CFL Week

JCon

CFL Week

So, it's the inaugural CFL Week. Does this resonate with anyone? I'm excited to see the increased attention on the CFL and to see the reactions to the combine (non-tractor edition) but I'm not really 'feeling' the CFL Week thing.

I'm sure, if it were in Winnipeg, I would be more interested and attending events.

Here are just a couple of the events taking place:

CFL FanFest

Mar 21, 2017 - Mar 25, 2017
Evraz Place, Saskatchewan

Free Event

This FREE five-day event is packed with events for all fans and families—with autograph signings, Q&As with CFL players, photo-ops with the Grey Cup, artifacts from our football past at the Canadian Football Hall of Fame travelling exhibit, a Skills Zone packed with drills and activities, and so much more!

It’s a celebration for fans like you, and we’d love for you to join us. All events are free, while food and drink will be available for purchase at the FanCave (beer garden).

Get up close to the players and coaches, including:

• CFL player panels and interviews
  • Catch Facebook Live interviews with players
  • Autograph signing stage

Play games and test your skills in our Skills Centre:

• Kal Tire QB Kontest
  • Extra Point Challenge
  • Wilson X Passing Challenge

There will also be an area specific for our future stars:

• BOKS Fitness Course
  • Colouring Tables
  • Graffiti Wall
  • Future Stars Zone

Canada West Passing Showcase

Mar 26, 2017 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM

FREE EVENT

Up for a little friendly competition? The CFL is bringing together four teams from the U Sports Canada West conference for a round-robin tournament. The teams will face off in a fast-paced, high-scoring, passing-focused event.

Plus they have flag football, you be the ref, etc.

I think this is an absolutely great thing for the CFL.  We're getting CFL articles written in March, there will be some coverage on SportsCentre I'm sure.  More attention to the league is always a good thing.  The Combine is finally being presented as a "big deal".  Good stuff all around.  And as much as I hate to say it, Regina is the right spot for this because the interest will be there from the local fans.

30 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think this is an absolutely great thing for the CFL.  We're getting CFL articles written in March, there will be some coverage on SportsCentre I'm sure.  More attention to the league is always a good thing.  The Combine is finally being presented as a "big deal".  Good stuff all around.  And as much as I hate to say it, Regina is the right spot for this because the interest will be there from the local fans.

100%.  7 years from now CFL week might be a really big deal.  Or it might not, but this seems like the best launch the CFL could manage given, well, it's the CFL.  A solid first step.

Starting in Regina is definitely the right move.

I wonder if they'll move it East next year, with Hamilton or Ottawa being natural choices. Perhaps Ottawa may have some CFL fatigue at that point.

There are a lot of players in Regina this week. I was surprised how many are being brought in.

I bet we see more traffic at MBB this week with the increased media attention.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

It feels like Grey Cup Week in March, which, on the surface, seems really stupid..... But..... Attention during the off-season is a good thing, I suppose... 

So here's the question I have - is the NFL combine a destination event for fans?  Are there twenty guys coming up from Tampa to hang out in Indianapolis every year?  What are the reasonable expectations long-term for an event like this?

6 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

The public I don't think is invited to the combine but the NFL makes there draft into a event like this.

You can go but it's sold out. Free event.

2017 CFL Combine Presented By Adidas

Mar 23, 2017 - Mar 25, 2017

Can’t make it? The CFL Combine will be live streamed on CFL.ca and Facebook including the Bench Press, The 40-Yard Dash & 1-on-1 Drills.  Visit our Facebook Page and subscribe to Live Notifications to not miss a single broadcast.

See more than 50 young football players face off for a spot in the CFL. Coaches and decision-makers form all nine CFL teams will be there to evaluate players from U Sports and NCAA in advance of the CFL draft. It’s like the most intense job interview you’ve ever seen. Don’t miss:

WESTERN REGIONAL COMBINE

Free Event

Thursday, March 23, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Top prospects will participate in a series of drills at the Western Regional Combine. Jump in for this action-packed event.

SOLD OUT

NATIONAL COMBINE: BENCH PRESS

Free Event

Friday, March 24, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Watch prospects press 225 pounds—for as many consecutive reps possible. Scouts will get insight into a player’s strength, endurance and resilience.

SOLD OUT

NATIONAL COMBINE: 40-YARD DASH, SHUTTLE & 3 CONE

Free Event

Saturday, March 25, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Three back-to-back events show players’ potential for speed (40-yard dash), agility (3 Cone) and quickness (Short Shuttle or 5-10-5).

SOLD OUT

NATIONAL COMBINE: POSITIONAL DRILLS & 1-ON-1S

Free Event

Saturday, March 25, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

This event includes Individual Positional Drills and One-on-Ones—where players go head to head.

SOLD OUT

44 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Seeing friends so will be a good time. Lived in Regina for 8 years not as bad as people make it out except for the Riders.

Yeah, see I just don't think I could do it. Seriously. I take my CFL ball too seriously and wouldn't be able to deal with them on a day to day basis. I have had job offers in the past...Regina and Yorkton.....and I just don't think I could ever handle it.

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

scouts have already complaining about fans being allowed in...they'd prefer less attention on things. Quieter atmosphere for evaluating. We'll see how it goes...

That's why the CFL has to change its attitude about a lot of things. They wonder why stadiums are half empty. Fans need to be engaged & not just be expected to buy tickets. The CFL & TSN have to present much better draft coverage instead of that poor excuse for a show that they give us now.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's why the CFL has to change its attitude about a lot of things. They wonder why stadiums are half empty. Fans need to be engaged & not just be expected to buy tickets. The CFL & TSN have to present much better draft coverage instead of that poor excuse for a show that they give us now.

I don't know.... the CFL draft will always be a tough sell because the players generally don't come in and become stars, except in very limited cases.  The best of the draft end up as linemen... it's very rare to find a player coming in at a skill position and making an impact.  So to most fans, it's like.... who cares?  Tough to get excited about right guards and special teamers, no matter how much coverage of the draft there is.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I don't know.... the CFL draft will always be a tough sell because the players generally don't come in and become stars, except in very limited cases.  The best of the draft end up as linemen... it's very rare to find a player coming in at a skill position and making an impact.  So to most fans, it's like.... who cares?  Tough to get excited about right guards and special teamers, no matter how much coverage of the draft there is.

And, to add, that these players are not stars coming into the league. There is so much attention around college football in the US, a lot of the players are known to the fans. Heisman trophy, College Playoffs, etc, all add to the hype.

Really, how many Bomber fans pay attention to the U Sports (CIS) to know any of the names being drafted?

I'm starting to "feel" this more, now that all the players are getting to Regina. I'm amazed at how many players are there. Wow. I'm looking forward to hearing more stories and I'm looking forward to this being in Winnipeg in a few years.

Looks like a fun event:

Matt Nichols is trying to be serious. Really, really trying.

He’s standing in front of a Canadian Football League backdrop extolling the virtues of the inaugural get together dubbed ‘CFL Week’ and life as the Winnipeg Blue Bombers starting quarterback, when friend-foe-new father Bo Levi Mitchell steps between two reporters and holds a baby diaper up to his face like a microphone.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/03/21/markscflweek-day-one/

5 hours ago, JCon said:

And, to add, that these players are not stars coming into the league. There is so much attention around college football in the US, a lot of the players are known to the fans. Heisman trophy, College Playoffs, etc, all add to the hype.

Really, how many Bomber fans pay attention to the U Sports (CIS) to know any of the names being drafted?

TSN doesn't help when it televises the first round then goes online for the remainder of the draft. The majority of fans can't get the feed like last year. All the broadcaster can spare is an hour??? Or why don't they televise the CFL Awards the week of the Grey Cup. TSN is Mickey Mouse when it comes to a lot of the league's coverage. At least I feel this way. The CFL brings in a lot of revenue & TSN ignores it other than the games.

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

TSN doesn't help when it televises the first round then goes online for the remainder of the draft. The majority of fans can't get the feed like last year. All the broadcaster can spare is an hour??? Or why don't they televise the CFL Awards the week of the Grey Cup. TSN is Mickey Mouse when it comes to a lot of the league's coverage. At least I feel this way. The CFL brings in a lot of revenue & TSN ignores it other than the games.

If this was true, TSN would be televising a lot more.....clearly, that "a lot of revenue" doesn't apply to TSN broadcasts of CFL events...

Just now, Noeller said:

If this was true, TSN would be televising a lot more.....clearly, that "a lot of revenue" doesn't apply to TSN broadcasts of CFL events...

Thing is, TSN lost the NHL. Without the CFL they'd be televising chess matches & lawn bowling. I would hope the CFL wises up for their next tv contract & allows other broadcasters to bid. I'd like to see the games split over a couple of networks.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thing is, TSN lost the NHL. Without the CFL they'd be televising chess matches & lawn bowling. I would hope the CFL wises up for their next tv contract & allows other broadcasters to bid. I'd like to see the games split over a couple of networks.

I'm not disagreeing with your general premise that I'd love to see more CFL on TV, but the point remains, CFL clearly isn't a big seller for TSN, otherwise they would do as much as they can. It's a real shame, but for whatever reason (maybe ratings aren't enough??) the sponsors don't want to get behind the league in a big enough way to make it financially worthwhile for TSN...

7 hours ago, Atomic said:

I really wonder if it would be worth it for the CFL to reinstate the 'marquee player' idea but limit it to nationals...  then at least you are competitive with the NFL for your elite Canadian talent...  like would a team consider drafting Justin Senior or Anthony Auclair if they could compete with the NFL and sign him for $300-350k?

Muamba and Laing are probably still with their draft teams if they're at least in the ball park of NFL minimum...  maybe bombers really look at Auclair or Herdman