Free Agency Frenzy

BigBlue

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

According to Friesen other then the Denmark offer Walters is done.

Paul Friesen ‏@friesensunmedia 23m23 minutes ago
#Bombers GM Kyle Walters says he's not actively pursuing any other free agents; has a standing offer still on table for Clarence Denmark.

Edit:

I should have known better, if you listen to Walters press conference today Friesen completely twists Walters words, in fact Walters states "that we're not done" and he has offers that are still out there.

Here is the full interview, the Friesen bit starts around 1:20.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/15/gm-kyle-walters-post-free-agency-call/

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It should be, but they haven't released any details about that sort of thing. I honestly believe the league is burying its head in the sand and praying everyone will just sort of forget that it ever happened.

Commish is too sensitive. He's worried the people of Saskatchewan won't like him.

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

According to Friesen other than the Denmark offer Walters is done.

Paul Friesen ‏@friesensunmedia 23m23 minutes ago
#Bombers GM Kyle Walters says he's not actively pursuing any other free agents; has a standing offer still on table for Clarence Denmark.

After a few days of market cool down, the agents start calling the GMs.  That's value shopping.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Paul Friesen [email protected] 23m23 minutes ago

Edit:

I should have known better, if you listen to Walters press conference today Friesen completely twists Walters words, in fact Walters states "that we're not done" and he has offers that are still out there.

wow thats greasy. Walters holds the cards close to the chest he has to, but he is as straight a shooter as it gets in the front office.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

From what I read on riderfans... Owens is brought in to be the returner.   Surely they could find someone cheaper via the database?  

2 year deal also to boot?

How do people on Riderfans know this? They don't. None of them are best buddies with Jones and personally its all talk and chatter. Owens is there for a reason. My only possible guess is they plan on trading away Roosevelt, Collins, or Edwards.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

@MiltStegallTSN

I've been a free agent since 2009 and @sskroughriders just offered me a contract! Told me they're trying to sign all remaining #FreeAgents

That made me chuckle....wouldn't surprise me....

haha. Love milt. 

that interview with walters, he talks a bit about how calgary is never noisy come free agency and allways good. Seems like he is expecting more out of the scouts now. Talked about how they should be able to find guys who can run around and play teams and come in to compete at LBer. 

Looking back at last years camp we had some real stud prospect pass rushers. None of whom really panned out. But they certainly found talent and athleticism. Some guys just dont translate or have the motor etc. We keep bringing in crops of young guys like we did last year and we will move closer to cow town this year. And that is how  you win for a long period of time. We won the off season and had bad years plenty of times. But our turn arounds have largely had to do with the new guys we brought in from down south.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Paul Friesen [email protected] 23m23 minutes ago

Edit:

Yeah, Friesen is is quick to post anything with a negative Bomber slant to it.

I thought I saw a tweet from him earlier today that indicated Bass and Denmark were both gone as Bombers - he has since deleted it. 

7 hours ago, Kluchk said:

What are you talking about? National at DE? Shawn Lemon is American, Willie Jefferson was is American, AC Leonard is American, Jonathan Newsome is American.

Don't know where you got that we wanted to go National there???

Two words for your revisionist Rider history....Justin Capicciotti. 

2 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Yeah, Friesen is is quick to post anything with a negative Bomber slant to it.

I thought I saw a tweet from him earlier today that indicated Bass and Denmark were both gone as Bombers - he has since deleted it. 

The difference between the old guard in winnipeg sports media and the new is sickening. The thought of what it could look like in 10+ years when the good guys are gone is sad. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

It should be, but they haven't released any details about that sort of thing. I honestly believe the league is burying its head in the sand and praying everyone will just sort of forget that it ever happened.

It is but would be part of the audit results that are announced in April because it's SMS related.

I'm not sure why people think Orridge would try to bury this. There's no way the other teams would agree especially with the Riders track record with SMS violations.

Edited by Jacquie

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/15/certainly-wouldnt-say-done-gm-kyle-walters/

An interesting note: They had money set aside to sign Tony Burnett, but he told them he wasn't coming back and wanted to head west, so once that happened, they decided to put the money into Drake Nevis...

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/15/certainly-wouldnt-say-done-gm-kyle-walters/

An interesting note: They had money set aside to sign Tony Burnett, but he told them he wasn't coming back and wanted to head west, so once that happened, they decided to put the money into Drake Nevis...

I've had guys in Hamilton tell me that Drake Nevis was easily their best DL. I feel like that money would've never been better off going towards him than Burnett regardless of Burnett's intentions.

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I don't mind the fact that we're not going all out in FA. Teams in the past like the Stamps, Eskimoes, etc rarely go out and over pay. I've seen enough from the organization to trust the process, concentrate on the draft, and on scouting and pick up a few pieces as we go along. like T.O, Stafford, and Navis.

the downside.... no excitement during free-agency... boring :D

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Any chance the Bombers are in on Ernest Jackson? I know the team is stacked at receiver now, but you have to think that every team in the West is loaded with talent at receiver. The Lions receiving corp is very scary. 

Dressler, Jackson, Stafford, Adams would put them right up there too.