Game 78 : Ducks @ 5 Games Left

Whats interesting is, Rick Ralph had a scout on (I think it was yesterday).  I missed most of the conversation so I dont know who the scout was.  But on his draft list, he had Patrick falling to #2.  It was also indicated that Cody Glass is rising, with the insinuation that maybe he could rise into the equation for top pick.

21 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whats interesting is, Rick Ralph had a scout on (I think it was yesterday).  I missed most of the conversation so I dont know who the scout was.  But on his draft list, he had Patrick falling to #2.  It was also indicated that Cody Glass is rising, with the insinuation that maybe he could rise into the equation for top pick.

I heard that one too.

Basically, Nolan hasn't developed in the last year, so will he progress as quickly in the NHL to become a top centre... Hard to say what his injury and surgery did to put him back.

The scout also questioned his drive to improve. That would be a big red flag if I'm a GM.

This could be a Yakupov-sort-of-year.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I heard that one too.

Basically, Nolan hasn't developed in the last year, so will he progress as quickly in the NHL to become a top centre... Hard to say what his injury and surgery did to put him back.

The scout also questioned his drive to improve. That would be a big red flag if I'm a GM.

This could be a Yakupov-sort-of-year.

Who did the scout say was his pick for #1?

Last year I figured Patrick was a definite #1 pick.  After this season I'm not so sure.  He's still top 5 for sure but he's had a subpar season in Brandon this year.  Injuries certainly limited him and the recovery time was extensive, but even when he was in the lineup he didn't really ever seem to elevate his game or those around him like a top pick should.  He couldn't even stay healthly to get into the playoffs (which ended in a sweep on the Wheaties last night :angry:) .  That instance could be blamed on his coach playing him in the next to final game where it would have made no difference having him in the lineup, getting injured and coming back in when he really shouldn't have. 

It seems like with the injuries, all the draft attention and the pressure to be "the man" on his team may have gotten to Patrick, at least on some level.  Hopefully he'll figure things out in the offseason especially after the draft is done with.  I'd say it would be an almost certainty he'll be returned to junior no matter who drafts him.  He isn't generational like a McDavid or Matthews or Laine are, and that's ok since so few are.  And then if he can stay healthy he can tear it up in the WHL next season, much like Sam Steel down the road in Regina did this season after getting drafted in 2016.  Whoever drafts him, there's no need to rush him.

As for the Jets draft options, there are some good players beyond the top 5.  I would love to land a good D prospect like Foote or Valimaki.   Or the Jets may grab a forward instead like Glass or Klostin.  Depends where we end up.  Lots of options and some good players to pick from.  We need a Dman but would a big skilled centreman like Rasmussen be the way to go?  Could be the replacement for Lowry or even Little down the road.

Edited by Brandon Blue&Gold

4 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

As for the Jets draft options, there are some good players beyond the top 5.  I would love to land a good D prospect like Foote or Valimaki.   Or the Jets may grab a forward instead like Glass or Klostin.  Depends where we end up.  Lots of options and some good players to pick from.  We need a Dman but would a big skilled centreman like Rasmussen be the way to go?  Could be the replacement for Lowry or even Little down the road.

If all things are equal, go D.  But if there is a forward who jumps off the page at the Jets' spot, then take the best player.  Trade him for a D who can help now or use him as a package for help now.  Or keep him in the pipeline and trade a forward you can lose now for D help now.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

If all things are equal, go D.  But if there is a forward who jumps off the page at the Jets' spot, then take the best player.  Trade him for a D who can help now or use him as a package for help now.  Or keep him in the pipeline and trade a forward you can lose now for D help now.

True enough.  Looking at a bunch of mock drafts no one seems able to agree on the order of who gets drafted in the top 15.  I guess it will depend on where the Jets pick and which players they are targeting.  The Jets draft board could be very different than what the bloggers or analysts have on theirs.

28 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Hutch to start. Here's hoping we...

A)Win

B)Beat the Ducks for the first time this year

C)Vegas watching game, looking for a #3 goalie

What if, as suggested last night on H&L (via some other random source), the Vegas Strippers take 6 goalies (or any goalies worth more than the forwards/defensemen being offered) and deal them during the summer? They could stockpile a good selection of prospects that way.

Just now, JCon said:

What if, as suggested last night on H&L (via some other random source), the Vegas Strippers take 6 goalies (or any goalies worth more than the forwards/defensemen being offered) and deal them during the summer? They could stockpile a good selection of prospects that way.

I heard that too.  That would be a weird strategy in my opinion.  There seems to be more goalies available then teams in dire need.  Just seems odd that they'd do that.  Unless they basically take advance orders.  Team A wants an available goalie pretty badly so they make a deal with Vegas to snag the goalie and then consummate the trade after.  Seems odd for Vegas to just grab a bunch of goalies without having deals already in place to trade them.

Fleury, if he's not traded before the draft, becomes the prize.  So I could see Vegas taking him and then trading him.  But Fleury would have to consent to being a pawn as he has a NTC.  If you want him, why not deal with the Pens before the draft?

Lists are being made a available and there's no moratorium on Vegas making deals during the draft period.

If I'm the Jets, I look at the lists and make the call to Vegas. Grab goalie A and we'll give you players B & C.

Why make things easy on the Pens? The Pens are stuck right now unless they can make a deal with Vegas to leave Murray. Or, get Fleury to waive his NMC. And, why would he do that at this point?

Jets would then have to leave Helle unprotected and make a deal with Vegas.

There's going to be lots of goalies moving and I'm not sure Fleury is the best choice at this point.

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This expansion process is kind of a gong show...  if teams really are allowed to keep trading or signing players up until the exp draft, who knows what those protected lists will look like

And if McPhee drafts six goalies, he should immediately be fired.

How is it a gong show? And, why should McPhee be fired immediately if he drafted six goalies? They're assets that can be moved and may be worth more than the skaters available.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

How is it a gong show? And, why should McPhee be fired immediately if he drafted six goalies? They're assets that can be moved and may be worth more than the skaters available.

If teams can keep altering their roster up until the last second, its kind of a gong show

If you think he can trade three goalies between June and September...  I guess.  Not sure who's going to be knocking on his door after teams were able to find success with guys like Budaj and Condon this season.

If anything I would overpick D.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

If teams can keep altering their roster up until the last second, its kind of a gong show

If you think he can trade three goalies between June and September...  I guess.  Not sure who's going to be knocking on his door after teams were able to find success with guys like Budaj and Condon this season.

If anything I would overpick D.

When can teams start moving players again? After the playoffs are done or after the teams involved are done? It seems like it will be a pretty small window and, Vegas won't get the lists until June 18th, I believe.

I would only take them if I knew there was a market. IE they get a call from Chevy who wants a particular goalie in exchange for whatever.

If there are good D available, I agree.

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

If there are good D available, I agree.

I'd load up on the younger prospects...  Brodin, DeHaan, Despres (or Manson), Kulikov, Stone, Faulk, Van Riemsdyk, Oleksiak, Forbort... etc

Add a couple of vets like Jack Johnson, Kris Russell, Jason Demers

Then wait until Trade Deadline and load up on picks...  nothing in this league has trade value like D

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

A few days ago goalie (poster) commented that Jokinen said that the Jets players didn't respect the coach, when Noel was here. He said google it, I did, couldn't find anything.

That's probably cause it was in Finnish, a Finnish Jets fan at HFboards recently posted something on this. Here it is. posted under thread " are players losing faith in Maurice"

good question.

I can't read Finnish, so I don't know if that's what he (Jokinen) actually said.

Millennials :P

1st Period

Ducks wearing the orange unis and fugly logo tonight.

Ducks score one quick and it was a pretty quick shot that barely shows up on replay.

FzgkE9L.gifArmia with the bad shorty 1-1

Laine trips then gets cut.

Perry makes it 2-1 and no its not Katy. If only.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg