the FA class, you could really turnaround your team if you pick carefully and act aggressively.

Last year, the Bombers made the biggest splash and had the biggest impact on their roster. Harris and Medlock were worth every penny.

Saskatchewan has an opportunity to overhaul their roster within a couple of days.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

In regards to Walters not being a big player, I still think our interpretation of "high end guys" compared to his may be a little different.

There are a few moves to be made. I see a guy like Nevis or even AM Cash as a possibility. Maybe Iannuzzi. Maybe LaFrance.

this is a name that's kinda flown under the radar this off-season, but he's a guy I'd like to see in B/G.....I became a big fan of his a few years back when he had his breakout season and got me a pile of Fantaseh points. Ever since, I've kinda kept my eye on him and been a bit of a fan. Here's hoping...

17 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Not much left since he's already spent on Stafford and Okpalaugo and re-signed Nichols, Adams, Bryant, Medlock, Davis, Remple and Sheppard. I expect our DT's to be made up of Jake Thomas and a draft pick and a cheaper scouted guy. Knox seems to already be penciled in at MLB and JJ is just not needed.

Last year (last few years) we made aggressive offers to dramatically change our starting lineup.  This year we will be looking for depth and competition at camp.  Most of the offers won't be aggressive, they will be polite.  A lot of the depth and competition will come the scouting dept, not free agency.

You don't want expensive guys as backups and there aren't that many open #1 spots.  Finding Loffler was great.  Carrying Harris as his backup was manageable for a single season but not something you want to do often or at multiple positions.  The Bombers won't "win" free agency this year and our signings will be kind of boring.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I get the feeling that for Ianuzzi...it's Lions or retirement 

14 minutes ago, holoman said:

I get the feeling that for Ianuzzi...it's Lions or retirement 

Isn't Ianuzzi the guy that's a Harvard (Yale??) MBA or something? I seem to remember people questioning his desire to play CFL football when he could be making millions doing whatever with his education...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Isn't Ianuzzi the guy that's a Harvard (Yale??) MBA or something? I seem to remember people questioning his desire to play CFL football when he could be making millions doing whatever with his education...

He's a Harvard business grad, don't remember about the MBA part.  The window to play professional sports is short; going to an office for the next 30 years will always be available to him.  I could see him sticking with the CFL for a few more years just because he can.

5 hours ago, tracker said:

Getting back to an old theme, if/when Hurl and Neufeld are released, that changes the cap picture.

not to mention if they would move on from smith. Dressler and adams + denmark is cheaper and better then with smith. I wouldnt be against bringing him back at a more appropriate price.

If the Blue were to make a big signing, like say Venerable at   MLB, who could we release to make room (assuming we are tight cap wise)?

Ryan Smith, Weston Dressler, Stanley Bryant, a DB, a non sign of a vet QB .... I don't see where the $$$ would come from

Edited by BigBlue