Game 73 : Flyers @ 10 Games Left

22 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Can't hurt to give Nogier a look at this point.  At least at 20 you figure he's got room to grow and get better.

Sadly I think we know what Chairot, Postma & Melchiori are at this point, and it ain't that great. 

I don't mind Chiarot.  He's a fine 3rd-pairing defenceman, IMO.

Nogier still has lots of potential but to throw him into the fire right now while he's still a rookie.... could be some rough moments and I'd hate for that to follow him into his sophomore year.  He's a good player but now isn't the right time.  I hope they don't have to use him.

13 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Ideally, maybe not.  But, with the injuries on the back end, I'm not sure how they don't.

Buff will be near 30, Morrissey will likely play the highest minutes of his career.  Melchiori has earned some trust playing with Buff and Strait surprisingly acquitted himself quite well with Morrissey.  Buff (30), Morrissey (25), Melchiori (24), Strait (20), Stuart (12), Nogier (9).  Might see something along those lines.

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

I don't mind Chiarot.  He's a fine 3rd-pairing defenceman, IMO.

The more awesome a player gets, the bigger the contract he'll demand and the more icetime he'll want.  If your #6 defenceman is putting up 30 points a season he's probably going to arbitration and he's probably going to win, and then he's probably wrecking your cap plan and you probably have to move him.

Competence, reliability, keeping an even plus/minus and the ability to eat up 12-15 minutes of icetime per night is the butter zone for a 3rd pairing.  Chiarot is pretty close to this.