Free Agency Frenzy

BigBlue

The thing is, even at his best, Dough Alert was a forgotten guy in our offense. Used primarily as a blocker and decoy route, he was the last guy on the tree. I'm not sure that role will change a whole lot in Calgary, but I wish him nothing but success. Always seemed like a really good guy who worked hard and was all about the team....

15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Kolhert had some good years for us and last year not so much. Playing with BLM will help but I think he's behind Durant and Parker there.

That's exactly what I was think... I think they are ready for Durant for step up and be a regular contributor this year... meanwhile, Addison Richards selected 9 spots ahead of him will be.... anyways

I always liked Kohlert and thought he was a reliable guy... the only reason he leaves a bad taste in the mouth is b/c of those two huge volleyball style drops that led directly to ints...   

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

That's exactly what I was think... I think they are ready for Durant for step up and be a regular contributor this year... meanwhile, Addison Richards selected 9 spots ahead of him will be.... anyways

I always liked Kohlert and thought he was a reliable guy... the only reason he leaves a bad taste in the mouth is b/c of those two huge volleyball style drops that led directly to ints...   

I don't even mind the alligator arms that much....but the timing of those interceptions couldn't have been worse. Just awful in the clutch last year. Worst case scenario type of awful.

15 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I will tbh,  his "sure handedness" seemed to have escaped him last season paving the way for JFG.  Kohlerts biggest peak was in 2014 pulling in just shy of 600 yards, and has been declining since. He just turned 29 a littler over a month ago, so maybe he can reinvent himself for a season or 2, but I'd bet against it.  Nothing personal against the guy, but he lost his starting job for a reason

I totally agree about Kohlert but the point is that Calgary seems to find a way to revive guys' careers.  I still remember in 2011 when Marquay McDaniel got benched and then released from the Ticats.  How has that worked out?

47 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I totally agree about Kohlert but the point is that Calgary seems to find a way to revive guys' careers.  I still remember in 2011 when Marquay McDaniel got benched and then released from the Ticats.  How has that worked out?

Honestly, I'd say that's their only example. Bakari Grant didn't really do well, even losing out on starting for a good portion of the year.

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

I thought Messam was resurrected in Regina? I seem to remember some big games against us his year there.

You could make that argument but Sask also gave him away for a 3rd round pick and a kicker.  And now they signed a backup Cdn RB to a starter's contract while Messam thrives in Calgary.  Maybe you could put that one on Sask stupidity rather than anything special by Calgary.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

You could make that argument but Sask also gave him away for a 3rd round pick and a kicker.  And now they signed a backup Cdn RB to a starter's contract while Messam thrives in Calgary.  Maybe you could put that one on Sask stupidity rather than anything special by Calgary.

I think that had more to do with them wanting to get something for him, as they were out of the playoffs and he wasn't going to resign. SO he had a lot of value at that time. Was probably a good move by them actually.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think that had more to do with them wanting to get something for him, as they were out of the playoffs and he wasn't going to resign. SO he had a lot of value at that time. Was probably a good move by them actually.

You don't know he wasn't going to re-sign, that's speculation.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1232267

says the Argos and Riders are the losers in FA.  Queue the riots in the streets of regina. :D

I'm not a big fan of these "Winners and Losers" of FA because they always say who ever signs the most "wins".  I believe quality over quantity myself. I mean look at last year,  the bombers and Riders signed the most,  and were declared winners, and a lot of the players from both teams didn't pan out.

Right now for the riders I would say Dennis was a good signing,  but other then that they brought in 2 NI RBs who will undoubtedly get unseated by Cam Marshall devaluing those signings. Brouilette is a 31 year old with concussion history and IMO not much of an upgrade over Hecht who they are likely paying more for, Ryan White is basically Andrew Jones 2.0, and Chad owens who was such an unnecessary signing.  Winners my ass

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Very true, but the fact that it played out the way it did, suggests one or both of the parties wanted to move on.

In other words Saskatchewan didn't think he was worth the money he wanted.  Calgary disagreed and paid him.  Which is basically what I'm talking about here... Calgary acquiring guys that other teams "don't have room for"... but somehow the best team in the league does.

8 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

http://www.thescore.com/news/1232267

says the Argos and Riders are the losers in FA.  Queue the riots in the streets of regina. :D

I'm not a big fan of these "Winners and Losers" of FA because they always say who ever signs the most "wins".  I believe quality over quantity myself. I mean look at last year,  the bombers and Riders signed the most,  and were declared winners, and a lot of the players from both teams didn't pan out.

Right now for the riders I would say Dennis was a good signing,  but other then that they brought in 2 NI RBs who will undoubtedly get unseated by Cam Marshall devaluing those signings. Brouilette is a 31 year old with concussion history and IMO not much of an upgrade over Hecht who they are likely paying more for, Ryan White is basically Andrew Jones 2.0, and Chad owens who was such an unnecessary signing.  Winners my ass

That article says some weird things I don't totally understand:

Signing a talented offensive lineman in Dennis could ease the pain from 2016, but since he's classified as an international player, he'll eat up a big chunk of the salary cap.

:huh: huh?

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

That article says some weird things I don't totally understand:

:huh: huh?

yeah not the greatest worded article but I do always like when the riders are called losers, a reality check that needs nothing more said lol

I was going to to write up a big long ass comment last night to who ever does those winners and losers after 3 days of FA.  Honestly at this point I would actually say Montreal is in the lead. To be able to flip your ratio so quickly from over paid OL to an all or near all NI DL practically over night is pretty good.  Adding Jackson for DD is a pretty big signing in itself. 

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

In other words Saskatchewan didn't think he was worth the money he wanted.  Calgary disagreed and paid him.  Which is basically what I'm talking about here... Calgary acquiring guys that other teams "don't have room for"... but somehow the best team in the league does.

That's just speculation. But we can go in circles forever.

Either way, I don't really agree that CGY is a hot spot of guys turning their careers around.

13 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Caught just about every bad pass thrown at him. Now imagine him catching passes from BLM.

“Rory is an all-around receiver with good pass-catching ability and he’s a reliable blocker in the run game,” said Stampeders head coach Dave Dickenson.

?‍?Rory Kohlert always gave his best for the Blue and deserves to be remembered as a diehard Bomber Booster.

Let's not forget, Rory returned to the Bombers, after being selected by the RedBlacks in the expansion draft, when his contract expired in Feb. '14.