Free Agency Performance: GM Walters

BigBlue

GM Performance  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with Walers performance during free agency frenzy week and in the prep month before?

• Very Satisfied - showed wisdom & maturity; $ spent very well
    • Happily Satisfied - got more than our fair share of good deals
    • Somewhat satisfied - we did ok but could have been more aggresuve
    • Disappointed - we left too much on the table & we missed the best deals for us
    • Unhappy - we don't know what we are doing, not really
    • Other - please explain

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Sholo was one of our big acquisitions last year. A starting Canuck coming off of a great season. Our D line was supposed to be fixed with him and Cummings who was also coming off a great year. 20-20 hindsight says that it didn't work out very well. IMO it's our defensive scheme. In others opinions it's the players that we got rid of's fault. Thomas is now our 7th starting NI. IMO he's a downgrade on Sholo/Thomas.

Some NI has to take Sholo's % of snaps. Simply taking those snaps doesn't equal an improved DL, unless they can do as well as Sholo did last year, even factoring in Okp.

We definitely agree on the scheme. Hopefully there are going to be some changes made in that regard to be more effective. 

The question on our D-Line is not simply replacing Shologan with Thomas as they shared that one position. Whomever the Bombers acquire to rotate with Thomas has to, at least, equal the output that was achieved last year. I was never a Shologan fan, but to me, it shouldn't be difficult to do that. The rest of the line?

Westerman equals Westerman, Nevis and Cummimngs? Should be pretty close. Okpalaugo? A huge signing. If he plays up to what he is capable of, he'll make the whole line better. That, to me, is the improvement that the Bombers need from the front four.

Do we need another Free Agent DLineman? No. They'll do this through the draft.

As to losing Bass, he is a good player, but we have two like players at that position, and so we'll move on. Finding that elusive MLB will be the key. Getting the right guy in there will change our defence dramatically in my estimation. I hope we already have that guy on the roster, but I really wouldn't object to a Free Agency acquisition. Maybe someone like Ellsworth. 

All I know is that we're close to having a much better defence. The secondary is pretty well set, so it's two more guys...

With two first round picks that will demand $100k+, I can understand Walters' lack of FA spending this year.

I'd feel better if we were replacing Sholo with Westerman... but whatevs.

The only thing that I don't really like about Walters' FA is the gap at NI REC... this makes me feel like we'll go receiver at #5 and I think Herdman, Bladek or Gray will still be on the board.

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

We've got LB bodies on the roster already, who are potentially better than what we "lost" and I have no doubt a few more will be in camp. Not concerned at all, and have high hopes for Will Smith at MACK... 

I agree with you on smith being better then what we lost. Im not sold on knox yet. We are crazy deep at LBer, and its pretty plug n play recruiting. Especially mlb. 

I'd be pretty surprised if Herdman doesn't get at least a UFA deal down south after his week at the Senior Bowl. Pat Kirwan from SiriusXM NFL radio goes down and broadcasts from there every year, and I heard him (without prompting) single out Herdman as a 'thumper who will stick his nose in there and stop the run', when talking to a caller about a team that needed help at LB. 

25 minutes ago, nate007 said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Herdman doesn't get at least a UFA deal down south after his week at the Senior Bowl. Pat Kirwan from SiriusXM NFL radio goes down and broadcasts from there every year, and I heard him (without prompting) single out Herdman as a 'thumper who will stick his nose in there and stop the run', when talking to a caller about a team that needed help at LB. 

Herdman will definitely get a NFL deal but that wont stop Jones from drafting him. See Onyemata.

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I agree with you on smith being better then what we lost. Im not sold on knox yet. We are crazy deep at LBer, and its pretty plug n play recruiting. Especially mlb. 

The only problem is that every year this board gets excited about a stud LB or REC who will be the next CFL AllStar... and they get cut before training camp.

All I know is that we're only a couple years away from having to watch Hurl and then Kuale line up in the middle.  

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The only problem is that every year this board gets excited about a stud LB or REC who will be the next CFL AllStar... and they get cut before training camp.

All I know is that we're only a couple years away from having to watch Hurl and then Kuale line up in the middle.  

Thats true, but that probably has more to do with coaching.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:43 AM, Mr Dee said:

Westerman equals Westerman, Nevis and Cummimngs? Should be pretty close. Okpalaugo? A huge signing. If he plays up to what he is capable of, he'll make the whole line better. That, to me, is the improvement that the Bombers need from the front four.

hmmmm... yes I would agree that Westerman is, in fact, equivalent to Westerman... :P

On 2/19/2017 at 11:58 AM, Floyd said:

With two first round picks that will demand $100k+, I can understand Walters' lack of FA spending this year.

If I recall correctly previous first rounders were getting in the 80-90k range.... it was talked about a lot last year when Chris Jones tried to single-handedly save the CFL by low-balling St John... I can't get over what a goddamn hero that man is... :lol:

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

hmmmm... yes I would agree that Westerman is, in fact, equivalent to Westerman... :P

If I recall correctly previous first rounders were getting in the 80-90k range.... it was talked about a lot last year when Chris Jones tried to single-handedly save the CFL by low-balling St John... I can't get over what a goddamn hero that man is... :lol:

Could be...   Mateas was reported 80k base and over $100k if he started all the games

Chungh got 20k signing bonus - so assuming he was up around 100k too

If Walters goes for Ankou, its probably a ceiling of 110-120k - assuming we're trying to sign him to a three year deal