Free Agency Frenzy

BigBlue

The way the time lines play out for Hurl, I suspect that he most definitely did take a pay cut.  He came on board initially penciled in as a starter.  Didn't work out.  Now he's coming in as depth - special teams.  You don't get starter money for that.  I'm thinking he thought he could do better than what the Bombers were offering, so he dipped his toe into the free agent waters and when offers didn't come pouring in, he decided that maybe the Bombers deal wasn't so bad after all.

2 minutes ago, mbrg said:

You need to take a look at the guys making the tackles after Medlock kicks the ball away.

If we're in this for the cap management, there is no benefit to signing anyone.  Have a roster of zero players and we can win cap management.

Call it subjective if you want, but I think the Bombers had the best downfield coverage in the CFL last year.  Hurl was a big part of that.

Your cap management response is really one of the lamest, most pointless responses I've ever seen on this forum.

So in conclusion... we can't let Hurl walk because we had the best downfield coverage last year, but Burnett walks and everyone is 'meh' he's replaceable, just an ST player... ha

Waggoner is our ST leader, lots of other guys will step up if Hurl left...  for me Waggoner still has potential, Hurl has proven he is not a starter in this league so no reason to pay him...

55 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Where are the Riders getting all this money? Weren't they over the cap in 2016? The Commissioner will be all over Jones about this. The CFL won't stand for it. There will be consequences. Oh wait.

It's been mentioned multiple times by multiple sources that the Riders had the best position in terms of cap space in 2016.

Just now, Floyd said:

Your cap management response is really one of the lamest, most pointless responses I've ever seen on this forum.

So in conclusion... we can't let Hurl walk because we had the best downfield coverage last year, but Burnett walks and everyone is 'meh' he's replaceable, just an ST player... ha

Waggoner is our ST leader, lots of other guys will step up if Hurl left...  for me Waggoner still has potential, Hurl has proven he is not a starter in this league so no reason to pay him...

Canadian vs American....

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's why guys like Hurl and Boulay make six figures. They've earned it with the high level of play they bring on teams, and they're competent enough as backups in a pinch as well. The salary cap is what, $5.15 million? A guy making 100k makes 1.94% of that so quite frankly, I'm not all that worried about it.

Then why would Walters back away when bidding for LaFrance reached $110k...?  His potential is much higher than Hurl or a guy like Boulay...

I like the Nevis signing but I would have gone $130k for a potential ratio breaking RB to backup and eventually replace Harris

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Then why would Walters back away when bidding for LaFrance reached $110k...?  His potential is much higher than Hurl or a guy like Boulay...

I like the Nevis signing but I would have gone $130k for a potential ratio breaking RB to backup and eventually replace Harris

im guessing Flanders is cheaper?

4 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

It's been mentioned multiple times by multiple sources that the Riders had the best position in terms of cap space in 2016.

Is that using real math or Rider math cause... numbers are hard.  If it's real numbers, then Jones must get a bulk discount for the dozens and dozens of 2016 training camp fodder 

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

?

You really seem to have some personal issue with Hurl.  If it's going to cloud every comment maybe it's time for some introspection on the matter.

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You're still struggling with this "special teams is really a thing" concept, aren't you.

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

Putting approx. $300k into two running backs doesn't seem like great cap management.

The Riders will sign a young US kid and pay him 80 or 90k as an import rookie, spending about 200k on the position.  We're paying Harris 180k.  It will be hard (and against the CBA) to find an import willing to play for 20k.

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

You're still struggling with this "special teams is really a thing" concept, aren't you.

Not at all.  But I also understand that special teams is as much about the coach's system as it is about the individual players.

Osh has an ST scheme where he is able plug guys in...  funny how our ST coverage was still effective when Hurl was injured for half the season...

5 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Putting approx. $300k into two running backs doesn't seem like great cap management.

It is if LaFrance is 'replacing' Kohlert...  I was hoping the bombers were looking at LaFrance in order to play two backs, Lapo has done that before.

Anyway, water under the bridge.

Just now, Floyd said:

Not at all.  But I also understand that special teams is as much about the coach's system as it is about the individual players.

Osh has an ST scheme where he is able plug guys in...  funny how our ST coverage was still effective when Hurl was injured for half the season...

I think if you go back and check, he's not the only guy on teams, so they do rely on other good players too.  Having said that, paying a Canadian guy who's good at special teams mainstay and can spot fill a position like linebacker is a better use of dollars that spending that money and maybe more on a backup running back that doesn't play teams (as far as I know) and will rarely see the field.

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

TV just follows the ball.  The ball gets kicked, flies thru the air, gets caught by the returner and he gets tackled.  For the purposes of TV there might as well be 3 players on the field - the kicker, the returner and the tackler.

Waggoner had 14 tackles on teams last year.  I'd suggest he was valuable to what happened on the field more than 14 times last year.  If you're in the stadium and watching the players rather than the ball floating thru the air, you get an opportunity to see that.  TV often does a disservice to guys who's jobs aren't even up for all-star team consideration.

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

I think if you go back and check, he's not the only guy on teams, so they do rely on other good players too.  Having said that, paying a Canadian guy who's good at special teams mainstay and can spot fill a position like linebacker is a better use of dollars that spending that money and maybe more on a backup running back that doesn't play teams (as far as I know) and will rarely see the field.

That's pretty convenient for your argument...  except he was one of Ottawa's special teams leaders. 

3 minutes ago, mbrg said:

TV just follows the ball.  The ball gets kicked, flies thru the air, gets caught by the returner and he gets tackled.  For the purposes of TV there might as well be 3 players on the field - the kicker, the returner and the tackler.

Waggoner had 14 tackles on teams last year.  I'd suggest he was valuable to what happened on the field more than 14 times last year.  If you're in the stadium and watching the players rather than the ball floating thru the air, you get an opportunity to see that.  TV often does a disservice to guys who's jobs aren't even up for all-star team consideration.

Before this gets out of hand with you guys patting yourself on the back for being 'experts'...

My argument is that $100k (or more) for an ST player who has proven that he is not a starter is a bad investment and that $110k for a national running back that may have a very high ceiling AND is a special teams demon is a good investment.

Your turning it into typical forum bullshit...  we didn't sign LaFrance so obviously he can't play special teams, was over-rated, blah blah blah... we sign Hurl and its 'good value' because people don't 'understand' special teams...

This feels like the old Jerome Messam thread ha...  

LaFrance 11 sp teams tackles 

Hurl 8 special teams tackles 

How is 3 more sp teams tackles... how does that make him a sp teams beast? 

Bottom line... LaFrance would have been nice depth but with Harris here who is better than LaFrance... he wasn't really needed was he? Nope. I'm sorry but 130 k for a backup to Harris would be Ridiculous 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Maybe we draft a NI receiver...  

Also just because we lose burnett... this doesn't mean we can't bring in another young guy from down South to replace him.

Yeah I like burnett a lot and hope he does well. But he got a pretty good crack at taking a starting LBer job and looked like a STer. Hes crazy athletic in a sub tweener size with a great motor, but not a natural football player. We can dig up a few of those for camp, hope fully we find another gooder. 

If we could have simonise in camp this year itd be fantastic. The rest of the top wr prospects im not hot about. But it would be great to get a bunch of competition at that spot. Certainly a position to look at at worst with depth picks. A back up NI rb would be nice too. Really would have liked akeel lynch. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

LaFrance 11 sp teams tackles 

Hurl 8 special teams tackles 

How is 3 more sp teams tackles... how does that make him a sp teams beast? 

Bottom line... LaFrance would have been nice depth but with Harris here who is better than LaFrance... he wasn't really needed was he? Nope. I'm sorry but 130 k for a backup to Harris would be Ridiculous 

No one is arguing that he is better/worse than Hurl on ST... just that he is also very good.  Then again, Bob Dyce runs a really nice ST scheme like Osh.

He signed for $110k - that's the going rate for Canadians who can perform on special teams and occasionally contribute.  You must understand that about the CFL... no?

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

No one is arguing that he is better/worse than Hurl on ST... just that he is also very good.  Then again, Bob Dyce runs a really nice ST scheme like Osh.

He signed for $110k - that's the going rate for Canadians who can perform on special teams and occasionally contribute.  You must understand that about the CFL... no?

He's starting in Regina. He wouldn't be here