Game 75 : 8 Games Left @ Ducks

1516JETS017_MTSCentre-VS-Graphics_620x33

Game Time : Friday 9

Game Story : After waving the white flag yesterday the Jets put it away for another game

Tragic Number : 5

Local Celebrity of the Game Quote : Leo Fender - If something is easy to repair, it is easy to construct.

What the Jets are playing for...

CLEZTOH.jpg

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

18 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think it's become clear that Hellebuyck is a bum.  Priority 1 this offseason is finding a starting goalie.

I disagree fully with your first statement.... but agree completely with your second statement...

I think Hellebuyck has shown he has the skill but struggles with consistency... the more I think about it, the more I really, really, really would like a new coaching staff new year... If we can bring in a goalie to play 50-55 games and have Hellebuyck play the rest, hopefully with a new goalie coach, I think we may still have a future starter on our hands... 

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I disagree fully with your first statement.... but agree completely with your second statement...

I think Hellebuyck has shown he has the skill but struggles with consistency... the more I think about it, the more I really, really, really would like a new coaching staff new year... If we can bring in a goalie to play 50-55 games and have Hellebuyck play the rest, hopefully with a new goalie coach, I think we may still have a future starter on our hands... 

We may have a future starter but his name ain't Hellebuyck, it's Comrie.  And he's not ready.  So we have some room to sign a starter for some money and term.  Sure, Helle can backup (so could any number of other goalies).  Best goalie coach in the world isn't fixing that kid.  He is a career backup.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

We may have a future starter but his name ain't Hellebuyck, it's Comrie.  And he's not ready.  So we have some room to sign a starter for some money and term.  Sure, Helle can backup (so could any number of other goalies).  Best goalie coach in the world isn't fixing that kid.  He is a career backup.

Why the Comrie love? Hellebuyck has definitely outperformed Comrie in their junior and AHL careers.
The only thing Comrie has on Helle is draft position but so what. That said, Chevy has to find a way to shore up the position next year. Hopefully we can sign a FA like Darling to take the load off and possibly steal the job. 

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You could be correct, I'm not saying you are wrong... I just disagree that it's "clear Hellebuyck is a bum"...

10 minutes ago, Judd said:

Why the Comrie love? Hellebuyck has definitely outperformed Comrie in their junior and AHL careers.
The only thing Comrie has on Helle is draft position but so what. That said, Chevy has to find a way to shore up the position next year. Hopefully we can sign a FA like Darling to take the load off and possibly steal the job. 

What love?  I just haven't ruled him out as a potential future starter.

Helle has shown enough not to give up on him.  If the Jets insist on keeping Nice Guy Flaherty then they might as well bite the bullet and try and bring in Carey Price because they'll need it.

Helle has regressed.  Hutch has regressed.  And Pavs had one season where he got better and every other season was at least equally poor if not regressed.  What is the common denominator?  Flaherty.

I think Hellebuyck should be given one more season to solidify himself. 

Trouba sat 20(ish) games, Little out for over 2 months, Myers missing 70 games, 30 games in 62 nights. Jets were behind the 8 ball right off the hop. 
Not to mention Buff has had an off year and we've been playing and AHL d for 2 weeks now effecting everyone's performance. 

Helle hasn't done himself too many favours, but he's at .906 on the year with just a shitstorm of a team this year in his first year as a starter. Patience is wearing thin amongst the fanbase, but there is definitely reason to think that Helle could continue his progression. 

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Helle has shown enough not to give up on him.  If the Jets insist on keeping Nice Guy Flaherty then they might as well bite the bullet and try and bring in Carey Price because they'll need it.

Helle has regressed.  Hutch has regressed.  And Pavs had one season where he got better and every other season was at least equally poor if not regressed.  What is the common denominator?  Flaherty.

The common denominator is that none of them are really that good.  I don't have an opinion one way or another on Flaherty but I think you are overestimating the impact of a goalie coach.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The common denominator is that none of them are really that good.  I don't have an opinion one way or another on Flaherty but I think you are overestimating the impact of a goalie coach.

Maybe.  But other teams, when they are developing a goalie, have made changes at coach to find the right coach for their goalie, not keep changing goalie to find the right one for their coach.

Helle's weaknesses are obvious.  So maybe he just sucks and cant learn.  But his issues have manifested since being in the NHL and he's regressed.  Just like other Jets' goalies.

We've seen other teams and other goalies who rave about a new goalie coach coming in and/or credit a specific coach with helping them. 

I think its nuts that we havent made changes in the staff to try and get the most out of the players we have.  If getting rid of Flaherty makes us worse then it implies that position IS critical.  If he has no bearing, then its nothing lost in trying. 

If Flaherty is here next season, the Jets management just isnt trying.  And Maurice should be asked specifically about this.

I'd have no problem with hiring a new goalie coach and I agree that it's silly to give up on quality prospects without at least seeing if a new coach can help.  But if you think Flaherty hasn't tried to coach Hellebuyck's shitty glove-hand out of him I think you're mistaken... I just can't fathom a pro goalie coach being that blind.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I'd have no problem with hiring a new goalie coach and I agree that it's silly to give up on quality prospects without at least seeing if a new coach can help.  But if you think Flaherty hasn't tried to coach Hellebuyck's shitty glove-hand out of him I think you're mistaken... I just can't fathom a pro goalie coach being that blind.

I assume he has.  I assume he's not been able to succeed.  So either Helle cant be fixed or the coach cant fix him.  I'd rather try a new coach before giving up on the player.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Read earlier this season that Helle's NCAA goalie coach was the influence for him to keep his glove hand low... part of the big and boring thing.  

I think the glove hand isn't as much of a problem if Helle comes out more to cut the angles.  I think that might be Flaherty's influence, none of the Jets goalies really challenge the shooter.

Comrie just got shelled and then pulled in the Moose game last night... I think he's a ways away from NHL...

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Read earlier this season that Helle's NCAA goalie coach was the influence for him to keep his glove hand low... part of the big and boring thing.  

I think the glove hand isn't as much of a problem if Helle comes out more to cut the angles.  I think that might be Flaherty's influence, none of the Jets goalies really challenge the shooter.

Comrie just got shelled and then pulled in the Moose game last night... I think he's a ways away from NHL...

Thats a good point.  On one of the goals in particular last night I thought he was too far back.  I dont usually notice things like that but it stuck out to me.  But that hand isnt just low, its immobile. 

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

May as well get a look at the pups now

Sad thing is that at this time last year, I felt fine with the 'growing pains' and was still excited to watch the young guys when Petan-Copp-Armia really had chemistry, Helle looked great, Maurice was rolling four lines, Tanev looked like a great fourth liner, Morrissey showed up for one game, Dano and a 1st for Ladd...

It felt like the Jets were close to turning a corner - like that season was a blip.

This season - our D callups are worse than awful, 1st round pick wasted on Stanley, huge questions about Myers and Trouba's future with the club, huge hole in net, Thorburn still wasting space, Stafford for a garbage pick, Lowry getting more ice time than Laine, PK and PP worse than ever

Chevy's taken the 2011 Thrashers... and turned them into the 2011 Oilers.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

season - our D callups are worse than awful, 1st round pick wasted on Stanley, huge questions about Myers and Trouba's future with the club, huge hole in net,

This is a hilarious string of comments.

How is Stanley a wasted pick?

Trouba still has another year and will be an RFA for a few more after that. He may not want to be here but the Jets still control him and can obviously get good assets in return if they dealt him.

We still have two of the highest rated goalie prospects in Helle and Comrie.

In pro sports if you struggle as a team since you can't fire all the players you Fire the coaching staff. 

The fact that there are rumors of an extension for Maurice when we are regressing and showing no signs of life....Says all you need to know. 

If the Jets really cared about Winning Maurice would have been the first or 2nd coach fired this year . 

Goaltending hasn't been great but special teams have been awful. 4 LA goals were special teams related. 

Goaltending is 1 issue but it's 1 issue of quite a few 

Edited by Goalie

45 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is a hilarious string of comments.

How is Stanley a wasted pick?

Trouba still has another year and will be an RFA for a few more after that. He may not want to be here but the Jets still control him and can obviously get good assets in return if they dealt him.

We still have two of the highest rated goalie prospects in Helle and Comrie.

Stanley better pan out, that's a late first and a second for him. Trouba here for min 3 more after this. Have not seen Comrie outside of his couple preseason games which he stunk so not know how he doing now.