Ryan Smith to retire

Jpan85

Good luck to Smith in the future....I'll always remember that Velcro catch and his spunky attitude...He hasn't mentioned anything 'health wise' for his decision but I'm guessing it had a lot to do with concussion.. A job in finance has it's own headaches but nothing compared to the ones you can suffer in football....Best of luck in the money game Ryan.

35 minutes ago, Stickem said:

He hasn't mentioned anything 'health wise' for his decision but I'm guessing it had a lot to do with concussion.

He doesnt give a specific reason but the 1st line of his statement says his body isn't healthy enough to keep up anymore.

Well we'll also have that bizarre TD grab and great WSF performance to remember him fondly by.  Actually after that WSF game, I was excited to see what he could do this year if he reamined healthy. It was by far the first time he was living up to his potential last season. But it is what it is. Good luck Mr. Smith. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

In fairness, I said "closer to 200k" (than $120k).....now, I may have Smith/Dressler contracts mixed up, but I could swear it was north of 150k, for sure...

Nothing good ever comes from questioning my intangible goo...

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

In fairness, I said "closer to 200k" (than $120k).....now, I may have Smith/Dressler contracts mixed up, but I could swear it was north of 150k, for sure...

Man, research your posts... you can't just going off like that...   :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Man, research your posts... you can't just going off like that...   :rolleyes:

From John  Hodge: 

"Smith signed a monster 3-year, $450,000 deal with the Bombers prior to the 2016 regular season."

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/31/ryan-smiths-retirement-means-bombers/

So, $150k/year......let's put 'er to rest....

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

How do you know this job offer didn't just come in this week??

I don't but if you read his statement it's pretty clear that he can't play football anymore for health reasons. I just wish he'd have told the Bombers two months ago as I think he knew then (based on his comments) that he wasn't coming back.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They'll never last all 18 games. We know at least one of them will miss games due to injuries. We have virtually nothing behind those guys.

Receiver is not a position I would be so concerned with.  If what you say does happen, there are people that can be called.  The Tori Gurley's of the world will always be around.

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They'll never last all 18 games. We know at least one of them will miss games due to injuries. We have virtually nothing behind those guys.

Most teams are in the same boat. I'd like to see more depth and suspect a guy like Gurley gets re-signed but not panicking.