CFL Draft

Floyd

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

The more I think about it, the more I think this may be much ado about nothing. If this guy was good enough, passport or not, he woulda at least had a cup of coffee up here by now. Seems like a really really small chance that this guy is actually going to be worth a first round pick...

You pays your money and you takes your chances

On 4/13/2017 at 0:28 PM, Dr. Blue said:

Also interesting... NFL Prospect rankings.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Justin Senior - 220

Eli Ankou - 807

Geoff Gray - 769 (45th at OG)

Antony Auclair - 552

BTW. Last year in the NFL draft only 11 offensive guards were selected.  It's hard to imagine Gray even coming close to being drafted in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

BTW. Last year in the NFL draft only 11 offensive guards were selected.  It's hard to imagine Gray even coming close to being drafted in the NFL.

Nice to see/read you Colin. Pretty interesting stat. Wouldn't be surprised to see us take Gray

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

going into the NFL now as a guard is like getting drafted in baseball as a closer. A tackle can allways slide inside, but few guards can push out to tackle. Other wise theyd allready be playing tackle. 

Gray is a different animal though based on his athleticism and size alone. Some team could easily want him based on that alone. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

going into the NFL now as a guard is like getting drafted in baseball as a closer. A tackle can allways slide inside, but few guards can push out to tackle. Other wise theyd allready be playing tackle. 

Gray is a different animal though based on his athleticism and size alone. Some team could easily want him based on that alone. 

You could very well be right about his freakish size.  However, in total between tackles, guards, and centers there were only 42 players selected last year in the draft. It would really be a case of coming off the board to draft him IMO. It would be interested to see high how he would go in the CFL is he is undrafted but receives a free agent contract with a small or minimal bonus.  Would love to see this guy be the next Chris Walby here in Winnipeg. 

26 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

You could very well be right about his freakish size.  However, in total between tackles, guards, and centers there were only 42 players selected last year in the draft. It would really be a case of coming off the board to draft him IMO. It would be interested to see high how he would go in the CFL is he is undrafted but receives a free agent contract with a small or minimal bonus.  Would love to see this guy be the next Chris Walby here in Winnipeg. 

Let me clarify, i dont think gray gets drafted. I do think he is a priority FA for at least 1 team. His skill set and size combination is 100% worth a contract and year on the PR. 

I cant imagine him falling lower then the late 2nd round in the cfl draft. But thats pure speculation on my part. Even signed as a first day FA hes worth the risk of a 2nd rounder all day imop. Ol dont normally fall too far in the draft. 

11 hours ago, Floyd said:

Tricky part is that every argument to pick Gray is an equal or stronger argument to pick Ankou...

except for the fact gray is a guard, which every team in the cfl uses. and ankou is a nose tackle, and does any one in the cfl run the 3-4 currently? People talking about various DTs needing to trim down to closer to 300 lbs, guys like butcher but ankou is note ably shorter and heavier. Ankou should have far more interest from the nfl as well. Ankou is more in a position like tony auclair. Probably heavy nfl interest, questions of positional fit in the cfl etc. 

Reasons to pick gray that dont apply to ankou? You can never have enough NI ol. Ni ol is allways the hotest position in the draft and chances of gray slipping very far arent good. DL with nfl interest can slide a good bit. NI ol is generally the safest pick in the draft. DL, even from a us school not soo much. Gray is a local product so we should have a lot more knowledge on him. Not to mention the closeness of the bisons program to the bombers. Taking gray would long term be a shift in our ratio.  Should we take ankou and he works out we move a canadian for a canadian. Even if butcher hits we dont carry the kind of big dl bodies to back up 2 ni dts. etc. 

Ankou is a whole other situation to consider from gray. If any thing else id compare drafting him to drafting a WR. Either would have a chance to take a starting position, be on the active roster and make an impact rotationally at worst right away. Of course ankou and nfl interest makes picking him high risky helps right now pick. Cant say how they line up head to head but colling would be here this year, and would fill the exact same spot. 

Yes.... while there are only 40-50 OL drafted to the NFL each year, there are another 100 or so signed as priority FA.  And once they've got that FA contract, you can count on them not being in the CFL for at least a year... if they don't make a practice roster at least, they often will wait to see if they can catch on somewhere else later in the year.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Yes.... while there are only 40-50 OL drafted to the NFL each year, there are another 100 or so signed as priority FA.  And once they've got that FA contract, you can count on them not being in the CFL for at least a year... if they don't make a practice roster at least, they often will wait to see if they can catch on somewhere else later in the year.

A signee may or may not be on the roster that year. If they make it through mini camp, do the full or most of the TC, and dont sit around for too long hoping some one else picks them up as a FA, they might get to the cfl for what the 1/3rd mark? For a rookie TC and pre season is huge. Practice is based around winning the next game, correcting problems from the previous game(s),  etc. Its much less about getting guys reps to learn and improve. TC is all about getting guys in action, working with them and evaluating them. Not to mention the chance to get into actual game situations against another team, and be allowed to work things out no matter the score or game. Those things are hugely valuable to a rookie. 

Havent looked at the schedule yet so im not sure where the miss camp point would be (mini camp invite, mid tc cut etc) but short of a guy thats very much ready to step in and contribute (which is rare) that first year is shot. 

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Gray would be better off coming directly to the CFL.  Start within 2 years. Dominate within 4 and then take a shot at the NFL while he's still young enough to be appealing.  

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Gray would be better off coming directly to the CFL.  Start within 2 years. Dominate within 4 and then take a shot at the NFL while he's still young enough to be appealing.  

The Brett Jones method.

Of course, it's not usually that simple.  Opportunity doesn't always knock twice, so if he has a chance at the NFL right now, he needs to take that chance.  Your way sounds great but not so much if he ends up on a terrible CFL team, or one with a bad coach, or he gets thrown into the starting lineup too quickly and gets beaten all day.

Worst case scenario, if he goes to the NFL is that he gets cut and comes back to the CFL with a big paycheck and a starting spot waiting for him and a lot of experience against the best, meanest football players in the world.

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

If hes looking at a camp invite, i would agree. If however a team is gonna sign him he should take it. Even if he only lasts camp the bonus and money he'd get for camp would be massive. IF its just a camp invite i would agree that he should use it as leverage to get a hefty deal to come straight to the cfl. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Sure would be nice if Bob Wylie was still our OL coach - that would be a big draw...

One guy really being overlooked imo is Chris Mulumba - think he's a dark horse for the bombers first overall

I really dont think hes in the picture for first over all at all. (no inside info just my 2c) Idk if he'd even be a guy to look at with the no3. He was smaller then listed, is a guy that probably needs a year of seasoning on teams, and then still doesnt have the up side henoc had (imop). 

Not counting ankou, senior and gray due to nfl interest, I still cant see him going over vandervoort, bladek, woods, etc. Wr and OL are money picks in the cfl. Even the misses (our misses aside) tend to be serviceable players. Its positions teams tend to stock up and value highly every year. May not like vandervoort, but you cant question that with his 1 on 1s his stock could not have gone down in this draft.

Also I dont think waggoner could fill the same spot as mulumba. So you cant even use one to back up the other as depth. Youd need to pass on a possible starting NI else where for a guy thats probably a back up and for whom you dont have another ni back up.

Id take the chance on colling over mulumba. Neither first though. I think with the no1 its gonna be between gray and ankou depending on nfl interest. Maybe vandervoort if the other two get too much interest or the club falls/fell in love with him from tape/interview/work outs. 

At 5, depending on who we take first behar, maybe colling, one of the guys who is gonna fall (ankou, bladek ,gray, vandervoort, woods or ekitake)  or even a risk on some one with an nfl camp invite but not a deal is gonna be hard to pass on. (mainly senior) 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Sure would be nice if Bob Wylie was still our OL coach - that would be a big draw...

One guy really being overlooked imo is Chris Mulumba - think he's a dark horse for the bombers first overall

Yup. He's pretty dark, alright.

CFL Draft (Mock 3.0 I think)

1. Wpg - Gray - Can’t say no to Gray if he’s not drafted.
  2. Sask - Bladek - Sask needs OL, plain and simple.  Woods is a project.
  3. BC - Vandevoort - Wally pick Vandevoort both for need and to be a ****.
  4. Ham - Spooner - Spooner could step in, Ham needs to shore up OL
  5. Esks - Ankou - Esks gamble on Ankou’s NFL chances and ruin bomber fans draft dreams.
  6. Wpg - Behar - Behar can step in immediately on ST, maybe starting REC by Labour Day.
  7. BC - Colling - Buono plays it safe and gets a potentially game ready DL
  8. Cal - Mulumba - Cal builds depth behind Singleton
  9. Ott - Ekakitie - Top DL in the draft is still on the board… Ott loves DL
  10. Tor - Woods - Want to say Popp goes completely off the board - like Gosselin or something - but he still loves Cdn tackles
  11. Sask - Luke - Team genius stays conservative
  12. Mtl - Augustine - Kavis Reed reaches a bit
  13. Ham - Woodson - Ham keeps building Cdn DB depth.
  14. Esks - Picton - Esks reach for a receiver.
  15. Wpg - Herdman - Osh and Walters high five. 
  16. BC - Wright - Buono high fives himself.
  17. Cal - Senior - Huf gets an intern to pick BPA.
  18. Ott - JS Roy - Another Frenchie for Ottawa

I could see Woods dropping further,  think DL drop because there's so many this year.

Edited by Floyd

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

CFL Draft (Mock 3.0 I think)

1. Wpg - Gray - Can’t say no to Gray if he’s not drafted.
  2. Sask - Bladek - Sask needs OL, plain and simple.  Woods is a project.
  3. BC - Vandevoort - Wally pick Vandevoort both for need and to be a ****.
  4. Ham - Spooner - Spooner could step in, OL needs to shore up OL
  5. Esks - Ankou - Esks gamble on Ankou’s NFL chances and ruin bomber fans draft dreams.
  6. Wpg - Behar - Behar can step in immediately on ST, maybe starting REC by Labour Day.
  7. BC - Colling - Buono plays it safe and gets a potentially game ready DL
  8. Cal - Mulumba - Cal builds depth behind Singleton
  9. Ott - Ekakitie - Top DL in the draft is still on the board… Ott loves DL
  10. Tor - Woods - Want to say Popp goes completely off the board - like Gosselin or something - but he still loves Cdn tackles
  11. Sask - Luke - Team genius stays conservative
  12. Mtl - Augustine - Kavis Reed reaches a bit
  13. Ham - Woodson - Ham keeps building Cdn DB depth.
  14. Esks - Picton - Esks reach for a receiver.
  15. Wpg - Herdman - Osh and Walters high five. 
  16. BC - Wright - Buono high fives himself.
  17. Cal - Senior - Huf gets an intern to pick BPA.
  18. Ott - JS Roy - Another Frenchie for Ottawa

I could see Woods dropping further,  think DL drop because there's so many this year.

I like bcs draft better then ours in that :s

Its gonna be interesting to see who slides, i think some of those guys will go higher then that, but in a deep draft like this some things gotta give. 

Aside from who we pick there are a few of the things im interested to see at the draft, in no order. 

1) where auclair gets picked.

2) where/when colling goes.

3) the general order of the top 5 dl. Ankou, ekakitie, colling, boateng and luke is a lot more DL talent then we normally see in the cfl draft. 

4) where gray goes. Good ole manitoba boy. 

5) how high ante mitre goes. I like him, and his ability to contribute on teams right away.

6) how the riders manage to screw up their draft further. 

7) what buono does. Thats allways worth watching. 

Assuming we don't pick a receiver first overall, the very best player ie lineman will be one of the top six who will actually sign with us .... signing a top six lineman means more than being right on subltle differences about who is better than who ... having a top lineman SIGNED before we draft him with our first overall is the only thing that makes sense to me ... otherwise pick your favorite receiver and use the number six spot to get involved in the nfl/cfl crapshoot of who be here at training camp and not down south flaunting their wares

The asset of first overall pick is about the power of positon (getting a top player signed) rather than the power of judgment & opportunity (to potentially land the most talented player out there) ... there is a huge difference and we need to understand that

Edited by BigBlue