Ryan Smith to retire

Jpan85

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Could wait for some NFL cuts too. Some receivers won't make it to the summer and the Bobmers can be there to poach someone.

First choice being McDuffie but I don't see him being cut by Dallas based on his return abilities.  Wait for the Riders to cut a receiver or better yet send Neufeld home for a receiver (not Owens) and one of their first round picks. :D

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

First choice being McDuffie but I don't see him being cut by Dallas based on his return abilities.  Wait for the Riders to cut a receiver or better yet send Neufeld home for a receiver (not Owens) and one of their first round picks. :D

Yeah, I think McDuffie will be there until he drops a return, which won't happen until at least August. (Because that's what seems to happen, not because I expect him to fail)

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he was making a LOT more than that....closer to 200k....

Might be a blessing in disguise if true.

I was hoping he would come back and earn every bit of his salary (he showed well down the stretch)...but we have an assortment of riches at the receiver position, even without him.  Not to mention that we're starting to find our own import players more often as our scouting database continues to improve.

I wonder if the Bombers knew about this when they went hard at Denny?

8 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Might be a blessing in disguise if true.

I was hoping he would come back and earn every bit of his salary (he showed well down the stretch)...but we have an assortment of riches at the receiver position, even without him.  Not to mention that we're starting to find our own import players more often as our scouting database continues to improve.

I wonder if the Bombers knew about this when they went hard at Denny?

I think they knew about this when they signed Stafford.

1 minute ago, gcn11 said:

I heard it was closer to 300k. Seriously though...two tweets by CFL insiders at the time of his signing had him making 118k and 140k respectively. He was nowhere near 200k.

I remember reading 185k...

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

$140 is the number I remember. $200k for a guy coming off one decent season would be crazy.

In fairness, I said "closer to 200k" (than $120k).....now, I may have Smith/Dressler contracts mixed up, but I could swear it was north of 150k, for sure...

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

$140 is the number I remember. $200k for a guy coming off one decent season would be crazy.

I agree. Especially with his injury history. I'm not sure who reported the 185k but I saw 3 different numbers and none of them come close to 200k.

Just now, Noeller said:

In fairness, I said "closer to 200k" (than $120k).....now, I may have Smith/Dressler contracts mixed up, but I could swear it was north of 150k, for sure...

Dressler got 175k, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wondered about Gurley myself. Wish Smith the best but the timing kinda sucks. If it is job related, not health related (which I doubt with his concussion problems last season) & he knew he had to make a choice I just wish he let the Bombers know a month & a half ago as there were some pretty good receivers available then we could have pursued. Having said that, he still has to look after himself first so he made the best decision for him & his family.

How do you know this job offer didn't just come in this week??