Game 72 : Wild @ 11 Games Left

17 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And they get a standing ovation. This same group will be great next season. No issues to see here. Get those season ticket renewals in. 

We'll let this slide as just in the moment frustration.

I know you're not suggesting buying season tickets = unwavering support of the people in charge. 

Those 13K who are there every home game aren't your enemy.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

We'll let this slide as just in the moment frustration.

I know you're not suggesting buying season tickets = unwavering support of the people in charge. 

Those 13K who are there every home game aren't your enemy.

Frustration, yes.  Just a general observation that had I been at the game, my reaction wouldn't have been a standing ovation.  Winnipeg is often said to be overly critical because we're a hockey market.  But my point was, we are the opposite.  We're easy.  Standing ovation for that effort.  The drooling masses (of which I am one) see the Jets "came back" from a 4 goal advantage to hang on for victory and its to be applauded. 

That says to management that there is no pressure here to divert from their plan.  Im not saying they should be reactive.  But for example, had they picked up a goalie in December and/or a D man in January, we might be in the playoffs.  If they go into next season and start with a 10 game losing streak, its still "on course" for the draft and develop.

This season deserves, not a standing ovation, but resounding boo's.  Staying true to your youth is one thing.  Not making moves to plug holes and provide support is something else.  The Jets did nothing at all this year, absolutely nothing, to shore up areas of concern.  They allowed the ship to sink when they saw water beginning to leak in.

And the GM comes out and says he's ready to give the coach an extension.  Any other market and that coach is long since fired.

The Assistant Coach most responsible for the D who has been here from day one and, coincidentally the D has been a concern since day one, is still here.

The assistant coach responsible for coaching and preparing the goalies who has been here from day one and, coincidentally, the goalies have been a concern since day one AND have, in fact, shown regression in every single goalie is still here.

We started the season down a key D man.  He came back by Myers went down.  Buff was having one of his off-years.  We all saw it.  No effort made to shore up D.  And there were options.

They actually turned to the exiled Pavs to shore up goaltending and that didnt work...yet they did nothing.  And there were options.

If the plan is to cross their fingers, take the same route to work every day and hope for the best, then we're in trouble.  No one wants reactive decisions or panic.  But there a lot of space between panic and measured.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Frustration, yes.  Just a general observation that had I been at the game, my reaction wouldn't have been a standing ovation.  Winnipeg is often said to be overly critical because we're a hockey market.  But my point was, we are the opposite.  We're easy.  Standing ovation for that effort.  The drooling masses (of which I am one) see the Jets "came back" from a 4 goal advantage to hang on for victory and its to be applauded. 

That says to management that there is no pressure here to divert from their plan.  Im not saying they should be reactive.  But for example, had they picked up a goalie in December and/or a D man in January, we might be in the playoffs.  If they go into next season and start with a 10 game losing streak, its still "on course" for the draft and develop.

This season deserves, not a standing ovation, but resounding boo's.  Staying true to your youth is one thing.  Not making moves to plug holes and provide support is something else.  The Jets did nothing at all this year, absolutely nothing, to shore up areas of concern.  They allowed the ship to sink when they saw water beginning to leak in.

And what does that have to do with the players?

I'm not going to boo the players. They're not, as a whole, good enough. But the roster that was out there, even in all of it's unskilled Mark Stuary glory, busted their collective ass last night to go up 4-0 and then to close it out at the end with a 6 on 4 penalty kill. Call me naïve. To an extent, I am. But I'm not going to blame guys like Adam Lowry and Josh Morrissey who are out there laying their bodies on the line for the inactivity of Chevy and his front office.

Just now, Mike said:

And what does that have to do with the players?

I'm not going to boo the players. They're not, as a whole, good enough. But the roster that was out there, even in all of it's unskilled Mark Stuary glory, busted their collective ass last night to go up 4-0 and then to close it out at the end with a 6 on 4 penalty kill. Call me naïve. To an extent, I am. But I'm not going to blame guys like Adam Lowry and Josh Morrissey who are out there laying their bodies on the line for the inactivity of Chevy and his front office.

I'd agree if the perspective is that fan reaction is solely a judge of the effort or result of the players on the ice.  But its not a foreign concept for fans to react to the over-all franchise direction. 

When the fans boo and players are asked its not like they are taking it personally.  You're reacting to the product on the ice which isnt just the players.  I dont know Blake Wheeler personally so my reaction isnt whether he's a nice guy or not.  Its his effort that day and the team as a whole.  And the team as a whole sucks.

Some people liked the effort in that game more than I did.  I didnt watch the whole game live.  But I didnt like it.  I would not have been applauding.  I would have been shaking my head at this team.

Which is not to say the fans cant react anyway they want.  Fans often get lambasted for boo'ing.  Fans pay, they can cheer or boo however they want.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I'd agree if the perspective is that fan reaction is solely a judge of the effort or result of the players on the ice.  But its not a foreign concept for fans to react to the over-all franchise direction. 

When the fans boo and players are asked its not like they are taking it personally.  You're reacting to the product on the ice which isnt just the players.  I dont know Blake Wheeler personally so my reaction isnt whether he's a nice guy or not.  Its his effort that day and the team as a whole.  And the team as a whole sucks.

Some people liked the effort in that game more than I did.  I didnt watch the whole game live.  But I didnt like it.  I would not have been applauding.  I would have been shaking my head at this team.

Which is not to say the fans cant react anyway they want.  Fans often get lambasted for boo'ing.  Fans pay, they can cheer or boo however they want.

I wouldn't shake my head at the entire team. Having been there live, I'd shake my head at a guy like Nic Petan who was a -2 with a 17% success rate in the circle. I'd shake my head at a guy like Mark Stuart who was literally almost single handedly responsible for 3 goals. I'd shake my head at Connor Hellebuyck for letting in a couple of softies.

But no way am I going to shake my head at a guy like Josh Morrissey who went +3 with the game winning goal in a buttload of icetime ... as a rookie.

Our team isn't bad. It's very skilled. It's just being sunk by a bunch of weak links.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

I wouldn't shake my head at the entire team. Having been there live, I'd shake my head at a guy like Nic Petan who was a -2 with a 17% success rate in the circle. I'd shake my head at a guy like Mark Stuart who was literally almost single handedly responsible for 3 goals. I'd shake my head at Connor Hellebuyck for letting in a couple of softies.

But no way am I going to shake my head at a guy like Josh Morrissey who went +3 with the game winning goal in a buttload of icetime ... as a rookie.

Our team isn't bad. It's very skilled. It's just being sunk by a bunch of weak links.

Well I think the point is we have to start be critical of weak coaching and possibly a weak Gm. If Chevy rewards PM with a multi year contract after this type of year where is the accountability? If he does should not Chevy be accountable as well if PM fails?

25 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Well I think the point is we have to start be critical of weak coaching and possibly a weak Gm. If Chevy rewards PM with a multi year contract after this type of year where is the accountability? If he does should not Chevy be accountable as well if PM fails?

I'm very critical of our coaching staff. I think they're terrible. I just don't support booing the players because of it.

I'll boo the players when THEY deserve it.

There's also a difference between watching a game on TV vs. being there in the arena. 

I've too been pretty vocal about lots of things I don't like about the Jets and their management this season.

But yesterday we were there for a game, not a roundtable on the state of the Jets.   Wild fans came in huge numbers and I for one was VERY happy for the W and to send them home unhappy. 

Think of Banjo Bowls in down years for the Bombers.  Cheering on the B&G wasn't a vote of confidence in mgmt, it was cheering on the Wpg team to beat the banjo pickers from SK - that's it, that's all.   Same thing applies here, IMO.  

I wouldn't have given a standing ovation either.  I was incensed (but not surprised) the team gave up a 4 goal lead, but with that AHL level D we had along with bad Helle showing up it was almost inevitable.  I'm glad we pulled ahead in the 3rd but those final 3 minutes were ridiculous.  Yes I'm proud of the effort the players put in but we had no business holding that lead to the very end.  From Buff's baffling and very bad penalty to our utter inability to even TOUCH the puck during that final penalty kill, by all rights Minny should have tied it up easily.  We got lucky and I'm not too proud to take it. But as TUP pointed out our D shouldn't have been allowed to get to the point of playing the guys we had to in the first place.  Moves could have been made all season but weren't.  And it's too late now.  Same with the coaching.  I really hope once the expansion draft is done Chevy will address our weaknesses.  No excuses anymore especially when teams like Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto have surpassed us in the standings even though they were in worse shape than we were over the past couple of years (yeah yeah McDavid and Matthews skew things but one player does not a team make).

The coaches, GM and the owner also hear the boos.  And they bear as much if not more of it than the players.  My ire is pointed at Maurice, Chevy and Chipman.  They've had enough time to build a good team.  Our forward depth is fine.  Now fix the D and goaltending depth.  And the assistant coaches while you're at it.

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm very critical of our coaching staff. I think they're terrible. I just don't support booing the players because of it.

I'll boo the players when THEY deserve it.

The players have routinely deserved it this season.  Not all of them.  But its hard to cheer for some and boo others and have them know it.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

ALso, reason I "challenged" your comment TUP is because it seemed close to the old "don't like the direction of your team, don't buy tickets" theory.

Well in theory I have no issue with that.  If I dont like Subway, I dont buy their product.  If they improve their product, Ill try it again.  The Jets are in no risk of leaving so it doesnt matter.  There is always someone else willing to buy your tickets.  But if someone said they werent going to renew because the team wasnt good enough and they didnt like the effort by management, I cant fault them.  That's their prerogative.

I keep watching though.  Nothing that happens now matters anyway.  But I just dont them to win a few and we all get excited about how good they are.  They arent.  And being one year older isnt going to make all the difference, in my opinion.  I mean, yeah I could be wrong.  Having all their D healthy is going to be better.  Its just frustrating. 

I think coaching is the biggest issue along with goaltending.  And we're going to reward the coaches.  I dont like that.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I'd shake my head at a guy like Mark Stuart who was literally almost single handedly responsible for 3 goals. I'd shake my head at Connor Hellebuyck for letting in a couple of softies.

Gotta defend Stu. In addition to the two softies, that mixup behind the net that led to a goal was also on Helle imo. He was way too indecisive with the puck and the dmen had no idea what he was going to do. 

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Gotta defend Stu. In addition to the two softies, that mixup behind the net that led to a goal was also on Helle imo. He was way too indecisive with the puck and the dmen had no idea what he was going to do. 

Not an uncommon occurrence this season.

58 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Hellebuyck had the puck on his forehand and looked like he'd be moving it to Chairot.  Helle absolutely biffed that one first.

Stuart half-biffed it second, as his reaction to that play was no better than mine (I don't play in the NHL).

That said, Stuart has been oddly unable to stay on his feet lately.  His legs keep doing this weird Bambi-on-ice buckling when he tries to change direction.  That is not something that was previously on his list of issues.

3 hours ago, mbrg said:

Hellebuyck had the puck on his forehand and looked like he'd be moving it to Chairot.  Helle absolutely biffed that one first.

Stuart half-biffed it second, as his reaction to that play was no better than mine (I don't play in the NHL).

That said, Stuart has been oddly unable to stay on his feet lately.  His legs keep doing this weird Bambi-on-ice buckling when he tries to change direction.  That is not something that was previously on his list of issues.

Yeah, I've noticed that too.  Stuart has been straight up awful.