Ourbombers.com

Hard to believe it died out, but really when most of the knowledgable posters left at the inception of MBB it was all but predictable. Props to Colin and all those who spent many long hours and years giving us long suffering Bomber fans a place to vent and cheer for our beloved Blue and Gold. My only regret was no Grey Cup to celebrate for all those years posting there ... Oh so close in 2001, Damn you Westwide :)

Edited by IC Khari

On 2017-2-23 at 0:31 PM, Jimmy Pop said:

Digging through an old album, found a pic from just before Our Bombers was launched.  @17to85 which one are you, again?

Image result for 70's nerds

Hey my first computing job was writing an accounting system on a double floppy TRS80. The next job was converting a basic program on a TRS80 to a minicomputer. That TRS80 had a 5 MB hard drive that I had to clean the filter every week so that it didn't overheat. My first computer was an Apple clone with a cassette tape storage like the photo. OK no more nostalgia.   

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I think I would've been about 5 years away from being an idea back then. That picture has to be at least 30 years old and I am not there yet. You oldies.

Which is weird because if you're around 25 we're close to the same age and i remember you absolutely bashing one of my old personas there.

I was probably 12. :lol:

Edited by Gotmilt

39 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

RIP. Many years spent lurking there before finally creating a profile.

98.21% of my time on the internet has been spent on these 2 Bomber forums, Reddit and playing Fantasy Sports. 

yup.  me too. OB was my first foray into bomber online mingling and loved it.  Hated how it unraveled.  When MBB came to be, I was skeptical but wow has it been a god-send.  

I rarely, if ever enter the circus that is TEP.

21 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Was an active member at OB until 2006 when TEP was created. I left shortly after it's creation to get away from Nate. Colin was always a very nice man and I am saddened that OB is no more. Hope Colin keeps coming around the forums to share his thoughts.

seconded.  I tried to stay active on both but wow did MBB really put the fork into OB.  (not purposely I'm sure but there really isn't enough room in the interwebs for 2 decent forums and one decrepit one lol)

I too hope Colin keeps active in the bomber internet community. 

Its been awhile since the mass exodus from that site.  What was the mitgating factor that did it in? If i recall it was a reluctance allow some knowledgeable posters  to takeover/update/improve the site but a MIA site owner refused

Am i way off is this correct?   

I liked OB alot, but the board interface wasn't that great and lacked some pretty basic features.  The color scheme/layout there is horrendous.

MBB is really clean and the colors all compliment each other well..  Too bad it took a revolt to get the change we needed..

24 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

seconded.  I tried to stay active on both but wow did MBB really put the fork into OB.  (not purposely I'm sure but there really isn't enough room in the interwebs for 2 decent forums and one decrepit one lol)

Thankfully we have one of those, unlike the two posters in Tranna ;)

24 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Its been awhile since the mass exodus from that site.  What was the mitgating factor that did it in? If i recall it was a reluctance allow some knowledgeable posters  to takeover/update/improve the site but a MIA site owner refused

I liked OB alot, but the board interface wasn't that great and lacked some pretty basic features.  The color scheme/layout there is horrendous.

MBB is really clean and the colors all compliment each other well..  Too bad it took a revolt to get the change we needed..

Say what you want about interface, graphic design etc of that site, at one time it was THE only place to get the genuine Bomber news. I'll never forget the explosion there after Mike Kelly's infamous presser LOL. For that I will be eternally grateful. I hope somehow some of the things done there will be remembered as a part of the team lore. Kinda like being a Jets fan when they were champs back in the WHA days, or a Bomber fan in the 80's, just be thankful if you were around at the time to experience it :)

Edited by IC Khari

34 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I mean ... yeah ... it kind of was on purpose.

:wacko:

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean ... yeah ... it kind of was on purpose.

:wacko:

lol well yes and no I'm sure.. I can't imagine you and rich sat there with steepled fingers saying "time for the OB to.... DIE! muahahhahha!"  you guys wanted to bring another option to the table with the hopes it would eventually draw all the posters over and let OB slide into.. well.. where it has, lol..

you guys really didn't game plan to kill OB, did you? thats like.. premeditated murder or something.

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

you guys really didn't game plan to kill OB, did you? thats like.. premeditated murder or something.

It's competition.....and they were right to do it. OB was serviceable in its time and did it's part to make sure I did as little work as possible over the years, but this is the now. Not sure what the future is, but this is the now...

Colin and I have had a great number of issues over the years, but I choose to leave all that behind. I was a Mod, then an Admin, then......nothing.......this is now, and I couldn't be happier. 

16 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

lol well yes and no I'm sure.. I can't imagine you and rich sat there with steepled fingers saying "time for the OB to.... DIE! muahahhahha!"  you guys wanted to bring another option to the table with the hopes it would eventually draw all the posters over and let OB slide into.. well.. where it has, lol..

I could probably write a book about it if there was a market for books about online forum community nerd stuff.

I guess it's a little easier to talk about it more freely now that so much time has passed. I don't harbor any bad feelings towards Colin, because as I've gotten busier with my life, I understand entirely how time can just get away from you.

But to keep it short and sweet, basically what happened is that we wanted updates to the forum to allow it to grow, we were continually told they would happen and they never did, we offered to buy the domain and run it ourselves, the offer was refused and eventually, we got tired of putting in 100% of the work on a forum that was severely in need of work we were not permitted to do. I'm sure Colin will tell you the same thing now - he was very proud of OB and he wanted to keep it as "his own" but he just didn't have the time to make it happen. By the end of it all, I'm pretty sure the forum software was so busted over at Ourbombers that we couldn't even approve new registrations.

We tried multiple times to buy the domain name from him so that we would have the ability to make the improvements EVERYBODY wanted and still keep the name to show respect to what he had built. Never worked out the way we wanted, so plan B was to form our own site. At that point, it's kind of difficult to say that the intent wasn't to "kill OB" even if that's a little bit dramatic. When you want to build a new house on the same lot, you have to demolish the old one. That's what we did.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I know there were other reasons for it,  but just before the "mass exodus" there was an update to the site and the colour scheme went all dark and many people complained it hurt their eyes to read. it was then reformatted to its last colour scheme but both paled in comparsion to the original version, which was more like this current colour scheme here on MBB

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's competition.....and they were right to do it. OB was serviceable in its time and did it's part to make sure I did as little work as possible over the years, but this is the now. Not sure what the future is, but this is the now...

Colin and I have had a great number of issues over the years, but I choose to leave all that behind. I was a Mod, then an Admin, then......nothing.......this is now, and I couldn't be happier. 

I'll never forget your clever handle of Relleon, probably went about a year before i read it backwards lol