Free Agency Frenzy

BigBlue

59 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You could make that argument but Sask also gave him away for a 3rd round pick and a kicker.  And now they signed a backup Cdn RB to a starter's contract while Messam thrives in Calgary.  Maybe you could put that one on Sask stupidity rather than anything special by Calgary.

What a silly comment. Jerome was going into free agency the following year and there was no guarantee he would re-sign in Saskatchewan. Sask then got a draft pick and one hell of a young kicker (who has the potential to be a star kicker in the CFL). So frankly, it was a great trade. Having Messam would be nice yes, but as Winnipeg has found out several times, having a quality kicker is also important.

5 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

What a silly comment. Jerome was going into free agency the following year and there was no guarantee he would re-sign in Saskatchewan. Sask then got a draft pick and one hell of a young kicker (who has the potential to be a star kicker in the CFL). So frankly, it was a great trade. Having Messam would be nice yes, but as Winnipeg has found out several times, having a quality kicker is also important.

the hole left by messam still hasn't been filled/recovered. I agree there is no certainty a FA will resign, but I believe most FAs consider their current team first and foremost especially with said team's ability to continuously negotiate a contract prior to FA.  I think the idea was Messam was to be "rented" to the stamps and was supposed to come back once FA hit which ended up backfiring

12 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

This is silly comment.

Quality RBs are easy to find but not with a Canadian passport. If you had held onto Messam, you could have re-signed him.

Getting a kicker is much easier than a National RB.

And Winnipeg signed Medlock AFTER signing the National RB.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is silly comment.

Quality RBs are easy to find but not with a Canadian passport. If you had held onto Messam, you could have re-signed him.

Getting a kicker is much easier than a National RB.

And Winnipeg signed Medlock AFTER signing the National RB.

You also had the money to spend last year, The Riders did not.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If Owens has signed for $110k, Denmark can't be asking for more than that... can't believe he hasn't signed anywhere - 80-90k for Denmark seems more than fair.

It's total conjecture, but I have a thought-fart that Toronto might have offered him that amount or more already and Denmark is simply deciding if joining that circus and likely having the worst year of his career is worth the extra $30k.

He was cut twice last year.  Joining the Argos and having a 450 yard season would probably be the nail in his CFL coffin.  A one year deal for less money here and a 1000 yard season might be something he can flip into a 2 year deal for bigger coin afterwards.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

If Owens has signed for $110k, Denmark can't be asking for more than that... can't believe he hasn't signed anywhere - 80-90k for Denmark seems more than fair.

I don't get why Denmark isn't more valued throughout the league... must be missing something

29 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Looks like the Bombers missed out on Matt Black.

Argonauts agree to terms on extension for Canadian defensive back Matt Black https://goo.gl/fb/WKzFkV

interesting turn of events. I thought they said on day one this was pretty much a done deal.  Not that I think he'd see much time over Loffler but it is what it is I guess

9 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

interesting turn of events. I thought they said on day one this was pretty much a done deal.  Not that I think he'd see much time over Loffler but it is what it is I guess

Black has been in the CFL since 2008, he probably didn't want to uproot and start fresh in a new city at the tail-end of his career.

13 minutes ago, Sard said:

awesome news arguably our best receiver last year

**edit: I see Hustler&lawless tweet says he's been with winnipeg for 7 years?? seriously that seems super long

Edited by Taynted_Fayth