CFL Draft

Floyd

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Did you watch any BCFC games or are you just quoting stats? My son coached for the Rebels. I saw a number of his games including their win over the Sun during the regular season & I went to the CJFL Championship game in Langford. The Sun lost their mojo after their loss to Saskatoon. They struggled at times. Yes, they won some games but they weren't the juggernaut they usually were in 2016. They lost to the Rebels in the BCFC Championship game. Now my son has left the Rebels & is the qb coach/passing coordinator for the Sun this season. So I'm hoping that the Sun indeed do indeed get their mojo back throwing the ball & are once again juggernauts in the BCFC for 2017. :)

I did actually i played for broncos some years back now, and I have a soft spot for the league, even though it is a tier below the prairie junior teams and those are a tier below the cis. Questioning if I watched it when you called it "langford", Thought their passing game was effective or efficient, not knowing when he signed and what games he played doesnt make it look like you did. It doesnt matter who you have at WR when you cant get them the ball. They didnt involve him at all, and he still did well. Especially when you look at the last time he actually played a regular season game before that. 

So, getting things back on track, here's a really neat piece from Duane Forde about some "sleeper picks" for today's draft. I remember hearing some time ago about how there was another Ralph brother (Brock and Brett's youngest bro) coming, but then I lost track of it....

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-draft-six-sleepers-and-four-not-so-sleepers-1.744990

"6. Jimmy Ralph (REC, Alberta) – The younger brother of former CFLers Brett and Brock might be the best athlete in Raymond, Alberta’s first family of football. He began his college career at Weber State and, after a redshirt season in 2013, transferred home to join the Golden Bears. In 2015, he ranked fifth in the nation with 862 receiving yards but sat out last season. The knock against him is his size (5’10”, 185 lbs.)...but that’s also what they said about his brother Brett, who led all CFL rookies in receiving in 2005."

43 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I did actually i played for broncos some years back now, and I have a soft spot for the league, even though it is a tier below the prairie junior teams and those are a tier below the cis. Questioning if I watched it when you called it "langford", Thought their passing game was effective or efficient, not knowing when he signed and what games he played doesnt make it look like you did. It doesnt matter who you have at WR when you cant get them the ball. They didnt involve him at all, and he still did well. Especially when you look at the last time he actually played a regular season game before that. 

Like I said, my premise never was his talent. he indeed has that. My premise was questioning the decision to play junior football as really he had more to lose than to gain. I'm speaking injury risk here. Luckily for him, he got thru the season unscathed. if you said that his time with Okanagan turned into a conditioning stint then I'd agree. But I don't agree that he signed with the Sun as just a conditioning stint. He came there to play & pad his stats.

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-draft-seven-thoughts-about-seven-positional-groups-1.744993

Duane Forde with last minute analysis...

His top prospects are - Judge, Behar, Ekakitie, Luke, Colling, Spooner, Wright

Interesting that now both Dunk and Forde are not ranking Vandevoort as clear #1 REC and maybe not even first round

Interesting that everyone has decided that Canadians don't play receiver anymore.  The receiver rankings are based more on what they think they can provide on special teams.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Interesting that everyone has decided that Canadians don't play receiver anymore.  The receiver rankings are based more on what they think they can provide on special teams.

Or is everyone GM that excited about Vandevoort that they're all downplaying his skills... ?

Just listening to Dunk's podcast ... these picks make the most sense of any mocks I've seen.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/06/3downpodcast-2017-cfl-draft-preview/

1. Wpg - Ekakitie

2. Sask - Judge

3. BC - Woods

4. Ham - Bladek

5. Edm - Schram

6. Wpg - Gray

7. BC - Luke

8. Cal - Colling

9. Ott - Evan Johnson

Edited by Floyd

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

So, getting things back on track, here's a really neat piece from Duane Forde about some "sleeper picks" for today's draft. I remember hearing some time ago about how there was another Ralph brother (Brock and Brett's youngest bro) coming, but then I lost track of it....

"6. Jimmy Ralph (REC, Alberta) – The younger brother of former CFLers Brett and Brock might be the best athlete in Raymond, Alberta’s first family of football. He began his college career at Weber State and, after a redshirt season in 2013, transferred home to join the Golden Bears. In 2015, he ranked fifth in the nation with 862 receiving yards but sat out last season. The knock against him is his size (5’10”, 185 lbs.)...but that’s also what they said about his brother Brett, who led all CFL rookies in receiving in 2005."

The most famous Brock is still Connor. He was the "you want my take or what?" guy on Jim Rome.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

yeah great day for Jimmy

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

just to be clear. I never called the Rebels Langford. I said they play out of Langford, BC & are not called the Victoria Rebels. They are called the Westshore Rebels. The Raiders play out of Nanaimo & are called The Vancouver Island Raiders.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Let's get back to the draft. Will fans be happy if the Bombers select Faith Elkakitie? Is he the best player available? Should the Bombers still pick Gray at 6 if he's available?

I'll play... I don't think that Faith is a first overall talent, but I'm resigned to the idea that he will be our pick. He should be able to rotate right away and we need another NI DL.

As for Gray at 6... That's what I'd do. Someone said he got a 5K signing bonus, so they have less than the cost of a good party for the new guys in him right now. I expect he will be looking for work in the CFL by 2019 and he will have a couple of pro years under his belt under the best football coaches and facilities in the world.

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Let's get back to the draft. Will fans be happy if the Bombers select Faith Elkakitie? Is he the best player available? Should the Bombers still pick Gray at 6 if he's available?

picking gray is nuts .... he is career nfl-er ... chances of him ever playing cfl is less than 5% ... so use your imagination some place where it could be useful

got to go with Walters judgment at #1 .... and we don't need the best player available, we just need a good player that will sign us and play for the next 3 years with us

BTW Walters having predraft contract negotiations with Faith is brilliant

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'll play... I don't think that Faith is a first overall talent, but I'm resigned to the idea that he will be our pick. He should be able to rotate right away and we need another NI DL.

As for Gray at 6... That's what I'd do. Someone said he got a 5K signing bonus, so they have less than the cost of a good party for the new guys in him right now. I expect he will be looking for work in the CFL by 2019 and he will have a couple of pro years under his belt under the best football coaches and facilities in the world.

agree here. although there might a possibilty that we trade that #6.

If not Ekakitie.  Then who?   I for one don't want to waste a #1 draft pick on the possibility that the player doesn't stick around in the NFL for 5 - 6 years.  How many times on this site did posters say that Mulumba or Bilukidi will be in Blue & Gold next season?  Still waiting and Bilukidi has retired.   

I don't want to play that waiting game.    Ekakitie may not be a sexy pick but its the smart pick and I believe will pay off for many years to come.  

Football's back and I for one couldn't be happier.   

24 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

picking gray is nuts .... he is career nfl-er ... chances of him ever playing cfl is less than 5% ... so use your imagination some place where it could be useful

got to go with Walters judgment at #1 .... and we don't need the best player available, we just need a good player that will sign us and play for the next 3 years with us

BTW Walters having predraft contract negotiations with Faith is brilliant

He has conversations with agents of every possible pick at one too.

10 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

If not Ekakitie.  Then who?   I for one don't want to waste a #1 draft pick on the possibility that the player doesn't stick around in the NFL for 5 - 6 years.  How many times on this site did posters say that Mulumba or Bilukidi will be in Blue & Gold next season?  Still waiting and Bilukidi has retired.   

I don't want to play that waiting game.    Ekakitie may not be a sexy pick but its the smart pick and I believe will pay off for many years to come.  

Football's back and I for one couldn't be happier.   

I'd pick Gray at 6. Like it was said, he got a $5,000 signing bonus which means the Packers will see what he does at OTA's & training camp & go from there. There isn't a huge investment by the Packers in the kid. Besides, if the last pick in the draft is Mr Irrelevant what does that make players signed as FA's after the draft?? So, I'd take the guy as he's a local product who played at the U of MB before someone else did. Not excited about the Elkakite selection if that is what we do but it may be the best decision Walters makes under the circumstances.

Edited by SpeedFlex27