Game 68 : Penguins @ 15 Games Left

4 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Good for Malkin for answering the challenge and good for Wheeler for kicking his ass.

Sestito made the Pens look bad last night. I'd love to hear Lemieux's thoughts on how he was used.

This cant be overstated.  Sestito was called up for one reason.  And 3 minutes into the game, Wheeler and Malkin (credit to both) resolve the issue and tension.  Sestito knows he is now useless.  He said before the game he knows he wasnt called up for his scoring.  He's all geeked up looking for something.  He begs Thorbs to fight- the type of fights the NHL supposedly wants to eliminate.  While the Linesman takes ten minutes to drop the puck, Sestito is practically jumping out of his skin and could have been called right there if they wanted to muzzle him.

He waives off the linesmen in the fight because he's desperate to "show" off to the Pens coaches.  And then he skates around looking to make an impact and finds a target in Toby.

That's the kind of game that should see a player never again play a second in the NHL.  At worst he should receive a lengthy suspension.  And if the NHL was serious they'd suspect the HC too and fine the team.  They called him up to do that very thing and then did not manage the player during the game.  That's ridiculous.

And I bet the NHL doesnt even suspend Sestito.

And I say this as a big Pens fan.  They're my team after the Jets. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This cant be overstated.  Sestito was called up for one reason.  And 3 minutes into the game, Wheeler and Malkin (credit to both) resolve the issue and tension.  Sestito knows he is now useless.  He said before the game he knows he wasnt called up for his scoring.  He's all geeked up looking for something.  He begs Thorbs to fight- the type of fights the NHL supposedly wants to eliminate.  While the Linesman takes ten minutes to drop the puck, Sestito is practically jumping out of his skin and could have been called right there if they wanted to muzzle him.

He waives off the linesmen in the fight because he's desperate to "show" off to the Pens coaches.  And then he skates around looking to make an impact and finds a target in Toby.

That's the kind of game that should see a player never again play a second in the NHL.  At worst he should receive a lengthy suspension.  And if the NHL was serious they'd suspect the HC too and fine the team.  They called him up to do that very thing and then did not manage the player during the game.  That's ridiculous.

And I bet the NHL doesnt even suspend Sestito.

And I say this as a big Pens fan.  They're my team after the Jets. 

I sent a text to my buddy last night, saying pretty much exactly this.  If the NHL truly wants to remove this garbage from the game, there should be suspensions and fines for the coach and organization, if you want to call up a cement head and he goes out and hurts someone, with a clearly illegal hit, you'll pay for it.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Maurice should step up to the mic and bury the NHL and Pens over this. And Chipman should gladly pay the fine. 

Because lets be honest, the root cause of this was a hit by Malkin that should have resulted in a suspension.

What's he going to say? PoMo runs Thorbs out and Poluso (until this season) out.

The NHL doesn't care about player safety and neither does the NLHPA. That leaves PoMo sounding ridiculous if he complains.

Edited by JCon

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

What's he going to say? PoMo runs Thorbs out and Poluso (until this season) out.

The NHL doesn't care about player safety and neither does the NLHPA. That leaves PoMo sounding ridiculous if he complains.

Thorbs doesnt do what Sesito did.  Pens' excuse is that they were concerned the Jets would take liberties so they called up a goon.  Well, Jets have more class as Wheeler showed.  The second Wheeler and Malkin fought, Sesito had zero reason to play the rest of the game.  The Head Coach should be suspended for that.  They didnt manage their player.

The NHL is to blame.  They didnt suspend Malkin.  They do nothing about goons who are called up for one reason only.  They do nothing about the staged fights.  And now Toby's face is smashed in.  If the Jets had the same level of class as the Pens, someone would have elbowed Crosby in the skull.  Bet the NHL would notice that.

Its the NHL's fault.  Let's see if they actually do something.  Wanna bet they do nothing?

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Thorbs doesnt do what Sesito did.  Pens' excuse is that they were concerned the Jets would take liberties so they called up a goon.  Well, Jets have more class as Wheeler showed.  The second Wheeler and Malkin fought, Sesito had zero reason to play the rest of the game.  The Head Coach should be suspended for that.  They didnt manage their player.

The NHL is to blame.  They didnt suspend Malkin.  They do nothing about goons who are called up for one reason only.  They do nothing about the staged fights.  And now Toby's face is smashed in.  If the Jets had the same level of class as the Pens, someone would have elbowed Crosby in the skull.  Bet the NHL would notice that.

Its the NHL's fault.  Let's see if they actually do something.  Wanna bet they do nothing?

NHLPA is equally complicit.

NHL/NHLPA won't do anything. Never do.

And I disagree about Thorbs. Two skilled players sat because these two goons needed to have their fight.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

NHLPA is equally complicit.

NHL/NHLPA won't do anything. Never do.

And I disagree about Thorbs. Two skilled players sat because these two goons needed to have their fight.

Yeah and if Thorbs was the answer, Maurice had the wrong question.  Thorbs will always answer the bell but he doesnt "enforce" and he doesnt intimidate.  All he does is staged fights, which are pointless.  I like the emotion, like when Scheif jumps a guy for a bad hit or Copp jumping on Tostito last night.  But that little prick was trying to make an impact and he had no business being out there.

In a world where Bettman pretends that CTE isnt a thing, they allow a player to get his head blasted and do nothing, setting the stage for the same team to call up a goon to gave in another player's head.  Ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Petan has 12 points in 43 games and is both soft and terrible defensively. I agree with Maurice that Thorburn offers the team more than Petan does right now.

Petan should be in the AHL playing top six minutes.

15 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Petan has 12 points in 43 games and is both soft and terrible defensively. I agree with Maurice that Thorburn offers the team more than Petan does right now.

Petan should be in the AHL playing top six minutes.

Thorbs has 4 in 51?

Thorbs does nothing but takes up a roster spot.

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

Thorbs has 4 in 51?

Thorbs does nothing but takes up a roster spot.

So we agree neither guy adds much offense. Unfortunately for Petan, if he's not adding offense he's a liability. If nothing else, at least Thorburn is big and a decent skater so he can throw his weight around.

I'll qualify this argument about the two of them by saying I think we should be able to do better than either one of them.

Edited by sweep the leg

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

So we agree neither guy adds much offense. Unfortunately for Petan, if he's not adding offense he's a liability. If nothing else, at least Thorburn is big and can throw his weight around.

I'll qualify this argument about the two of them by saying I think we should be able to do better than either one of them.

But Petan is not learning a thing by sitting upstairs (IMO). He would be better served dressing and being on the ice, or better yet, down with the Moose getting more minutes.

Someone else can come up and contribute. Why not Lemieux? Not like he's getting a ton of ice time with the Moose. Let's give him a taste of NHL.