Mystery Miller

BigBlue

Wade Miller was hired with great fanfare and promise .... and so far things have been ok or maybe better than OK

But what has he really done? It's hard to see what impact he is having behind the scenes

Is he on board for more than just having a good attitude?

How would you rate President Miller compared to his colleagues across the league?

Edited by BigBlue

Fabulous job. If we don't hear about problems...he must be doing his job. If the financials keep coming in as positive...he must be doing his job. He doesn't interfere...because that's not his job.

All the rest, we don't really know about, and that's probably good.

I wouldn't compare him to anybody else's position in the league...because you can't.

Each situation is unique. 

There, mystery solved.

IMO he is doing a much better job then his predecessor, Garth Buchko.  I've liked what he has done so far..

Many improvements around the stadium since he has taken over in terms of game day experience, traffic, etc.  Addressed a lot of the issues people complained about when we first moved in.   Not everything they've tried has worked, but they aren't standing pat.

I often see him out in the concourse game days.  He has come up to us just to chat and see how everything is going, make sure everything is okay.

The Bombers financials have been okay under his watch.  About as good as you can expect given the situation he inherited (new stadium needing repairs, etc) and the mortgage they need to pay down.

The team really needs successful seasons over multiple years to bring some of the season ticket numbers back up and revive the image of the Bombers for some in the city, especially with the Jets now here.  Last year was a good step in that direction.  Hopefully the people he has in place can build towards that.

He's hired the right guys to turn the record around, now let's see if he can get attendance/season tickets back to the level they were at a few years ago.  Pretty tough to judge the President of the organization beyond the record on the field and the numbers on the balance sheet.  But both of those factors have been improving and so has the game-day experience.  And he hasn't done anything horribly embarrassing so that's a plus.

Last season, after the first few weeks of the season, the team looked horrible and were running Willy out each week. I was convinced that, despite being obviously more talented, that MOS needed to go. I blamed Miller for not pushing Walters more on the situation. I was wrong. MOS made the right moves/decisions and things turned around. 

I'm not the biggest Miller fan. That being said, he's done a good job of getting the right people in the club and changing the atmosphere. A bit slower than I had hoped but everything has been for the positive, so far. 

I think that there are plenty of areas that they can improve on the game-day experience and will always vocalize my opinion to that on the team but, overall, I think the Bombers are a much better organization now than they were a few years ago and will continue to get better. 

The less we see of Miller (or any President), the better. And, as time has passed, we're seeing him less and less.

For the first time in forever I can truly say we are in good Hands with The Trinity. It wasn't that long ago we were the gongshow of the CFL. We aren't anymore and a lot of that is due to the efforts of Miller . He was the guy who gave Walters a shot and Walters gave oshea a shot and together they have turned this team around and in reality... rather quickly when you actually think about where we were organizationally a few years ago. 

Edited by Goalie

13 hours ago, Rich said:

IMO he is doing a much better job then his predecessor, Garth Buchko.  I've liked what he has done so far..

Many improvements around the stadium since he has taken over in terms of game day experience, traffic, etc.  Addressed a lot of the issues people complained about when we first moved in.   Not everything they've tried has worked, but they aren't standing pat.

I often see him out in the concourse game days.  He has come up to us just to chat and see how everything is going, make sure everything is okay.

Further to what Rich said, Miller is very customer-focused, and he is instilling that culture throughout the Bomber office.  I received 3 calls directly from the Bomber office this season as a season-ticket holder.  Two of the calls were initiated by the Bombers, one from Miller directly, asking about the quality of my game-day experiences and asking for feedback.  The third was because I had complained to a staff member about not being able to see the game feed while in line for concessions (the screen facing our line was showing the twitter feed).  The staff member had noted my seat number and I got a call back the next week. 

In almost 20 years as a season ticket holder, I have had exactly 0 calls prior to this past season from any of the previous regimes.

I am wondering about the Bombers overhead relative to its day to day operating budget.

The player expenditure budget  is fixed by league law but what about coaches * instructor salaries, scouting costs, travel expenses related to evaluating new talent and that sort of thing.

Are we better or worse off than citiies like Edmonton and Ottawa which appear better off or struggling clubs like Toronto  & Regina?

Can we spend freely or are we really tight?

3 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I am wondering about the Bombers overhead relative to its day to day operating budget.

The player expenditure budget  is fixed by league law but what about coaches * instructor salaries, scouting costs, travel expenses related to evaluating new talent and that sort of thing.

Are we better or worse off than citiies like Edmonton and Ottawa which appear better off or struggling clubs like Toronto  & Regina?

There are a lot of costs associated with the lease payments on the new stadium. When the placed is packed, they make lots of money.

They certainly make a lot more at the gate now and in concessions. They've weathered the storm on the down years and now, hopefully, we can have some sustained success that will translate into increased ticket sales.

For years the marketing, game experience, fan relations, etc....has been somewhat of a joke.  

Miller is not perfect, but I seen enough efforts/improvement... made in that direction to be somewhat satisfied.  

Also am a real big fan of this concept of running a Canadian Football League club.....with Canadians in charge from top to bottom.

5 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I've been in the Bomber store and bumped into Miller.  I was impressed that he talked with me for some time.  Nice to see him take the time when he could have shaken my hand and quickly moved along.  It's doing the little things right that goes a long way.

I don't know about anyone else, but as a season ticket holder I've always been impressed by the fact Wade takes time out of his schedule to meet and greet with anyone who picks up their season tickets on the first day (just basically greets people picking up their tickets). I think the biggest improvement from him coming in is the fact that he's reestablished the idea that season ticket holders are a cornerstone of the Bombers local fan support, revenue and pride and deserve to be treated as such.

He has also done a really good job with some of the bad hands dealt to him by the prior regime. Lastly I think he has a huge desire to help this organization win and be a part of Winnipeg that the city can be proud of... that goes a long way.

He's been adequate. He hasn't messed with the people in charge of the on field product the way Lyle did. While Bauer did the books good he seriously harmed the on field product by getting involved in all ways. 

Hopefully the on field product is as good as it was in the last 13 weeks of last season. Only that will put butts in the seats. There is nothing else Wade can do outside of that.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:27 PM, JCon said:

The less we see of Miller (or any President), the better. And, as time has passed, we're seeing him less and less.

this is exactly what I was thinking... the first couple years he was in the news all the time... the famous Pauls would write about him not doing a good job every other day.... then last year, no one was talking about him... did he start doing his job better? No, of course not. He continued doing everything the same way... but finally, we were seeing results on the field...

On 2/27/2017 at 10:34 AM, BigBlue said:

Everything you need to know about Miller can be found here ... 

abd-246.gif

Edited by IC Khari