Free Agency Performance: GM Walters

BigBlue

GM Performance  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with Walers performance during free agency frenzy week and in the prep month before?

• Very Satisfied - showed wisdom & maturity; $ spent very well
    • Happily Satisfied - got more than our fair share of good deals
    • Somewhat satisfied - we did ok but could have been more aggresuve
    • Disappointed - we left too much on the table & we missed the best deals for us
    • Unhappy - we don't know what we are doing, not really
    • Other - please explain

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

And yes, Glenn is the more experienced QB, but what does that matter as an insurance policy-type player? LeFervour will fill that role quite nicely and under LaPolice, may surprise.

And in the end, Glenn was a free agent with free will.  Third-string in Winnipeg or starter in Saskatchewan.  Do people want Walters to tell Glenn he'd get to compete to start here?  I don't get what the expectation is.  It's real life with real people.  Not a video game.

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You've watched detailed film on our LB prospects?  If not don't make things up about "style of player."  We don't know.  We can't say.  Wait and see.

I do know that Bass was on the wrong shoulder a lot of the time and gave up a lot of yards because of it despite his athleticism. I watched him play for 2 seasons. He struggled to make plays coming to the LOS and relied a lot on his feet to make up for bad reads/positioning.

Hey I'm excited about Will Smith but I just haven't seen any difference between him and Bass... I liked Bass.

You have more insight than me...  I would never be able to tell if a guy is lining up on the wrong shoulder or if that's where Hall is asking him to 'fill a gap'...

To me, I feel like Shologan, Cumings and Bass are maybe taking the fall for Hall's flawed system... we'll find out soon enough

I do know that Bass was on the wrong shoulder a lot of the time and gave up a lot of yards because of it despite his athleticism. I watched him play for 2 seasons. He struggled to make plays coming to the LOS and relied a lot on his feet to make up for bad reads/positioning.

I think, for me, I used more 'errrs' per missed tackle on Bass, so I would have to agree with you. The second most errrs? Wild..

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Sholo's replacement is Thomas, not Okp..., which isn't an upgrade, in fact it's a downgrade in the level of our NI starters.

Glenn having a solid shot at #1 elsewhere doesn't change the fact that LeFevour is a downgrade.

Pretty sure Walters already has Ankou pencilled in there

3 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Technically, Nevis will replace Shologan @ NT. 

Thomas, Butcher (or Ankou) will replace Cummings (3T).  

At least that how I understand it. 

Is Thomas not more of a nose tackle?  I only recall him spelling off Shologan last year

Thomas was taking reps from Shologan last year and there's opportunities for Canadians throughout the defence to take snaps in different packages to balance the ratio.  It doesn't just have to be at DT, it has to be 3 guys on the field at all times on D.  

It's also February and we're talking about a team with 3 high picks.

I don'the see a valid comparison with Glenn and lefevour. Glenn may very well end up starting for the riders more times then not in 2017 whereas lefevour will likely be our short yardage qb and potentially an insurance policy if Nichols gets hurt and Davis can't deliver 

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

7 hours ago, johnzo said:

Whoever is hurt that week?

I think this is an important point.  No one gets through the season on 5 receivers.  If we got nice deals on Stafford and Denmark and can afford to keep all our veterans on the roster, we're laughing.  I feel really good about Stafford coming in as an injury replacement rather than some nobody.

8 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Sholo's replacement is Thomas, not Okp..., which isn't an upgrade, in fact it's a downgrade in the level of our NI starters.

Glenn having a solid shot at #1 elsewhere doesn't change the fact that LeFevour is a downgrade.

You make a good point about Sholo's replacement being Thomas, but you're ignoring the fact that Okp over Green/Cole is potentially a huge upgrade.  I also think that Thomas had more of an impact than Shologan when he got a shot last year but his strength (big motor) could be offset with more reps so we'll see what happens there.  I'm counting on a top rookie Canadian DT coming in to be bros with Thomas.

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think this is an important point.  No one gets through the season on 5 receivers.  If we got nice deals on Stafford and Denmark and can afford to keep all our veterans on the roster, we're laughing.  I feel really good about Stafford coming in as an injury replacement rather than some nobody.

You make a good point about Sholo's replacement being Thomas, but you're ignoring the fact that Okp over Green/Cole is potentially a huge upgrade.  I also think that Thomas had more of an impact than Shologan when he got a shot last year but his strength (big motor) could be offset with more reps so we'll see what happens there.  I'm counting on a top rookie Canadian DT coming in to be bros with Thomas.

By Labour Day, I could see... 

Westerman/Corney - Thomas/Nevis - Butcher/Ankou - OkPo

Team was pretty high on Butcher - and Nevis can play any part of the interior

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

I wish we'd kept Mayo.  He pro-rated to be a 1000-yard receiver last year.

(I know, I know, pro-rating is stupid, but the guy showed lots of promise and was really key in one of our early turnaround games)

10 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'm not ignoring the upgrade at DE. I'm simply saying it comes as the cost of losing a starting Canadian DT.

We've basically moved the low salary spot on the D line from the DE spot to the DT spot. IF we draft a DT #1 overall and they don't get an NFL shot so they aren't lost for the year and they end up being the rare rookie who can start right away and they are somehow better than Sholo, they will still be more expensive than Cole was last year adding to our SMS issues.

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not ignoring the upgrade at DE. I'm simply saying it comes as the cost of losing a starting Canadian DT.

We've basically moved the low salary spot on the D line from the DE spot to the DT spot. IF we draft a DT #1 overall and they don't get an NFL shot so they aren't lost for the year and they end up being the rare rookie who can start right away and they are somehow better than Sholo, they will still be more expensive than Cole was last year adding to our SMS issues.

SMS issues?  It's February.. we don't have any SMS issues.

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Again, I know it's not the same position, but Oka is replacing Shologan. Thomas/Draft pick doesn't need to be better than Shol. The combo of Oka and DT need to be better than the combo of the rotating DE spot last year and Shol.

youre exactly right they moved the low salary spot over one. I think the team is excited about having an impact player at DE rather than whatever Sholo and Cummings were being last season.

Very concerned about the state of our linebackers, they were the weak link last year on an otherwise all-around solid team, and we have subtracted from that group instead of adding to it. You can say that our scouting might unearth a gem or two but there is no track record of that being the case, all our improvement has come via free agency.

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Oka replacing Sholo is an import replacing a starting non-import, which in turn weakens our starting NI's.

I guess that depends on how effective you feel Sholo was last year.

if our new rotation of NI DTs is equal to Sholo's % of snaps last season, our line has improved (assuming Oka improves on Green and Coles performances at DE).

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I guess that depends on how effective you feel Sholo was last year.

if our new rotation of NI DTs is equal to Sholo's % of snaps last season, our line has improved (assuming Oka improves on Green and Coles performances at DE).

Sholo was one of our big acquisitions last year. A starting Canuck coming off of a great season. Our D line was supposed to be fixed with him and Cummings who was also coming off a great year. 20-20 hindsight says that it didn't work out very well. IMO it's our defensive scheme. In others opinions it's the players that we got rid of's fault. Thomas is now our 7th starting NI. IMO he's a downgrade on Sholo/Thomas.

Some NI has to take Sholo's % of snaps. Simply taking those snaps doesn't equal an improved DL, unless they can do as well as Sholo did last year, even factoring in Okp.

15 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Sholo was one of our big acquisitions last year. A starting Canuck coming off of a great season. Our D line was supposed to be fixed with him and Cummings who was also coming off a great year. 20-20 hindsight says that it didn't work out very well. IMO it's our defensive scheme. In others opinions it's the players that we got rid of's fault. Thomas is now our 7th starting NI. IMO he's a downgrade on Sholo/Thomas.

Some NI has to take Sholo's % of snaps. Simply taking those snaps doesn't equal an improved DL, unless they can do as well as Sholo did last year, even factoring in Okp.

I think it's a little of both, player and scheme.  Hall was with us in 2015 as well where Westerman saw 17 sacks, then he only got 8 sacks last year but our turn overs sky rocketed. 

Personally I didn't feel Cummings and Shologan got a good enough push up the middle and as a result teams were able to isolate Westerman better (plus our other DE position was practically non existent).

I'm not completely sold on Thomas as a starting DT, perhaps if we draft that Ankou he might be good to go sooner then later.  But I do think Okpalaugo on the other edge is immediately better than Cole or Green,  and Nevis... I didn't watch him enough to form an opinion tbh but he sounds pretty well revered by those who did watch him more closely