Chris Jones Signs Vince Young: Brilliant or Desperate?

BigBlue

Is this 12 signed QB's?

" Riders - Quarterbacks...
Recruits - Jacob Huesman, BJ Coleman, Vad Lee, and Phillip Sims,
QBs that came from other teams -
Bryant Moniz and GJ Kinne. Mitch Gale came from a trade with Toronto. 
Brandon Bridge, salvaged after Montreal cut him 
Waters came in a trade from Hamilton.
former Bomber QB Bryan Bennett. 
Kevin Glenn Free Agent 
Vince Young, very Free Agent - the Rider Prophet "

how do you run a camp like that?

17 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Is this 12 signed QB's?

Kevin Glenn Free Agent 

You call in Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey.

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

Is this 12 signed QB's?

Kevin Glenn Free Agent 

I think these are just all the QBs since Jones arrived.  The only ones under contract are Glenn, Young, Bridge, Kinne, and Bennett.  I know Gale, Moniz and Waters are no longer with the Riders.  I don't recognize a few of the names, maybe they are just mini-camp arms with a chance to get signed.

48 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think these are just all the QBs since Jones arrived.  The only ones under contract are Glenn, Young, Bridge, Kinne, and Bennett.  I know Gale, Moniz and Waters are no longer with the Riders.  I don't recognize a few of the names, maybe they are just mini-camp arms with a chance to get signed.

really ... something sane?

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Other than past performance, his age, time away from the game, and off field judgement.......plenty of upside here

Let's just assume for a moment that VY was put in stasis for the last 5 years, so he didn't age and didn't get into trouble. Standing only on his past performance is still questionable. He was given every opportunity to make it work in the NFL and failed. Why would it be different in the CFL? His arm going to get better? His decision making going to get better?

I can't believe I'm still talking about this non-factor.

On 3/15/2017 at 1:14 PM, Atomic said:

Yeah dont think they are bringing 12 into camp like the als. Running 5 with one guy only getting coffee is tough. More then 5 is nuts. Just not enough reps to evaluate, get people in the groove etc.  An extra guy just to throw passes in mini camp doesnt hurt, though thats done semi regularly by coaches, visiting coaches, etc 

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Riders fans have 220 page thread on Young, and a 140 pager on Franklin.    The wishful thinking is strong.

2 kinds of football teams. Ones that are comfortable with their qb situation, and teams frantically trying to get a comfortable set up. Didnt we have one like that last year with people raging that we didnt get harris/collaros, etc?

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Let's just assume for a moment that VY was put in stasis for the last 5 years, so he didn't age and didn't get into trouble. Standing only on his past performance is still questionable. He was given every opportunity to make it work in the NFL and failed. Why would it be different in the CFL? His arm going to get better? His decision making going to get better?

I can't believe I'm still talking about this non-factor.

Qbs are not very interchangeable cfl - nfl and back. Ricky ray couldnt cut it down south. danny mac, hank etc etc. And the offensive style gap only widens. Older qbs with experience do seem to improve decision making and throw selection. Damon allen, and AC come quickly to mind. Time off / out of position can help as well as in kerry joseph.

That said his deficiencies arent likely to have improved, and his passing skill set doesnt project favorably. Is he a worth while sign? sure. worth a lot of money? no. High risk pick up, not sure if hes still high reward or not. He could be low risk high reward if used sparingly in a wild cat esq package + goal line formation but i dont see that happening. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Is he a worth while sign? sure.

No.  In 2017 he is as worthwhile a signing as Casey Printers would be.  That's another guy who was the bees knees a decade ago.

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

High risk pick up, not sure if hes still high reward or not. He could be low risk high reward if used sparingly in a wild cat esq package + goal line formation but i dont see that happening. 

It's a no risk pickup because the only tangible cost to them is a roster spot.  If you believe the part about no signing bonus, which is tough.

On the intangible side, the Young signing is high embarrassment/low dignity.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Imagine if it actually works and the Riders are good this year with Young as their QB.  I don't think I could take it.

Imagine if Nichols goes down due to injury and the Bombers suck again. Anything can happen. I don't understand why yall think your QB situation is miles ahead of the Riders. 

32 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

Imagine if Nichols goes down due to injury and the Bombers suck again. Anything can happen. I don't understand why yall think your QB situation is miles ahead of the Riders. 

If you head into the 2017 season with Young/Glenn/Bridge as your QB stable,  it's not just the bombers miles ahead of you,  the entire league will be too

10 hours ago, Kluchk said:

who's your qb for the foreseeable future?.......that's why. You have on vet who you've signed for the 3rd time now. And a bunch of question marks behind him. Nichols might not be a world beater, but he's brought stability to the position. Davis and Lefevour have both been in the league for a while now and Lefevour has proven he can get it done when the circumstances are right. Davis has the up side of being in the same system.

The Riders don't have any of that. Just Kevin Glenn. Who like I said is making his 3rd appearance as a Rider (recycle, reduce, reuse), say what you want about our situation. But you're legit insane if you think the bombers & riders are close in the qb department - as it stands right now.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

who's your qb for the foreseeable future?.......that's why. You have on vet who you've signed for the 3rd time now. And a bunch of question marks behind him. Nichols might not be a world beater, but he's brought stability to the position. Davis and Lefevour have both been in the league for a while now and Lefevour has proven he can get it done when the circumstances are right. Davis has the up side of being in the same system.

The Riders don't have any of that. Just Kevin Glenn. Who like I said is making his 3rd appearance as a Rider (recycle, reduce, reuse), say what you want about our situation. But you're legit insane if you think the bombers & riders are close in the qb department - as it stands right now.

Exactly.

No continuity in Regina. So, the Bombers are miles ahead. Even the Argos are ahead.