Where in the West would you rank ______ ?

Taynted_Fayth

4 hours ago, Kluchk said:

First off.....Vince Young still hasn't signed. And if he does there is still a chance he may not even make it to camp. If he can play ball keep him. If he can't move on. There is zero risk to talking to him. 

Secondly....the Riders are in much better shape to make a trade this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen. I'm not sold on Franklin yet.

Trade with who? And for which QB?  The league knows the state of the Riders QB position, no one is going to give up their young gun to you. You don't have anything anybody needs! Receivers?  Montreal and Edmonton, the 2 teams RFs have the hots for QB wise, don't need receivers. The Riders QB situation will not be resolved by some others team's young gun QB; superscout Murphy and his band of 100 scouts need to start turning over more rocks and find their own. Even then, when they do, he won't be ready for couple of years. 

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

we had nichols from the previous year though... so we had a plan. and it worked. Though the drastic change in the OL with bond can not be under rated. So we were not in the same position. Last year through out the year we had 3 no1 qbs. 

Unless that one trade fixes your OL, brings in a star rb,  and brings in half a new defensive line up no, no the riders arent one trade away from being in our spot last year... (+ a bunch of good NI talent.)

As we saw when the Bombers acquired Stanley Bryant a few years ago, adding one very good piece doesn't solve problems along the O-line.  Only after the last weak-link was replaced did they begin to get the results so long desired.  No quick fixes for a weak O-line.

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm no rider fan but an OL of Dennis-Best-Labatte-StJohn-Coleman with Clark as depth is not so bad... 

Really think this board is under-estimating Brandon Bridge... but maybe not...

Clark and Coleman wouldn't start for any other team in the league, St. John is a project and Best and Labatte may have health issues.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Clark and Coleman wouldn't start for any other team in the league, St. John is a project and Best and Labatte may have health issues.

Yeah, I'm not saying they're going to win the cup, ha...  just that its not a total train wreck

Just now, Floyd said:

Yeah, I'm not saying they're going to win the cup, ha...  just that its not a total train wreck

it could be a train wreck,  Best is likely done,  apparently looking at surgery he's been putting off for a while.

as throwlong mentioned,  Clark and Coleman aren't very good.

Jones has recently said JSJ is going to have to commit himself to the weight room and football which isn't a ringing endorsement. I believe he had a knock on him at the combine last year too about half assing it and putting up some rather mediocre #s

Dennis and a healthy Labatte are good though but 2 guys dont make up a line and Labatte might still be a ?

28 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

As we saw when the Bombers acquired Stanley Bryant a few years ago, adding one very good piece doesn't solve problems along the O-line.  Only after the last weak-link was replaced did they begin to get the results so long desired.  No quick fixes for a weak O-line.

Yeah thats true. Neufie was that last weak piece for us. Its not often you take out your worst OL and put in your best. 

You can turn an OL around quickly but its far from a sure thing. Even if you pick up 5 good OL. 

10 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

it could be a train wreck,  Best is likely done,  apparently looking at surgery he's been putting off for a while.

as throwlong mentioned,  Clark and Coleman aren't very good.

Jones has recently said JSJ is going to have to commit himself to the weight room and football which isn't a ringing endorsement. I believe he had a knock on him at the combine last year too about half assing it and putting up some rather mediocre #s

Dennis and a healthy Labatte are good though but 2 guys dont make up a line and Labatte might still be a ?

Hey!  It's Casey Jones at the throttle!

giphy.gif

On 2/18/2017 at 2:40 PM, Kluchk said:

First off.....Vince Young still hasn't signed. And if he does there is still a chance he may not even make it to camp. If he can play ball keep him. If he can't move on. There is zero risk to talking to him. 

Secondly....the Riders are in much better shape to make a trade this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen. I'm not sold on Franklin yet.

first point... I agree, that's technically true.... but you would have to think they would be able to bring in someone with some potential, rather than waste a TC spot on a washed-up NFL vet... 

second point... I'm not sure how the riders are in a good spot to make a trade... they have a stock-pile of decent to good receivers... but as history has taught us, teams will just wait til someone is released before making a trade...

Edited by bearpants

26 minutes ago, bearpants said:

first point... I agree, that's technically true.... but you would have to think they would be able to bring in someone with some potential, rather than waste a TC spot on a washed-up NFL vet... 

second point... I'm not sure how the riders are in a good spot to make a trade... they have a stock-pile of decent to good receivers... but as history has taught us, teams will just wait til someone is released before making a trade...

^^ this,  seems like they overloaded their receiver position and eventually someone(s) will shake loose.

Jones once again is getting mighty frivolous with his signing bonuses,  this could be more examples of that

I said as soon as Chris Jones was hired that the worst thing he could do is keep Darian Durant if he did not view him as the future of the franchise, for at least the length of Jones' initial three year deal. If he didn't want to roll with Durant, it was incredibly foolish to burn his first year (and his grace period with the fanbase) on a quarterback he had no intentions of keeping, especially if they were going to suck anyways which Jones pretty much guaranteed with his nuclear approach to roster building.

Rider fans told me it was bad optics to cut ties with Durant coming off injury, but to me, it's worse optics to cut ties this year and basically declare 2016 an entire waste of a season. Seriously, it may have had the makeup of a front office rebuild, but on the field, it was a burnt year. Nothing was accomplished. Not a single QB on the roster currently got any meaningful time to develop last year and they go into 2017 (the inaugural year of their new stadium) without an evident plan at the QB position.

Sure, they have a great contingent of receivers. Roosevelt is probably the best receiver in the league and if his head was on straight, Duron could be in the conversation too. I wholeheartedly predict Duron does not go the whole year without becoming a problem though, because he's not going to be the #1 guy in Riderville as long as Rosy is there. I also have no idea how they're going to get all these other guys on the field, unless it comes at the sacrifice of playing time for guys like Holley and Edwards, which I encourage.

They're essentially starting over in 2017 and even with an improved (we'll see) offensive line, the way they've built their roster is going to allow teams to essentially ignore the run game and pressure whatever QB they're able to put out there. Really, the only way they can save themselves in this scenario is by acquiring James Franklin, otherwise they're going to be in trouble.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I said as soon as Chris Jones was hired that the worst thing he could do is keep Darian Durant if he did not view him as the future of the franchise, for at least the length of Jones' initial three year deal. If he didn't want to roll with Durant, it was incredibly foolish to burn his first year (and his grace period with the fanbase) on a quarterback he had no intentions of keeping, especially if they were going to suck anyways which Jones pretty much guaranteed with his nuclear approach to roster building.

Rider fans told me it was bad optics to cut ties with Durant coming off injury, but to me, it's worse optics to cut ties this year and basically declare 2016 an entire waste of a season. Seriously, it may have had the makeup of a front office rebuild, but on the field, it was a burnt year. Nothing was accomplished. Not a single QB on the roster currently got any meaningful time to develop last year and they go into 2017 (the inaugural year of their new stadium) without an evident plan at the QB position.

Sure, they have a great contingent of receivers. Roosevelt is probably the best receiver in the league and if his head was on straight, Duron could be in the conversation too. I wholeheartedly predict Duron does not go the whole year without becoming a problem though, because he's not going to be the #1 guy in Riderville as long as Rosy is there. I also have no idea how they're going to get all these other guys on the field, unless it comes at the sacrifice of playing time for guys like Holley and Edwards, which I encourage.

They're essentially starting over in 2017 and even with an improved (we'll see) offensive line, the way they've built their roster is going to allow teams to essentially ignore the run game and pressure whatever QB they're able to put out there. Really, the only way they can save themselves in this scenario is by acquiring James Franklin, otherwise they're going to be in trouble.

I just dont see it happening. Even without Hervey and Jones' history, the riders could very well be 1 piece away (QB) from becoming a potential threat, and if your edmonton who only went 9-9 last year and lucked out to cross over,  would you want to strengthen your direct competition?

There's so many variables to consider such as Reilly's health, your own QB depth, division rival..etc that just make a trade of this magnitude unlikely in my eyes

26 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I just dont see it happening. Even without Hervey and Jones' history, the riders could very well be 1 piece away (QB) from becoming a potential threat, and if your edmonton who only went 9-9 last year and lucked out to cross over,  would you want to strengthen your direct competition?

There's so many variables to consider such as Reilly's health, your own QB depth, division rival..etc that just make a trade of this magnitude unlikely in my eyes

FTR: Edmonton went 10-8, which was a better record than any of the eastern teams in 2016. They weren't lucky to cross over, the were unlucky that the Redblack's chose to play their 3rd and 4th string QB's to allow us to win the last game.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

FTR: Edmonton went 10-8, which was a better record than any of the eastern teams in 2016. They weren't lucky to cross over, the were unlucky that the Redblack's chose to play their 3rd and 4th string QB's to allow us to win the last game.

my bad on the record, could have sworn they were .500 but in any case the point still stands, they finished in 4th (of course only 2 W's separating 2nd and 4th) but if they trade franklin, they lose depth and strengthen the 5th place team.  Considering they already have Bowman, Zylstra and Hazelton, I just dont see them that desperate to make a trade. 

22 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

my bad on the record, could have sworn they were .500 but in any case the point still stands, they finished in 4th (of course only 2 W's separating 2nd and 4th) but if they trade franklin, they lose depth and strengthen the 5th place team.  Considering they already have Bowman, Zylstra and Hazelton, I just dont see them that desperate to make a trade. 

I don't see them trading Franklin either, unless they can't extend him and they get some very good value in return.

30 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

They finished the season 5-4. They lost to Sask, BC and Calgary. Weren't lucky. They didn't win when they needed to. We did.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

They finished the season 5-4. They lost to Sask, BC and Calgary. Weren't lucky. They didn't win when they needed to. We did.

We went 3 and 3 in our last 6 games. Lost to Cgy, Edm, and Ott. Got some breaks to win 2 very close games with BC. Won the last game of the year against Ott when they didn't play their top 2 QB's or a bunch of other starters to 'win when we needed to'.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't see them trading Franklin either, unless they can't extend him and they get some very good value in return.

If Walters is smart he'll keep his hand in the Franklin sweepstakes, eventually Herve will try to get some value for him and I just can't see him wanting to help Jones out of the hole he's dug.  Rider fans will work themselves into a tizzy but eventually Franklin will land in "anywhere else but Sask.".

55 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Always the negative spin....

And just how well did Edmonton do by the way?

15 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We went 3 and 3 in our last 6 games. Lost to Cgy, Edm, and Ott. Got some breaks to win 2 very close games with BC. Won the last game of the year against Ott when they didn't play their top 2 QB's or a bunch of other starters to 'win when we needed to'.

We finished 11-7, so, yeah, we did win when we needed to.

7 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Walters is smart he'll keep his hand in the Franklin sweepstakes, eventually Herve will try to get some value for him and I just can't see him wanting to help Jones out of the hole he's dug.  Rider fans will work themselves into a tizzy but eventually Franklin will land in "anywhere else but Sask.".

The Bombers and the Eskimos were very closely matched last year, so I'm not sure that Hervey would want to help us out either. In fact, it may make more sense for the Esks to help the Riders than to help us. OTOH, I'd love to see Franklin in B&G.

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

Always the negative spin....

And just how well did Edmonton do by the way?

Better than us. They won a playoff game, we were one and done.

17 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think Franklin stays. I think they keep him and Reilly together, knowing the way Reilly plays. Franklin will get his chances.

That being said, if Reilly stays healthy all season and Franklin doesn't extend in-year, they'll move him (to anywhere but Saskatchewan).

Edited by JCon

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

And we went 6-3 when Edmonton went 5-4. Nice of you to ignore the last 9 game summary that I did.