Game 63 : 20 Games Left @ Maple Leafs

If they finish tied in points Matthews has more goals they will say goals matter more. If he has more assists they will say setting up teammates matters more. 

It's weird.  

If it ended today I don't see how Laine wouldn't win the award. But TO has, what 4 games in hand?  So let's wait til Matthews catches up in games to see the points and goals.  

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If they finish tied in points Matthews has more goals they will say goals matter more. If he has more assists they will say setting up teammates matters more. 

It's weird.  

If it ended today I don't see how Laine wouldn't win the award. But TO has, what 4 games in hand?  So let's wait til Matthews catches up in games to see the points and goals.  

Many already believe that its a done deal the Calder will go to Matthews, the media machine in Toronto can't be beat he has two sports channels banging his drum.

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It's weird.  

Laine has a good chance. Definitely if he beats Matthews in points in fewer games.

People always say it's Toronto he'll get it but how many people hate Toronta?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It's weird.  

Laine has more points in less games...  games in hand (should) work against Matthews

Laine will have to finish with more points regardless of GP. Jets have played more than Leafs so TO will catch up here. We'll see what the points look like then. 

One of the TSN guys picked Matthews as His Calder winner saying it's like Ovechkin vs Crosby - Ovechkin scores more goals but everyone thinks Sid is better. Except Ovechkin won the Calder. So that was a weird point. 

Calder is not for player you think will have the best career. It's not even for most talented player. It's for player who has the best rookie season. If Laine finishes ahead of Mathews especially in goals, he should win. Period. 

Leafs boards are pretty amusing.   Need more ticker tape in TO.

Some Leaf fans are pretty charged up, and doing plenty of tub thumping .....about beating a poorly coached, non-playoff team, at the end of a tough road trip, with a depleted D corps.....in overtime.

Laine has 5 goals in two games against the Leafs, but he is some kind of junk......."sigh"

Too bad that the Big Dumb Buff showed up......the penalties, the walkabout on the tying PK, and the dumb 4 on 4 play in the overtime.

PS, Laine will just have to score a lot more points than anyone to win that Calder.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Laine will have to finish with more points regardless of GP. Jets have played more than Leafs so TO will catch up here. We'll see what the points look like then. 

One of the TSN guys picked Matthews as His Calder winner saying it's like Ovechkin vs Crosby - Ovechkin scores more goals but everyone thinks Sid is better. Except Ovechkin won the Calder. So that was a weird point. 

Calder is not for player you think will have the best career. It's not even for most talented player. It's for player who has the best rookie season. If Laine finishes ahead of Mathews especially in goals, he should win. Period. 

TSN was gushing about Matthews yesterday. Bob made a few good points.

As I've said, the Calder was decided on draft day and now the Toronto Sports Network (and all other TO based hockey media) are doing everything they can to justify it.

Do I think Matthews has had a better season? Yes. But Laine would need to win the rookie point race by 20, Jets make the playoffs and the Leafs miss-out for the media to change their vote.

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

TSN was gushing about Matthews yesterday. Bob made a few good points.

As I've said, the Calder was decided on draft day and now the Toronto Sports Network (and all other TO based hockey media) are doing everything they can to justify it.

Do I think Matthews has had a better season? Yes. But Laine would need to win the rookie point race by 20, Jets make the playoffs and the Leafs miss-out for the media to change their vote.

Ideally, someone outside of Toronto and Winnipeg who has seen, live, each player play in all their games date makes that call . . ..

Exactly what J Con has said the Calder was giving to the generational player the day he was drafted by the almighty Leafs, media members constantly hype him and he can do no wrong, I don't think he has played on a superior level compared to Laine who opened a lot of the Laughs fans eyes last night.

8 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Exactly what J Con has said the Calder was giving to the generational player the day he was drafted by the almighty Leafs, media members constantly hype him and he can do no wrong, I don't think he has played on a superior level compared to Laine who opened a lot of the Laughs fans eyes last night.

But Matthews' line mates.... /s