Free Agency Frenzy

BigBlue

6 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

If the Blue were to make a big signing, like say Venerable at   MLB, who could we release to make room (assuming we are tight cap wise)?

Ryan Smith, Weston Dressler, Stanley Bryant, a DB, a non sign of a vet QB .... I don't see where the $$$ would come from

Neufeld

9 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

If the Blue were to make a big signing, like say Venerable at   MLB, who could we release to make room (assuming we are tight cap wise)?

Ryan Smith, Weston Dressler, Stanley Bryant, a DB, a non sign of a vet QB .... I don't see where the $$$ would come from

Randle...

49 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

hurl, neufeld, and smith (are keeping, macho, gurley pending FAs? if not them) 

The down grade in cost from Mlb, 1 dt, and the back up qb spot, should all be a decent savings as well. I doubt we fill all those spots with equal money to what we spent on them last year. 

The OL is an interesting spot for us. With our picks we can target a good one, plus couture and foketi and i imagine intzandt on the PR. If we end up with a drafted OL, couture or foketi as one of our 5 best OL we could try and trade some one like bryant for value and cap flexibility. Not that i want to move bryant, but its a nice option to have. 

smith...neufeld...see ya later. Denmark for smith i think is an upgrade. Smith with Dressler here is redundant and much rather have Dressler. By time Denmark and Dressler be winding down scouting and or free agency should restock the position and hopefully leaning toward more size.

Couture is developing nicely and can replace what Neufeld can do now (and is cheaper) without the injury bs and will get better. Neufeld is what he is and if we stick with 3 imports we have backup imports already in the fold

Releasing Randle would be just plain dumb

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

smith...neufeld...see ya later. Denmark for smith i think is an upgrade. Smith with Dressler here is redundant and much rather have Dressler. By time Denmark and Dressler be winding down scouting and or free agency should restock the position and hopefully leaning toward more size.

Couture is developing nicely and can replace what Neufeld can do now (and is cheaper) without the injury bs and will get better. Neufeld is what he is and if we stick with 3 imports we have backup imports already in the fold

Releasing Randle would be just plain dumb

I'm not saying I would... but I could see the bombers moving on from Randle, expensive option on the strongside

Baffled that Neufeld is still here

If Hurl was getting $150k a season, that should free up some coin.  Really think the bombers are not in a salary cap bind though...

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Smith deserves another crack, if only because of his age....Dressler and Denny don't have *that* much time left...

Got to admit I was part of the group that wanted to let Smith go, however I think you are right. It would be great to see him become more like Dressler.  The potential is there. He's shown it. Maybe ask him to renegotiate his contract that is more insentive based contract.

I'm RELEASE: CFL.ca to provide unprecedented LIVE coverage of 2017 Free Agency press.cfl.ca/cflca-to-provi… #CFL #CFLFA

For the first time ever, the Canadian Football League ? and TSN ? will enhance their coverage of the start of Free Agency with several live update shows. Beginning at 11:30am ET on Tuesday, February 14th, Free Agency Live will stream on both CFL.ca and the League’s official Facebook page every hour on the half hour (11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm, etc)

Host Brodie Lawson and former all-star defensive back and CFL.ca contributor Davis Sanchez will lead the charge with up-to-the minute analysis, updates and extensive breakdowns of the annual sweepstakes.

TSN will air a 30-minute Free Agency show at noon ? ET hosted by Rod Smith, with special featured webisodes from 9:00am ET onwards and additional hits on the hour. A panel broadcasting from Toronto will include CFL Insiders Gary Lawless, Dave Naylor, Farhan Lalji, and Matthew Scianitti, with analysis from Milt Stegall and Derek Taylor to break down each signing. As news breaks, TSN will provide comprehensive coverage through TSN.ca/CFL, the TSN GO app mobile app, and hourly web-exclusive hits from the CFL on TSN panel.

CFL

Nice to see TSN giving some attention to CFL FA.  Hopefully there is enough activity to make it interesting. Not like their NHL trade deadline shows the last couple of years when they spend most of their time twiddling their thumbs and joking about bathroom breaks.

“Wednesday and Thursday are going to be very important days for us. When guys have had the opportunity to see their market value … that’s when you get the every-day low prices. You see where the market sets itself,” “You don’t want players in the locker room with a high-profile status that think you underpaid them. It’s to their advantage to see their market value.”

This sounds, more or less, what most of the GMs have in mind for this upcoming Free Agency. 

And, it makes sense. 

The author of this quote?

Kavis Reed.

37 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

“Wednesday and Thursday are going to be very important days for us. When guys have had the opportunity to see their market value … that’s when you get the every-day low prices. You see where the market sets itself,” “You don’t want players in the locker room with a high-profile status that think you underpaid them. It’s to their advantage to see their market value.”

This sounds, more or less, what most of the GMs have in mind for this upcoming Free Agency. 

And, it makes sense. 

The author of this quote?

Kavis Reed.

Unless the team one province over really needs, for example, your shut down left tackle. IMO that kind of strategy can backfire in a big way.